Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 137 38.4%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 199 55.7%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 18 5.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Putin won't go up against NATO , simple as.
I actually agree, in a military sense. So in that scenario, why not keep giving him a bloody nose? As long as the Ukrainians remain up for the fight (and they certainly appear to be) we owe it to them (as a fellow democratic, European nation) to give them the tools to do it.

Putin has, however, already attacked NATO through subterfuge and weakening the democratic order. Online misinformation almost entirely originates from Russia, for example.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In the US, early voting statutes are enacted at the state level. So, we have 50 different sets of laws regulating a) the time period b) the proof of identification and c) the ballot counting process. It’s a mess. Generally speaking, there are a few weeks prior to Election Day when you can vote either in person or by mail. This has greatly increased voter participation. The fraud is (of course) greatly exaggerated by the losing candidate. It will come as no surprise that Trump voted by mail while shouting that it was a corrupt way to vote. Also, his chief of staff, Mark Meadows, was one of only a handful of North Carolina voters charged with voter fraud. Oh the irony….

Digression: There has been a contentious debate in the US over voter ID laws. The republicans want to require a picture ID (drivers license or passport) the democrats think this is racist because many of their supporters are minorities- and don’t have a picture ID. Interestingly, some polls of African-Americans showed that they generally support voter ID rules. (Similarly, many liberal whites supported the Defund the Police movement- yet polls of African-Americans showed they wanted more police in their high crime neighborhoods, not less) Suffice to say, there are many policies like these where the white liberals think that they are speaking on behalf of minorities - but later discover they are not in agreement.)

For the super interested only- here is a site with all the various states and their rules… https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-...mail-ballot-processing-and-counting-can-begin
That's great - many thanks.

Very complicated, and as many varieties as our differences in recycling between all the local authorities!

We have also just introduced Voter ID - not hugely popular.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Indiana requires I.D. to vote but since I asked for a mail-in ballot to be sent to my house in my name (which I did because I'll be working out of town, in Chicago, about 50-70 miles away on November 5, 2024) and signed my envelope they didn't require an I.D. although I have I.D. I could have used.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I haven't seen Harris interviewed, aside from a few snippets.

I have seen Trump interviewed though. I find it hard to believe that she is worse at it than him.

She seems to be getting more criticism about it than him though, is this anothrt example of her being held to different standards.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone followed this rally at MSG this evening?

Genuinely insane - I’m starting to believe they might be actively trying to lose. I know how ridiculous that sounds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Genuinely insane - I’m starting to believe they might be actively trying to lose. I know how ridiculous that sounds.
Some good theories they know they can’t win so already preparing to ‘mobilise’ . But agreed some of these speeches are blatant racism

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The most logical answer to “why?” is

They’re doing it on purpose.

Have the polls skew as close as possible and then when you lose by a big margin, well it’s clearly rigged isn’t it?

Sorry, I realise how tinfoil I sound.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

The most logical answer to “why?” is

They’re doing it on purpose.

Have the polls skew as close as possible and then when you lose by a big margin, well it’s clearly rigged isn’t it?

Sorry, I realise how tinfoil I sound.

I think a lot of them genuinely don't understand that Puerto Rico is an American territory and the people that live there are Americans.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

It's so appalling and unbelievable that I'm actually wondering if they're trying to sabotage Trump from within.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Trump will be holding a rally at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. I wonder if his choice of venue was an intentional symbolic nod to the rally held there in 1939.

No doubt much of the rhetoric will be creepily similar.

The 1939 rally was documented in this short film....

I posted this a few days ago and judging by tonight's speakers they really are trying to relive the spirit of the 1939 Madison Square Garden rally.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I would prefer Ukraine to cede some land than a never ending bloody , expensive war.
So what happens when he wants more land?
Very hyperbolic on my behalf & I don't think it will happen but what if someone decided to want the Isle of Wight?
When Russia wanted Crimea, everyone pretty much said 'yeah ok have it'.
So if the same happens to us and we give them the Isle of Wight are we supposed to give them Sussex and Hampshire a few years later to keep things simple?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes - but Kamala doesn't do interviews.....
. . . and there is something in the background that will halt his campaign.

If America had't jumped the shark there would be stuff at the rallies that would halt his campaign.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Here is another frustrating thing about the Harris campaign- she “could not find time to meet with Joe Rogan” who has over 15 million listeners. Instead, she went on the “Call Her Daddy” podcast - that covers sexual relationships… and “All the Smoke” with ex-NBA players. Bizarre strategy! So, Rogan finally agreed to interview Trump (after turning him down multiple times)… Rogan has a lot of independent young voters - and she now appears frightened of him in their eyes… not smart.
I was under the impression, Rogan didn’t make the time for her, not the other way round? Least that’s what I heard on the Americast pod
Also heard that Trump did well on Rohan’s podcast

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
I was under the impression, Rogan didn’t make the time for her, not the other way round? Least that’s what I heard on the Americast pod
Also heard that Trump did well on Rohan’s podcast
The Wall Street Journal reported on this a few days ago and said that Rohan offered Harris… but her campaign said they did not have time… yet she found time to do others… Trump was his typical rambling incoherent self- and Rogan did not push back…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here