Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We Don't Want to Sell Bennett"

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Poyet can be a bit like that, like "i worry about things on the training ground and pitch, i don't want to deal with this kind of thing. Next question...".

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I reckon he'll stay....for now. Come the summer, he'll go if we don't get promoted

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I think your all getting your knickers in a twist a bit premature. TB has said he wants us back in the Championship as soon as possible. We are top of the table, four points clear with a game in hand. We play the kind of football that footballers want to play.

Do we need to sell? No .If we carry on playing this we will be in the Championship next season. TB may be a poker player who likes to take risks, but he is no fool. Selling your best asset half-way through the season when your top is pure madness. Gus want's to keep him.

I think he will stay.

And if any player wants to leave this us now at the most exciting time for this club in years. Then let them. Because good times are coming no matter what.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I dont think Gus is worrying in that he has said we dont want to sell, but its up to the chairman, the message goes straight to TB! Now is the time to back arguably the most sought after manager in the lower leagues!

In my opinion, if they want him that much, tell them to come back in the next window!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We fans contribute to his wages.

That's not the same as paying them. If a customer where I worked came in and started demanding to know if I was off to another employer I would tell them to get stuffed, as it is none of their business.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
He didn't sound optimistic however that is probably because the decisions are in Tony Bloom's hands not his.I feel that as a shrewd financial operator(Bloom) that losing our best player will be to too expensive if it costs us promotion. I don't know if Norwich will be his final destination if he left as they don't seem like a big spending club, I think QPR are a major threat.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe Gus wasn't necessarily down about the whole issue but it reflects his dislike of the transfer window per se. EB's head is bound to be turned if a "bigger" club is showing interest and who wouldn't be. But perhaps someone can help here I thought Norwich were not particularly wealthy, I know QPR are, but nothing yet appears to be coming from them.

TB now has to show the true extent of his ambition, the player is under contract and so the club are not obliged to sell. I for one believe in TB wholeheartedly and that he will tell the inbreds to Foxtrot Oscar.

Added to which why would he want to go to a god forsaken place like Norwich (I know I lived nearby) plus much more rain and it will become the sea!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I listened to the interview and was quite pleased. Not sure what others heard that I didn't. Bottom line is Gus wants him to stay. Bennet didn't play like an unsettled player today. The club have said he is not for sale. All that to me means that he will stay.

I just hope all this doesn't effect the way he plays. He is a young man who could find this all a bit distracting but at the moment his feet seem firmly on the ground.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This goes hand in glove with having a team on top of the division. If we had crap players that no one wants, then we would be in a relegation scrap. I dont want to lose Bennett, the same as everyone else. If he went it would be a big blow for the squad, but it would not be the end of the world. Even Gus said "thats football" he knows the score and I dont belive he would stand in the way of a player bettering himself. But that is the whole point, stay and be a part of something on going, or go for the quick fix. I honestly belive we will be competeing with Norwich next season, at the top end of the championship. Lets hope Elliott sees it the same way, he seems like a lad with his head screwed on.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Hes on a loooooong contract. We can insist he stays until end o season at the earliest amd re-access it then depending where we finish.

Hes not going to devalue, and as mentioned if we go up his value would more than double as a championship player.

His roots are here, his misses is settled and we could be on the verge on great things, finally. He simply cannot f***ing go during this window.

Gus obviously wants him here, defining moment for sure. If TB lets him go Gus will be fuming and who knows what happens next.

(apart from that bloody GREAT day!!) :)

Sep 1, 2010
We don't know the details of the contract though do we. There could be all sorts of clauses in there we do not know about. Ultimately, it's the big dollar that usually wins

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Won't happen - I understand that Norwich want to reinforce their squad now to push for promotion. No good for them to wait.

.......Norwich maybe cant wait. However Bennett ,the club and maybe clubs other than Norwich can ! I believe this is the way to approach this bid and keep the player ,at least to the summer.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
On the offical site gus says we dont need to sell him and we are going to keep him, thats good enough for me! End of thread!:thumbsup:

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Gus Poyet tonight issued a hands-off warning to any clubs contemplating making bids for any of the stars in his table-topping squad.

The Albion boss revealed there were a number of Championship clubs' scouts watching today's 3-1 win over Peterborough United - but says he is not under pressure to sell and that his players are not available for sale during the transfer window.

Poyet explained, "I always say that I hope we can get better all together as a club, as a manager and as players. If that does not happen then someone may leave first, but at the moment we are getting better together, and the players are all here.

"Today there were six or seven Championship clubs' scouts watching and I don't like that because I'm sure they were here looking at some of our players.

"The transfer window is the key. Ideally I would like to go to bed tonight and wake up on the 1st February with the same players we have now, and possibly a few more."

The Uruguayan also confirmed that Norwich City have enquired about winger Elliott Bennett - who scored Albion's second, after his 20th assist of the season had created the opening goal for Chris Wood.

"Norwich are in a very good position in the Championship and there is interest and we can't deny that, but it's something we can control because we don't want to sell him. We need Elliott, so we are going to fight to keep him."

Meanwhile Poyet was delighted with the way his side approached today's match with Peterborough, as two early goals set up a 3-1 win and second double of the season.

"The way that we started the game was the key to today's win. We knew it was going to be difficult and Peterborough gave us a real test today - especially in the second half.

"You have got to give credit to the opposition. After they scored their goal they made it difficult for the last half hour, so the victory was even sweeter; and when you see the table it proves it was a very important three points."

Poyet also praised two-goal striker Chris Wood, adding, "The first half of Chris was his best for the club in terms of his movement and control and the way that he was always in the right position.

"All of our strikers are playing well at the moment so I will try to use them when I can, because we have a lot of games coming up and that is going to make it tough for us."

Good news...until the plot thickens

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
He didn't sound optimistic however that is probably because the decisions are in Tony Bloom's hands not his.I feel that as a shrewd financial operator(Bloom) that losing our best player will be to too expensive if it costs us promotion. I don't know if Norwich will be his final destination if he left as they don't seem like a big spending club, I think QPR are a major threat.

I am a QPR supporter and I can promise you there is almost no chance Bennett will come to QPR.

We have rich owners, yes, but they have basically told Warnock there isn't much money to spend in this window. And anyway, midfield is where we are strongest. Taarabt, Faurlin, Derry, Smith, Ephraim, Cook, Rowlands and Vaagan Moen mean we are the best stocked club in the Championship in that department.

If there was a scout from QPR at the game today, I would guess he would be looking at Murray. We have lost 2 strikers for the season in the last week and for a team at the top of the Championship are sadly lacking in goalscoring threat.

Murray will be alot cheaper than Bennett obviously and probably within our current means.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I am a QPR supporter and I can promise you there is almost no chance Bennett will come to QPR.

We have rich owners, yes, but they have basically told Warnock there isn't much money to spend in this window. And anyway, midfield is where we are strongest. Taarabt, Faurlin, Derry, Smith, Ephraim, Cook, Rowlands and Vaagan Moen mean we are the best stocked club in the Championship in that department.

If there was a scout from QPR at the game today, I would guess he would be looking at Murray. We have lost 2 strikers for the season in the last week and for a team at the top of the Championship are sadly lacking in goalscoring threat.

Murray will be alot cheaper than Bennett obviously and probably within our current means.

Makes sense. I'd be gutted to lose Murray though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here