Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone want Andy Murray to do so well?

Beachbum71

Beachbum71
Apr 15, 2011
Shoreham beach
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:

Agree, wholeheartedly. Can't stand the bloke. Dislike his pushy troll of a mother even less.:annoyed:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Here we go again !........ 12 pages of will he ? can he ? iis he British? is he Scottish ? 2 weeks of hearing that its 80 odd years since a Brit won the mens singles.
Two weeks of poor old John MacEnroe having to field constant questions from Sue Barker/ fellow media/Joe Public asking " John, can he win it this year ? " ignoring any interest in the 127 other players involved.

The sad belief that if enough people paint their faces with Union flags and cram as many of themselves on to "Murray Mount" and scream louder than last year, he can do it.

Indeed my ex-wife would spend as much of Wimbledon as possible SCREAMING at every rally that Tim Henman used to play and show no understanding when our young daughter would say " Mum, it's only a tennis match "

Roll on the end :sick:

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
Here we go again !........ 12 pages of will he ? can he ? iis he British? is he Scottish ? 2 weeks of hearing that its 80 odd years since a Brit won the mens singles.
Two weeks of poor old John MacEnroe having to field constant questions from Sue Barker/ fellow media/Joe Public asking " John, can he win it this year ? " ignoring any interest in the 127 other players involved.

The sad belief that if enough people paint their faces with Union flags and cram as many of themselves on to "Murray Mount" and scream louder than last year, he can do it.

Indeed my ex-wife would spend as much of Wimbledon as possible SCREAMING at every rally that Tim Henman used to play and show no understanding when our young daughter would say " Mum, it's only a tennis match "

Roll on the end :sick:

With you on that 1 mate. Cant wait for it to end. Although Sharapova is worth turning over to watch every now and then

Viva Calderon

Apr 29, 2010
Totally agree with terry1 - Andy Murray is anti English saying "he will support any team playing against England" We all have the right to Dislike Andy Murray as he has his right to dislike who he dislikes. But in his position he should not have been so outspoken against the English. I have nothing against the Scots! have many Scotish Friends, Scotland is a Beautiful place, having been there many many times and think a Great many Scots are embarrased by Murrays rants! I for one Don't Like him and hope he looses every match he plays in But would support Scotland if they were playing Brazil, France or Germany etc. Unlike Murray and England OK! Viva Gus! Viva Gustavo! Viva The Albion!!

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
Totally agree with terry1 - Andy Murray is anti English saying "he will support any team playing against England" We all have the right to Dislike Andy Murray as he has his right to dislike who he dislikes. But in his position he should not have been so outspoken against the English. I have nothing against the Scots! have many Scotish Friends, Scotland is a Beautiful place, having been there many many times and think a Great many Scots are embarrased by Murrays rants! I for one Don't Like him and hope he looses every match he plays in But would support Scotland if they were playing Brazil, France or Germany etc. Unlike Murray and England OK! Viva Gus! Viva Gustavo! Viva The Albion!!
I second that

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth

the england comment was a joke to tim henman in a newspaper interview after he took the piss out of scotland

did you not realise? :ohmy: :lolol:

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
This thread is getting soo Boring. Im going to end my participation in this thread with this "Andy Murray is not a bad player, Said he was a second rate player. Okay Fare enough He has been in the top 5 a few years now but he has not and will not ever win a Grand slam. He has to overcome 3 much better players. He wont. I don't like him, he has a bad attitude, he's miserable and because he has everyone hanging out out his arse for 2weeks of the year. I'm allowed to share my views, if I have offended anyone then so be it"
Laters Haters

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I don't normally get too involved on NSC threads, but this one is so chock-full of ignorance and lazy bigotry I couldn't resist. Right! *cracks fingers*

What is it with this country.
Which one? Britain or England? Let's find out...

We are cheering on the most anti English,
no

Miserable,
no

Haggis eating
mildly jingoistic (and no, definitely not, his diet is now carefully controlled for injury recovery)

Opinion, but baseless as far as I can tell.

Why?????? He hates England,
He doesn't

He has said so on many occasions
He hasn't

whilst grumbling his way through interviews.
He has a dour tone of voice. But he has a very dry sense of humour that you need an IQ of 80+ to get. It's not for everyone (clearly)

Hes not a bad player,
1st thing you've got right

but he's not great either.
What? 17 titles, $16m+ in prize money, Britain's best ever player of the open era.

All this BS about him being British?
he is

Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years)
Yes, lay fans do. And some Scottish fans cheer England, because a large chunk of this country (Britain) is only interested in football at major tournaments, and they don't possess the latent hatred of anything not in their front garden.

Yes.

Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different?
Because in Tennis, like in most athletics and the majority of sports, we play as Britain, and do so in the Davis cup, the only national contest in tennis.

Im no scotland hater,
Haggis eating muppets? Try that out loud in a Glasgow pub at midnight.

but im patriotic to my country.
Which is ... ? In Tennis he represents Britain.

If someone slates the country i live then he dont
doesn't

deserve my support.
Fair enough. Just as well he's never slated the English then, isn't it.

Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him.
Or, if you prefer, not hypocritical, but 'realistic'. The hypocrisy is forming an opinion on someone based on crap that you heard and believed because you couldn't be bothered to find out if it was true or not. This thread is full of people telling you you're wrong, but it's easier for you to believe your own bollocks than to go, "OK, I got that wrong, fair enough". It's easier to hate than to understand, isn't it.

Rant Over :rant:
Same here!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here