Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We Don't Want to Sell Bennett"

Lush

Mods' Pet
Anyone who's been to the season ticket presentation - or even just seen the stadium go up - can see that the club's aspirations are Championship MINIMUM. So why sell one of our best players for a million when it will cost us a lot more than that to buy an equivalent player in a season's time to compete in the Championship?

Norwich must either be offering silly money or Bennett really wants to go - and I don't think the latter is the case.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
The other big worry is that if bloom decides to sell bennet this could seriously piss poyet off and he may start to look at the ambition of the club and whether or not he wants to stay at a club that's prepared to sell major parts of a jigsaw he's taken months to put together

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The other big worry is that if bloom decides to sell bennet this could seriously piss poyet off and he may start to look at the ambition of the club and whether or not he wants to stay at a club that's prepared to sell major parts of a jigsaw he's taken months to put together
This would be my big concern, but i think TB is fully on the Gus Bus as much as we are, and we're not in the same financial state as we've been in the past where we've snapped club's hands off when they've made offers for players.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I agree with the value of 500/750k for Bennett,with sell ons ,as much that i wish double that amount .I guess that is why we are after Harley ,Exeter would i guess dont want to lose him ,thats football . However if i was Bennett i would wait untill the summer and see what his position is then (it could be even stronger than now ).

May be its rose tinted glassed, but for someone with 20 goals assists and top of the league 1, with a high chance of being in the Championship in a few months anyhow, 500/750k is NOT enough, Bennett has won us many points this season, including 3 today. I would be concerned about the rest of the season without him.

I would be very disappointed if we sold him and even more so less than 1-1.5m.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Anyone who's been to the season ticket presentation - or even just seen the stadium go up - can see that the club's aspirations are Championship MINIMUM. So why sell one of our best players for a million when it will cost us a lot more than that to buy an equivalent player in a season's time to compete in the Championship?

Norwich must either be offering silly money or Bennett really wants to go - and I don't think the latter is the case.

Totally agree.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
15.gif

All unwelcome intruders, stay clear!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The big thing here is that to attract promising young players or those after a second chance, we need to be seen to let them fulfil their ambitions. If we hold Bennet back IF he wants to leave, then agents may think twice about their player coming to us.

It's a tough one and our previous chairman was criticised in equal measures for holding on to players like Zamora and also letting others go like Currie or Cullip. I know that Bloom as did Knight will do the best for the club in the long term.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Would be absolutly gutted to lose him. It'll have to be a bloody good offer for us to accept it. We spent 250k on him yeah? He's got to be worth at least 750k now. He's always struck me as a very grounded guy and he does seem to love life down here so that does give me some hope that he'd rather stay. He's getting regular first team football here and we could be in the same division as Norwich next year. The grass isnt always greener etc

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If he wants to go then let him go..If a player wants to leave then i don't want him here....We thought our season was f***ed when KLL got crocked, now we have improved.Gus the man will find someone else.

Gus is the man.

If Gus was thinking of leaving I'd be genuinely worried.

If Bennett goes, make sure we get a decent price (which is a certainty as he's on such a long contract) and let Gus find a replacement.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
The big thing here is that to attract promising young players or those after a second chance, we need to be seen to let them fulfil their ambitions. If we hold Bennet back IF he wants to leave, then agents may think twice about their player coming to us.

It's a tough one and our previous chairman was criticised in equal measures for holding on to players like Zamora and also letting others go like Currie or Cullip. I know that Bloom as did Knight will do the best for the club in the long term.

Unfortunately this is true.

If he wants out he will go no doubt. But I think the decision will be his. Personally I feel if he waited and does not take the first decent club that expresses an interest he will do lots better than Norwich bloody city.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Elliott Bennett loves it at Brighton & is happy both on & off the pitch, I don't think he is going to have his head turned very easily & I don't believe that Norwich would be the answer to his next career move. Yes they are a bigger club & are equipping themselves well in The Championship but in all probability we will be playing them next season. Money does affect most decisions in football these days but there are no major financial constraints on us as there have been for so many years so unless it was a huge offer there is no reason the club would have to consider it. We paid 200k I believe rising to 250k with add on's for a young lad who had potential, he is certainly fulfilling that potential so I'd hazard a guess that 1.5 million would be a fair valuation so there would be a tidy profit but we don't need to raise money at the expense of upsetting the equilibrium of the team which is what would happen if we sold. I'm not saying we don't need money but we are raising it through sales of ST's for next season & with the extra revenues that The Amex is generating we are no longer a selling club. It comes down to whether Elliott wants to go & I believe that he is happy & knows his immediate future is right here,with a team that is performing & becoming a force under the brilliant management of Gus & Tanno.

I'd be gutted if he did go but I don't think that he is going anywhere just yet, he was reportedly house hunting this week with his girlfriend & with everything that is happening with the club he knows that the future is bright & he can achieve his career goals right here.

Someone mentioned the scouts were out in force today & the QPR contributor to this thread thought they may be looking at Murray but isn't CMS have supposed to have requested a transfer so a few were probably watching him & their keeper who also wants out. Gus will do his best to keep this team together unless someone really does want out in which case he won't stand in their way, lets not get too worked up about all the attention our lads will receive because what we have is golden & any player would want to be a part of this.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here