Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"We Don't Want to Sell Bennett"

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I rather suspect he's made his mind up... it's them or us... and it sounds like it's them. Gus will try to convince him, but the club can't compete with the big boys... yet... our time is coming however... with or without those, whom lack the wit to see it... of this I'm sure.

Keep the faith.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
It'll come down to what Bennett himself wants - If he wants to go the club have to give in and sell him or have him here if he doesn't want to be. So hopefully he wants to stay.

Losing Bennett could also be the gateway to losing others ie Poyet. Look whats happened to Bournmouth since they sold their top striker. What effect selling Bennett will have on the desire of the club at this present stage could be devasting. His performance today showed how influencial he is to the style we play. It would be a huge blow if we lost him.
I'm really hoping he stays but the ultimate decision will be down to the Chairman, lets hope he gambles on keeping him.

Think the message was to Elliot and not the Chairman. Don't think Mr Bloom too bothered about 1.5 million for a great player he has to replace

All of these

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This is madness. Bennetts on a 4 year contract. Tell him he can leave in the summer if he wants out. We can't be pushed around

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Bennett is the one player in our squad I genuinely don't think we could replace at the moment, regardless of any fee we might receive if he did go. We have an embarassment of riches in midfield but he is the single free role playmaker in our squad who makes a difference. 20 assists demonstrates that. We could lose Murray or Barnes, even replace Greer or El-Abd, maybe even splash some cash if Calderon or Painter went. But Benno unlocks teams like no-one else. I'm worried by this as Gus sounded less than happy and its now becoming increasingly clear there is no smoke without fire, Norwich do appear to want him. Rumour on Norwich forums is QPR are also lining up for a bidding war. If that were true, money wouldn't be much of an issue for them. We can bandy around figures of 500k, 1m, 2m, 5m as much as we like - if a 7-figure sum is offered we'll accept and who would blame Elliott for going to a team pushing for promotion to the Prem. As far as I can see I think we overestimate our resources - we're asset rich with the squad and new stadium, but (relatively) cash poor, hence being outbid for strikers in the summer, or repeatedly saying we won't pay over the odds for our targets. I would guess after spending 300k on Noone we won't have more than about 500k left in the bank for transfer fees, and 1m+ for Bennett would do that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Benno will stay, as he obviously loves it here, his girlfriend works for the Albion? so all the more reason to stay where he is adored !

That's what was said on the radio (the girlfriend) Poyet said he would fight and it was down to the chairman. As Barrel of Fun said, getting into the Championship would be worth far more than Bennett's fee from Norwich. I hope Bennett chooses to stay and play regularly here where he is wanted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont want to see Bennet leave but could that be the reason we have bought Noone and are reputedly still in for Ryan Harley at Exeter. Somebody was saying at the game today that Wolves have a 25% sell on for him so the fee would need to be very high to make it worthwhile selling him.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Agreed. Everything about him is quality- his attitude, his workrate. he is an incredible defender for a winger, takes set pieces, plays just as well in the middle, and has a great footballing brain. If he goes, and he isn't replaced, we will struggle to go up.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Bennett is the one player in our squad I genuinely don't think we could replace at the moment, regardless of any fee we might receive if he did go. We have an embarassment of riches in midfield but he is the single free role playmaker in our squad who makes a difference. 20 assists demonstrates that. We could lose Murray or Barnes, even replace Greer or El-Abd, maybe even splash some cash if Calderon or Painter went. But Benno unlocks teams like no-one else. I'm worried by this as Gus sounded less than happy and its now becoming increasingly clear there is no smoke without fire, Norwich do appear to want him. Rumour on Norwich forums is QPR are also lining up for a bidding war. If that were true, money wouldn't be much of an issue for them. We can bandy around figures of 500k, 1m, 2m, 5m as much as we like - if a 7-figure sum is offered we'll accept and who would blame Elliott for going to a team pushing for promotion to the Prem. As far as I can see I think we overestimate our resources - we're asset rich with the squad and new stadium, but (relatively) cash poor, hence being outbid for strikers in the summer, or repeatedly saying we won't pay over the odds for our targets. I would guess after spending 300k on Noone we won't have more than about 500k left in the bank for transfer fees, and 1m+ for Bennett would do that.

thats all well and good but.......who cares if our transfer fund is empty right now...the current squad are top of the league...the summer is when we will be looking to buy as we will know where we are...
for me it would be madness to sell him now and the player himself would know that, even if he wanted out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I dont want to see Bennet leave but could that be the reason we have bought Noone and are reputedly still in for Ryan Harley at Exeter. Somebody was saying at the game today that Wolves have a 25% sell on for him so the fee would need to be very high to make it worthwhile selling him.
We were after Noone as soon as we played Plymouth in September. Reid said that Poyet had a word with him at half time. He was giving Painter a torrid time down there. Luckily Reid didn't spot it and switched sides in the second half. So nothing to do with Bennett.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I agree with the value of 500/750k for Bennett,with sell ons ,as much that i wish double that amount .I guess that is why we are after Harley ,Exeter would i guess dont want to lose him ,thats football . However if i was Bennett i would wait untill the summer and see what his position is then (it could be even stronger than now ).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My favourite Albion player (would refer you to the thread I started months ago - first time I've had a favourite player for years) and I'm very sad to say that I think he is going. He always waves to the fans after the game - he's a lad that really gives a damn about every game - but this time he walked over to the South stand and waved and then walked away, then waved again. He looked pretty sad. I have a very bad feeling about this.

Then Gus's interview. The "it's down to the chairman" comment basically say that if they offer enough, the Cahirman may take it. Personally, I agree that he is our most valuable and least easily replaced player. He's a 7.5/10 every week without fail. Taken the gloss of a good day in League One.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
thats all well and good but.......who cares if our transfer fund is empty right now...the current squad are top of the league...the summer is when we will be looking to buy as we will know where we are...
for me it would be madness to sell him now and the player himself would know that, even if he wanted out.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we should sell him - in my mind he is irreplaceable, as others have said, I'd have genuine fear for automatic promotion and maybe even for playoffs if we lost him. Unfortunately common sense like "we're on the up" or "we're top of the league" doesn't speak as loudly as money does in football. My point is, if we're not as cash-rich as we think we are, and if Norwich/QPR offer a seven-figure transfer fee - I don't think even Bloom will be able to turn that down. Which would spell disaster given his influence on our season so far.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Was it me or did he not look over joyed at scoring today. He looked almost miserable. Maybe he knows he is off

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I would be surprised if Bennett and Murray were the only players being looked at by other teams tbh, we are where we are in the league for a reason. Gus will have known for a while something like this would happen this transfer window, hopefully TB is of the opinion that if the gus wants to keep the player then we keep the player, it is also worth noting how much benno has improved since gus became manager.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Agreed. Everything about him is quality- his attitude, his workrate. he is an incredible defender for a winger, takes set pieces, plays just as well in the middle, and has a great footballing brain.

Yet on the other Bennett thread you say that if Norwich get promoted (and Bennett goes to Norwich), he would hardly feature in their first team...?

For the reasons you list above - attitude, versatility, intelligence - I believe he probably would. And even if he only starts as a fringe player, he'd probably establish himself fairly quickly.

Oh, and he'd be earning heaps more money.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
i am glum.
if anyone gets him for less than £2m they have a bargain....we spent a lot on him when he was young and unknown and we were shit...to say his value has only gone up by a few hundred thousand is crazy..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here