Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is everyone creaming themselves?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
People are 'creaming themselves' because they are football fans - that is what we do.

We get excited at the start of the season and dream of promotion

We get excited at the start of a cup run and dream of getting to Wembley.

We get excited when new players are brought in because that means we can dream of them getting us promoted.

We get excited when a new manager is appointed, because it might mean we are about to be launched up the league.

Excitement is what we do because it's part and parcel of being a football fan.

He might turn out to be a rubbish signing but at this precise moment in time, that's not the point.

It's all about the pure, unadulterated FUN and EXCITEMENT of being a fan of OUR club.

That's why people are creaming themselves.

Okedokey.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Ban Poyet?

Consider it done. I was pissed off when we beat Charlton. Today's news is the final straw.

Well said Mr B. Having a team on the up and a fantastic new stadium on the horizon is quite frankly not what supporting the Albion is all about. I say let's get rid of Poyet & Bloom and bring back those decent chaps Archer, Bellotti and Barry Lloyd.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Did I say that? No. I just think that, in reality, if he was as good as many are assuming, he wouldn't be dropping down to League One.

Although having had a bit of a browse around the web, it does suggest that this move is more about helping him settle in the country, with another Uraguayan helping him out being a bigger factor than the standard of football he'll be playing.

In answer to your second point - doubt we have - but when has a players price tag been a guarantee of their ability?

*cough* Adam Virgo *cough*

Yes, but surely as a League One club in 16th place he is in about the highest bracket of player we could possibly sign (albeit on loan).

As for Virgo, I see your point although I think Strachan's friendship with McGhee and the nature of the deal surely added at least half a mil to the price.

Also, players from English clubs will almost always cost more than their equivalents at clubs from most other countries. For example, look at how cheaply clubs have bought quality Scandinavian players for over the years from the Swedish and Norwegian leagues and compare to the likes of Lee Bradbury, John Hartson and Kevin Davies who all went for (at the time) colossal transfer fees.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
WW doesn't deserve the vitriol that he receives, but history suggest that he should expect it. It would be a sad day if someone stopped posting their opinion or opinions because they were scared of a 'message board backlash'.

At the end of the day, we are all Brighton fans (apart from the odd few) and WW would appear to go to more games than the vast majority of users on this board. It is not doing the club any harm by being a glass completely empty type character.

Besides, it would be a bit dull without a mirror image of the head in the sand brigade.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
WW, a question for you, were you around in the archer, belotti and stanley era? if so i dread to think how pessimistic you were then.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
WW doesn't deserve the vitriol that he receives, but history suggest that he should expect it. It would be a sad day if someone stopped posting their opinion or opinions because they were scared of a 'message board backlash'.

At the end of the day, we are all Brighton fans (apart from the odd few) and WW would appear to go to more games than the vast majority of users on this board. It is not doing the club any harm by being a glass completely empty type character.

Besides, it would be a bit dull without a mirror image of the head in the sand brigade.

Argus headline tomorrow: 'NSC shock! BOF admits WW fetish' :lolol:

But seriously - fair point.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

To Hiney's point, why not get excited? New players breed excitement and anticipation amongst supporters, what's the point of quashing that excitement for the sake of being contrary?

He is right, this guy could be a sack of horseshit, but he also could be the best thing for our midfield since Alan Curbishley. Rather than be negative about it, why not let the supporters have their 10 minutes of excitement, and then start being negative IF he turns out to be crap. Especially considering that, considering the transfer fee recently paid, and the fact he is coming from a premiership club, the odds are he is going to be at least half-decent.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I don't really see the point of this signing to be honest. We're not going up and we're not going down, so we're just chucking away a load of wages (assuming we are paying him something) on a completely unproven player who has managed to play 2 league cup games in England. The English game (and especially this type of level) is very very different to the level where he impressed Stoke. He may well be fantastic, but at what cost for very little gain? We won't be able to get him on another year loan if he's actually half decent because he'll be off to a Championship. Could argue it's a "statement of intent" maybe but I really can't get too hyped up over him...

Until he has a MOTM performance on Monday obviously....

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I don't really see the point of this signing to be honest. We're not going up and we're not going down, so we're just chucking away a load of wages (assuming we are paying him something) on a completely unproven player who has managed to play 2 league cup games in England. The English game (and especially this type of level) is very very different to the level where he impressed Stoke. He may well be fantastic, but at what cost for very little gain? We won't be able to get him on another year loan if he's actually half decent because he'll be off to a Championship. Could argue it's a "statement of intent" maybe but I really can't get too hyped up over him...

The point is that the signing COULD end up contributing to a superb run-in this season, which will act as a spring-board for the 2010/11 season, which is absolutely vital in the run-up to the opening of Falmer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The point is that the signing COULD end up contributing to a superb run-in this season, which will act as a spring-board for the 2010/11 season, which is absolutely vital in the run-up to the opening of Falmer.

Maybe, but a fantastic run-in till the end of the season doesn't mean an awful lot as last season showed. We could well end up alienating one of two of our midfielders who have done a decent job recently by bunging in an unproven fella just because of a price-tag. I wouldn't want us to run the risk of losing someone like Dicker...

That said I do think he'll do a half decent job. Just seems an odd time to bring him in when the season is pretty much finished for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm sure LuaLua added a couple of hundred to the gate at Withdean last week as did the win at Charlton. We can probably get enough points to stay up without this signing but if we do it with style then people will want to watch.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Big money flop?

Robbie Savage anyone?

Pointless defensive midfield signing?

If he is anywhere near as in my opinion Robbie Savage was then I will be well happy.

Anyone who thinks, like you do, that Savage was a failure here clearly has no idea about football.

Only to be expected from you though as I'm sure you were the person that thought Doug Loft was a good player!!!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Right, firstly I excuse myself if I waffle I've been out for a few drinks with my dad.

I've been a supporter/season ticket holder for over 35 years and finally after many a year we are moving upwards.

Brighton has been seen as a stagnant club for many years due to its financial position and circumstance. Finally to those of us that have seen the bad times and those that have come on board recently the future looks bright.

What with a signing from a premiership side of the likes of £4 million player surely it is the sign of things to come. I really look forwards to the day when this kind of signing and alike are permanent, ones of this magnitude become the norm and that primarily the club can afford!!! We will and can become a club that, not only to be proud of, but, one that can progress.

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Indeed, you want me to "properly debate my view" and yet also want me to "shut up". Genius.

Or perhaps it would indicate that I haven't had much access to a computer today - only fleetingly. My second reply to this thread was on my phone.

Still, I'm here now..

I can get excited about signings - but I'd like to think I'm not going to go overboard.

Of course it's good that we're getting in a premiership player who cost more than I'll ever earn - but there's no point getting carried away before he's ever played a game...

Like this.

He's a defensive midfielder - just because he's called Diego, doesn't mean he's good.

Who said it was a bad thing? Nobody.
I simply had the 'cheek' to point out that until we've seen him play, there's not much point bigging him up to be the League 1 Ronaldo, especially when his CV suggests otherwise (along with the fact that he's moved to this division, and not the Championship).

Will he?
Trying to think of defensive midfielders with "skills on a stick".

Nope.

Indeed, there aren't many on here that can call themselves a reigning NSC 6-a-side CHAMPION! :jester:

For the same reasons as you perhaps?

I enjoy it.

*Shock, horror*

I enjoy all the "thrills and spills" of being a football fan. I'm CHUFFED when we win, gutted when we lose.

The Albion - my local team, the only team i genuinely care about, the only team I pay to watch, the only team I truly want to succeed, and a team that offer me a particlarly rewarding social activity in the form of going to football with friends.

Still, feel free to assume that not following sheep and daring to look at both sides to a story automatically means I want us to lose.

This new bloke - he MIGHT be good. But the overreaction on here today has, for me, been quite incredible.

We've signed a reserve from Stoke in a position where we're currently performing well anyway.

Yes, it's probably a decent addition to the squad. But is it a proven goalscorer who is going to get us the 30+ goals needed to get out of this division? No. If we got one of them, then I'd be "creaming myself".

Still, all of you, feel free to continue to call me a twat for daring to have an opinon.:thumbsup:

okay then

TWAT

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Right, firstly I excuse myself if I waffle I've been out for a few drinks with my dad.

I've been a supporter/season ticket holder for over 35 years and finally after many a year we are moving upwards.

Brighton has been seen as a stagnant club for many years due to its financial position and circumstance. Finally to those of us that have seen the bad times and those that have come on board recently the future looks bright.

What with a signing from a premiership side of the likes of £4 million player surely it is the sign of things to come. I really look forwards to the day when this kind of signing and alike are permanent, ones of this magnitude become the norm and that primarily the club can afford!!! We will and can become a club that, not only to be proud of, but, one that can progress.

:clap2::clap2:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think you'll find he was........:laugh:
Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Manchester+City+Carling+pIxxEvjM7wHl.jpg

awayshirtls2.jpg
That's two different people. And neither of them are Jo. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here