Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not outside your front door though is it ?

Agreed. But, at present I have a very undesirable and huge 'Intercooler 2800 (whatever the f*** this means)' 4x4 outside my house. It's a blot on the landscape and if I had my way it would be towed but he (bound to be a bloke isnt it?) is entitled to park there.

The VW over the way looks nice though.

We have to park our works van in the road you mention and we get countless complaints from the residents as it "lowers the tone of the place"
I've known residents of certain streets in Hove complaining about bus routes being introduced into their area.

- "Why are you sending buses along residential streets?"
- "To serve the residents".

For some reason this answer wasn't considered reasonable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've known residents of certain streets in Hove complaining about bus routes being introduced into their area.

Can you name and shame the streets?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

It would certainly be considered quite smug and smart alec-y, and perhaps a little inappropriate from public servants if it was said to me and I had justified concerns about bus routes being put on my street, at the very least. If not provocative.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Can you name and shame the streets?

why would it be shameful? Perhaps its seriously inappropriate for buses to serve these streets in theri view, and local government are being pompous know all tits about it, as is not uncommon.

If you say anything against fantastic egalitarian buses you are a Thatcherite Nimby in their view, you can imagine how the tits would get you to dig your heels in just out of f***ing principle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah fancy that, someone getting the hump about having a bastard great single decker bus parked outside their house, how lovely it must be to have rusty old ambulances and army lorries parked outside your front door, i cant think of anything id rather look out upon than that,unbelievable that these "evil snobby shits" would rather not have toerag new age travellers and their scruffy vehicles cluttering up the street outside the house they have no doubt paid good money for.

Well said Man Of Haywards Heath. Mustn't let jolly old standards drop, what.

Death to the scruffy!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Am I missing something here? How can anyone who pays their income taxes, rates, water rates and national insurance out of their hard earned cash defend these travellers?

We all have to pay our way to make sure our communities can have the facilities we all need. How do these people contribute to this system?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why would it be shameful? Perhaps its seriously inappropriate for buses to serve these streets in theri view, and local government are being pompous know all tits about it, as is not uncommon.

If you say anything against fantastic egalitarian buses you are a Thatcherite Nimby in their view, you can imagine how the tits would get you to dig your heels in just out of f***ing principle.

What has appropriateness got to do with it? If a bus can fit down a road or street then that's then end of it surely? Or does each street now come with a list of pro and prescriptive uses?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah fancy that, someone getting the hump about having a bastard great single decker bus parked outside their house, how lovely it must be to have rusty old ambulances and army lorries parked outside your front door, i cant think of anything id rather look out upon than that,unbelievable that these "evil snobby shits" would rather not have toerag new age travellers and their scruffy vehicles cluttering up the street outside the house they have no doubt paid good money for.

You better hope that these 'rusty old ambulances' have some medical life left in them....they'll be useful when your high-blood pressure finally takes its toll.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What has appropriateness got to do with it?

quite a lot I would have thought. See below.

If a bus can fit down a road or street then that's then end of it surely?

No, why would it have to be? That's just nonsense. It may put traffic pressure on other areas (although I am sure they have done some FOOLPROOF computer modelling) or people may just not f***ing want a bus going down their street because it is a quiet street where their kids play out in. What's wrong with that objection?

Or does each street now come with a list of pro and prescriptive uses?

That would be a very sensible way to approach things.

Anyway we dont know what street it is so we can debate the tits off it all we like. Its not the point. What I heard was

Buses - everyone knows they are good, and stop tigers becoming extinct and save people from typhoons in Bangladesh - everyone knows this why object unless you are monumentally selfish?
Hove - say no more you know what they are like
Urban planning - WE KNOW BEST

You know that as well as I do.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No, why would it have to be? That's just nonsense. It may put traffic pressure on other areas (although I am sure they have done some FOOLPROOF computer modelling) or people may just not f***ing want a bus going down their street because it is a quiet street where their kids play out in. What's wrong with that objection?

Anyway we dont know what street it is so we can debate the tits off it all we like. Its not the point. What I heard was

Buses - everyone knows they are good, and stop tigers becoming extinct and save people from typhoons in Bangladesh - everyone knows this why object unless you are monumentally selfish?

You do talk some shit. How would an occasional bus put 'traffic pressure on other areas'?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Am I missing something here? How can anyone who pays their income taxes, rates, water rates and national insurance out of their hard earned cash defend these travellers?

Ahhh...another NIMBY. Now where have i recently read about a long running battle with some NIMBYs.

Funny when the boot's on the other foot

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I would hazard a guess and suggest that the roads in question are not leafy quiet cul-de-sacs but streets. Even so I think people are way too precious about where they live and forget that the roads are public highways which we all have equal use of. If cars are allowed up and down a road I do not see why a bus cannot use it as well.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Ahhh...another NIMBY. Now where have i recently read about a long running battle with some NIMBYs.

Funny when the boot's on the other foot

Do you actually understand what NIMBY is an accronym for? He hasn't said 'travellers are alright unless they come near my place'. He's said as they contribute nothing to the system that costs the rest of us thousands in taxes every year, how can anyone defend them FULL STOP?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd like to see some of the Pro- travellers opinions when they move onto the Falmer building site or later the car park. Won't be so quick to defend the pikey little fuckers then I bet.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
For someone who calls himself getreal1, I would suggest you take a pinch of your own advice.

It would be easy to boot out an entire field of travellers on the spot if the law provided for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't as things stand, and the police have to act within the confines of the legislation as it exists- ie to serve the travellers with notice, make sure they leave when they're supposed to (which is most of the time) and then go round in circles doing exactly the same thing when they turn up at the next site.

Plus other factors like human rights come into play (don't get me started), whereby if there are newborn babies and so on in the encampment they can't just be moved on.

This isn't Iran or China, the FILF can't just turn up and CS gas an entire field of travellers just because nobody wants them there.

Your quote from my post was partial. I reflected that if a VIP (The Queen I suggested) was scheduled to land in the area, the police would act. When for example, Prince Charles landed in East Brighton Park in a helicopter some years ago, had travellers been in the park in the hours prior to his arrival, they would have been removed. I say this regardless of whether the legislation now in force was effective then or not. I take your point that the police should act as the law permits, but I question whether there is a genuine will to act on very many occasions when they could but do not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here