Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ultras - What's the big idea?

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
I was under the impression this group was the brainchild of kids or those with learning difficulties, hence my suspicion of members in their late twenties. So I will retract my nonce implications.

If they are just 18-24 year olds then my initial assessment was accurate, they are just nerds/geeks/social rejects. No harm to anyone apart from their World of Warcraft enemies.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I was under the impression this group was the brainchild of kids or learning difficulties, hence my suspicion of members in their late twenties. So I will retract my nonce implications.

If they are just 18-24 year olds then my initial assessment was accurate, they are just nerds/geeks/social rejects. No harm to anyone apart from their World of Warcraft enemies.

Well I'm 22 so you got that right but apart from that? Just tragic really.

I have plenty of friends (Real ones not fb or whatever funny reply you have).
I don't like and have never played world of warcraft.
I love my football.
I enjoy my career (Student Nurse).
I love my girlfriend.
I also enjoy music (Shakedown on Saturday)
And enjoy going out drinking with my friends when I have time.

Don't think I'm all that odd.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I was under the impression this group was the brainchild of kids or those with learning difficulties, hence my suspicion of members in their late twenties. So I will retract my nonce implications.

If they are just 18-24 year olds then my initial assessment was accurate, they are just Untitleds. No harm to anyone apart from their World of Warcraft enemies.

It seems you have described yourself in this post.

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
Depends if you count a post on a forum declaring your hobbies and detailing your personal life to convince someone you don't know that your not a nerd. Some might find that a bit odd in itself. Sounds like your trying to convince yourself more than me.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Depends if you count a post on a forum declaring your hobbies and detailing your personal life to convince someone you don't know that your not a nerd. Some might find that a bit odd in itself. Sounds like your trying to convince yourself more than me.

Is anyone that simple? Just making a point that your being incredibly stupid if you think you must be a geek as you think so. Dont be a prat, Just have fun and chill out.

arundel gold

Aug 20, 2011
Just stop calling yourself ultras and putting that on your flags, then all this arguing can finish. Because you are far from being 'ultras' its just plain embarrassing and not original.

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
Is anyone that simple? Just making a point that your being incredibly stupid if you think you must be a geek as you think so. Dont be a prat, Just have fun and chill out.

Bored now so I will have to take your word for it. Never seen anyone fight being called a geek so vehemently online. You have cyber balls kid, I salute you.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm going to leave you to it now as your either a WUM or a Palace fan trying to get the attention that your mother/Aunt/Sister doesn't give you.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I might form a complimentary group concentrating on Harveys and pie consuming to cater for the more mature fans.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Just stop calling yourself ultras and putting that on your flags, then all this arguing can finish. Because you are far from being 'ultras' its just plain embarrassing and not original.

As I said above I agree but I am only one person I can't make the whole group change on my say so it would have to be what a majority want. If you don't like it get involved and voice your opinion and things may change to a more acceptable format to you.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The group has been around since last season. The thought behind trying to help make a good atmosphere at Falmer was that there isn't always good atmosphere at other new grounds, Cardiff being a prime example this season, along with many others at other times. Also we all thought the atmosphere at Withdean was terrible and it would be a shame not to try and do something for Falmer. As it turns out thus far the atmosphere has been superb at our new home but there was no guarantee of this, so a group of like minded fans got together to try and help the atmosphere and create banners/flags etc. I don't see how anyone can get annoyed at anything that has been done so far, bar the use of North Stand rather than Brighton at the start of one chant and that really is no big deal in itself.

Pantani, so far so logical.

I doubt anyone has any difficulty with a group of fans who want to create an atmostphere at Falmer, Withdean was soul destroying in this regard.

The nub of the debate on this thread and others however is that the group of fans is seeking to define itself as "ultras".

It seems bizarre that a group that is evidently non violent is seeking to identify itself by using a term synonomous with violence. As you well knowm in Europe an "ultra" is a football hooligan and the collective "ultras" would represent a football firm. No more no less.

So why is this?

There are plenty of other alternative names this group could have chosen, but this smacks of a group wanting to create credibility by using the machismo of football violence.................."pwopa nortee" as some of these "ultras" would probably say on other threads ridiculing football related violence.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry to disappoint.

Why have a go then?
What's your problem mate?
You feel so threatened by a group of younger fans that wanna create an atmos, it'd almost like you don't want them to. You'd rather have a flat atmos when things aren't going right on the pitch than a group still singing?

They shouldnt use the term ultras, they should stick to calling themselves NSK and involve and try to get the whole stadium involved. Thats my only criticism. They make noise, they support the Albion.

You read your posts back and then you'll understand if I asked if you were palace. Also that flag thing is a wind up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here