Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Quite. The street where I live is semi-permanent home to the world's supply of ex-ambulances, ex-Welsh-single-decker-buses, scabby lorries over-painted with flowers and doves and whatnot. Bless. Our street is obviously on some kind of word-of-mouth travellers Guide To Hassle-Free Parking-Up. They arrive in the middle of the night, they leave in the middle of the night. Never see them come or go. On one memorable occasion last Summer, a thirty ton army truck pulled up bang outside our house and stayed for a couple of months. The owner was considerate enough to stick a note through our door pointing out his truck was taxed, insured and MOT'ed, and that'd he'd be moving on shortly. Hard to fault the guy really. as indeed any of the travellers in our street. They never leave a bit of rubbish, indeed it's in their best interests to leave no trace at all, lest it ruin their chances of a repeat stay. Never given me, nor I suspect anybody in the entire street, a single moment's grief. Hasn't stopped the wanker residents getting up a petition tho. Doubtless on account of some precieved threat to their precious property prices. So now we're faced with Residents Parking, and all the bureaucracit crap that comes with it. If there's any such thing as karma, the petition getter-uppers will end up with a Pay'n'Display machine right outside their front door, evil snobby shits that they are.

This is my experience of the situation on (I think) the same street. I fully concur.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park
Quite. The street where I live is semi-permanent home to the world's supply of ex-ambulances, ex-Welsh-single-decker-buses, scabby lorries over-painted with flowers and doves and whatnot. Bless. Our street is obviously on some kind of word-of-mouth travellers Guide To Hassle-Free Parking-Up. They arrive in the middle of the night, they leave in the middle of the night. Never see them come or go. On one memorable occasion last Summer, a thirty ton army truck pulled up bang outside our house and stayed for a couple of months. The owner was considerate enough to stick a note through our door pointing out his truck was taxed, insured and MOT'ed, and that'd he'd be moving on shortly. Hard to fault the guy really. as indeed any of the travellers in our street. They never leave a bit of rubbish, indeed it's in their best interests to leave no trace at all, lest it ruin their chances of a repeat stay. Never given me, nor I suspect anybody in the entire street, a single moment's grief. Hasn't stopped the wanker residents getting up a petition tho. Doubtless on account of some precieved threat to their precious property prices. So now we're faced with Residents Parking, and all the bureaucracit crap that comes with it. If there's any such thing as karma, the petition getter-uppers will end up with a Pay'n'Display machine right outside their front door, evil snobby shits that they are.

We have to park our works van in the road you mention and we get countless complaints from the residents as it "lowers the tone of the place"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I suppose one way of looking at this issue would be to ask yourself how would you feel if a vigilante death squad hell bent on wiping out the traveller population starting systematically bumping these people off.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah fancy that, someone getting the hump about having a bastard great single decker bus parked outside their house, how lovely it must be to have rusty old ambulances and army lorries parked outside your front door, i cant think of anything id rather look out upon than that,unbelievable that these "evil snobby shits" would rather not have toerag new age travellers and their scruffy vehicles cluttering up the street outside the house they have no doubt paid good money for.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I want to know where this street is where there is a split between the nimbys and the enlightened ones.

Do the crusties still park round Queens Park in the summer? That was funny as half of them were from there anyway, proper Queens Park groovy kids who had been in the Woodcraft Folk.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
exactly what taxes were they paying? council tax? income tax? leaving human shit and mess tax? doubt it very much

And do they get fined for keeping their children from school for more than ten days? I do wonder how these children get educated?
But like many others we must turn a blind eye to these types of issues.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I want to know where this street is where there is a split between the nimbys and the enlightened ones.

Do the crusties still park round Queens Park in the summer? That was funny as half of them were from there anyway, proper Queens Park groovy kids who had been in the Woodcraft Folk.
yep, so do i , where is this street

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah fancy that, someone getting the hump about having a bastard great single decker bus parked outside their house, how lovely it must be to have rusty old ambulances and army lorries parked outside your front door, i cant think of anything id rather look out upon than that,unbelievable that these "evil snobby shits" would rather not have toerag new age travellers and their scruffy vehicles cluttering up the street outside the house they have no doubt paid good money for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are PUBLIC roads we're talking about?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I knew someone would call me a pikey for using my camper. Cheers Skintgull, you're an insulated moron.

Relax my friend, it was a windup as i couldn't believe nobody else had done it. I have to say i was disappointed at the lack of anyone biting until now! It's definitely not the life for me but if you're happy like that then fair play to you, you're certainly not the type of person this thread is about.

Plus other factors like human rights come into play (don't get me started), whereby if there are newborn babies and so on in the encampment they can't just be moved on.

Just as a matter of interest, what proof do they use other than the actual child itself? I always presumed none of these people (the proper Pikeys, not the nicer 'traveller' bunch) actually existed officially or had birth certificates and NI numbers?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Correct me if I'm wrong but these are PUBLIC roads we're talking about?
yes they are, and i stand by everything i said,so you would be quite happy for all these shitheaps to be parked outside your house would you ?

**waits for the predictable answer of " I wouldnt have a problem with it" , even though he lives in hove and knows there isnt any chance of it happening **

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yes they are, and i stand by everything i said,so you would be quite happy for all these shitheaps to be parked outside your house would you ?

I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Besides, there is a camper van community by The King Alfred and in Medusa House which is pretty close to me (but I will grant you the fact it is significantly distant as to not intrude on my daily tooings and frooings).

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
For someone who calls himself getreal1, I would suggest you take a pinch of your own advice.

It would be easy to boot out an entire field of travellers on the spot if the law provided for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't as things stand, and the police have to act within the confines of the legislation as it exists- ie to serve the travellers with notice, make sure they leave when they're supposed to (which is most of the time) and then go round in circles doing exactly the same thing when they turn up at the next site.

Plus other factors like human rights come into play (don't get me started), whereby if there are newborn babies and so on in the encampment they can't just be moved on.

This isn't Iran or China, the FILF can't just turn up and CS gas an entire field of travellers just because nobody wants them there.

You called.....:flameboun

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The road in question is Preston park avenue which runs from preston drove to stanford avenue along the top of preston park.

The vehicles in question are legally parked, there is no noise or mess and you rarely see anyone from the vans

If i was a resident there, i'd be more concerned about the UNBELIEVABLE amount of litter left EVERY evening by middle class luvies having barbeques or birthday parties at the top of the park !!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here