Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone want Andy Murray to do so well?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The sad belief that if enough people paint their faces with Union flags and cram as many of themselves on to "Murray Mount" and scream louder than last year, he can do it.

Whereas in football that NEVER happens...

I'm not a great fan of Murray as I don't like how he plays the game. There are other players I prefer to watch. However, this fact does not mean Murray's a bad player (he isn't). Why can this country not deal with the middle ground in sport? Why are teams/players either the best in the world ever 0R shit? This is very rarely the case, and never the case for anyone's whole career (if you've heard of them it means they're quite good).

I don't think he'll win Wimbledon, and I don't want him to at the moment. US/Australian Open, possibly. Good luck to the bloke.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I don't normally get too involved on NSC threads, but this one is so chock-full of ignorance and lazy bigotry I couldn't resist. Right! *cracks fingers*

Which one? Britain or England? Let's find out...

no

no

mildly jingoistic (and no, definitely not, his diet is now carefully controlled for injury recovery)

Opinion, but baseless as far as I can tell.

He doesn't

He hasn't

He has a dour tone of voice. But he has a very dry sense of humour that you need an IQ of 80+ to get. It's not for everyone (clearly)

1st thing you've got right

What? 17 titles, $16m+ in prize money, Britain's best ever player of the open era.

he is

Yes, lay fans do. And some Scottish fans cheer England, because a large chunk of this country (Britain) is only interested in football at major tournaments, and they don't possess the latent hatred of anything not in their front garden.

Yes.

Because in Tennis, like in most athletics and the majority of sports, we play as Britain, and do so in the Davis cup, the only national contest in tennis.

Haggis eating muppets? Try that out loud in a Glasgow pub at midnight.

Which is ... ? In Tennis he represents Britain.

doesn't

Fair enough. Just as well he's never slated the English then, isn't it.

Or, if you prefer, not hypocritical, but 'realistic'. The hypocrisy is forming an opinion on someone based on crap that you heard and believed because you couldn't be bothered to find out if it was true or not. This thread is full of people telling you you're wrong, but it's easier for you to believe your own bollocks than to go, "OK, I got that wrong, fair enough". It's easier to hate than to understand, isn't it.

Same here!

agree with all of this. terry must be trolling cos hes trying to act like a complete muppet

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:

Because he has the same surname as Judas??

May 17, 2011
1066 country
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:
Agreed, im English, he's a sweaty. They don't like us,nor we do them. He's not good enougth anyway.federa will wipe the floor with him when it comes to it.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
He will be British until he gets knocked out in the 2nd round, i bet you he will be scottish then

This. My dad was in a pub in London watching Roddick vs Murray 2009 Wimbeldon semi-final (Roddick is a hero) and was sitting next to a bloke who was going "Come on Murray, get in there Murray etc.". The moment he lost, the bloke stormed out shouting "Useless miserable Jocko twat".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. My dad was in a pub in London watching Roddick vs Murray 2009 Wimbeldon semi-final (Roddick is a hero) and was sitting next to a bloke who was going "Come on Murray, get in there Murray etc.". The moment he lost, the bloke stormed out shouting "Useless miserable Jocko twat".

There we go, the conclusive proof we were all looking for. My Dad was sitting next to a bloke in a pub...vintage.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If there was anyone ENGLISH who was any good at tennis right now nobody in this country would give a toss about Murray.
...apart from the Scots , but yes totally agree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here