Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone want Andy Murray to do so well?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
he has said he hates england on several occasions:lolol: when?

i like him-more fun to watch and far more gritty and emotional than Henman ever was.....and he's a lot better

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
He's a phenomenal talent and deserves to be applauded for his winning attitude, guts, determination and genuine ability to compete at the top table of international sport, unlike almost any other British team/individual in mainstream sport today. (Cricket team perhaps aside, however lets wait until they come up against a snarling all singing and dancing team like India on home soil, or South Africa away.)

He's a great model for young sports men and women today and has been proven this evening he is capable of tearing almost any other tennis player a new hole when he needs to.

Screw everyone else Andy, play for yourself and not the nation, but then lets hopefully rejoice in a victory in a couple of weeks.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
His passport has him down as the same nationality as is down in MY passport.

What about at the Olympic games? Do you only cheer on English athletes representing the UK? What about Cricket? Are you only backing the ENGLISH members of the test side, who in fact represent both England AND Wales (and a fair few South Africans these days too)?

It's a total nonsense berating him for not being English. If you don't like him, fine, but he is by far and away the best tennis playing talent this country has produced in decades so it's no wonder he gets such support from the nation.

Aside from football, rugby union and the unusual situation with cricket, are there any other sports (team or individual) where the UK is split into four separate countries?

Even US Masters winner Sammy McIlroy seems to enjoy popular support over here, and he doesn't even come from Great Britain.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:

I don't particularly like him either (less to do with the country he was born in, more to do with the fact he completely wastes his obvious talent with his shite attitude) but you try to compare football, where people support the individual countries within the UK, and tennis, where we compete as a United Kingdom.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's not miserable. He doesn't hate England and 'not a bad player' doesn't do him any sort of justice. Other than that...

I support him as he is an enthusiastic and snarling Brit who might just win a major honour. He's fun to watch and a joy to watch when at the top of his game.

Spot on.

Terry - You've joined today, claimed to be in the know about LuaLua, made 28 posts and started about 6 threads :lol:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
This has, of course, been aired previously so .... .

We live in a nationstate which includes England, Wales, Scotland and that part of Ireland.

We have just celebrated Rory McIlroy's win at the US Open, a Northern Irishman and we English, Scots, Welsh, (not to mention the Northen Irish and probably the Irish too) were/are delighted for him and that's the way it should be.

Andy Murray may not be the best copy on grounds of personality, but he is getting better, and further he is a damned good tennis player, probably the best british player ever because Fred Perry played at a level which may have been best of time, but light years away from today's top players and on a different plane to TH.

As I have said previously, we should support the local player/ team because British should be number 1 (although if we have inter UK competition the that becomes different or individuals have specific reasons) for example, not wishing ill for Chelsea in Europe just because you happen to be a Man U fan.

Last edited:

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
Spot on.

Terry - You've joined today, claimed to be in the know about LuaLua, made 28 posts and started about 6 threads :lol:
Thanx for taking time to check me out lol. Thats what this site is for you wally. Its called a debate. You carry on your sweaty sock love in

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
Im not just writing this to piss on peoples parade, but he is a good second rate player. He is nothing above that. He has not and will not ever win a grand slam, he just dont have the bottle. He may come close down the years but he dont have the balls to go all the way. You got more chance of Fred Perry waking from the dead and winning wimbledon before Andy Murray does

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Im not just writing this to piss on peoples parade, but he is a good second rate player. He is nothing above that. He has not and will not ever win a grand slam, he just dont have the bottle. He may come close down the years but he dont have the balls to go all the way. You got more chance of Fred Perry waking from the dead and winning wimbledon before Andy Murray does

Terry from Patcham, I would think the only Parade you'll be pissing on is the magazine at the bottom of your pants drawer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanx for taking time to check me out lol. Thats what this site is for you wally. Its called a debate. You carry on your sweaty sock love in

Alright NEWBIE - Throw your weight around :lol:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
unnecessary cynicism, he doesnt hate england, that was taken out of context, if you listen to him interview now what he says is absolutely right. he gives the opposing player the respect he deserves, and gives a very honest account of his own game.

altho i have it on good authority that he can be a right miserable s.o.b. away from tennis, but then again, who isnt sometimes?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
When has he clearly stated he hates England 'on many occasions'.

He has gone on record saying he doesn't hate England, on many occasions, after a load of mentally deficient pricks started bombarding him with hate mail after his comments when replying to some gentle ribbing from Henman and the reporter.
He has gone on record as saying he dosnt hate England ever since the marketing team realised that its financially beneficial for him to have a more sympthetic profile to the english,they realised that 8 million buckfast swilling piss poor oatmeal savages would contribute four fifths of fuckall to the murray coffers.

larus

So, in your expert opinion, there are only 3 good tennis players in the world then (which must be the case as Murray has been in the top 3-4 for a good couple of years now).

You're a hard person to please. Will everyone else who plays then please just f*** off and leave it to Nadal, Federer and Djokovic.

By your standards then, the English football team is full of a bunch of third rate w***ers who shouldn't be allowed to be on the same pitch as Messi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here