Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' facilities at F...sorry, our new stadium

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We can have refreshment bars, named under legendary players. like Leicester and few other teams do. We can have a bar called Peter Ward Bar also Alan Mullery bar etc.
What about NSC Arms ?

We can have refreshment bars, named under legendary players. like Leicester and few other teams do. We can have a bar called Peter Ward Bar also Alan Mullery bar etc.

So long as they pay for the naming rights.

Show us your money should be the underlying theme throughout the place.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Perhaps, but then this is the real world; do we want a football club that is successful or one that concentrates on catering to niche needs? Yes, hundreds of Albion fans drink real ale, but thousands don't.

spot on

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The supporters bar lounge sounds fantastic, lots of Albion memorabilia dotted around the place, and you could have the makings of a very nice pub!

I for one would try and pop in for a drink before the game, and the real ales sound very tempting. Used to be a lager only man, but am liking ales a lot more so would definately like to see some selection of ales in there.

Managed to find an ale from Arundel in Wetherspoons the other week during the ale festival, lovely:drink:

I'm assuming that the thousands of Albion fans who don't want to drink real ale will be able to get their franchised pint of lager or cup of third-rate teabag in warm water in exactly the same way as they can at most other football stadiums in the land - ie by queuing up on the concrete concourse, just behind the seats. That's where the big money will be made.

What Attila is talking about is an EXTRA facility that is run by the fans and for the fans.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm assuming that the thousands of Albion fans who don't want to drink real ale will be able to get their franchised pint of lager or cup of third-rate teabag in warm water in exactly the same way as they can at most other football stadiums in the land - ie by queuing up on the concrete concourse, just behind the seats. That's where the big money will be made.

What Attila is talking about is an EXTRA facility that is run by the fans and for the fans.

So perhaps there should be a membership fee required to use it ?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Or free entry with a season ticket

Not a bad idea however I expect a crushing no to this as STH are very unpopular at present :rolleyes:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Not a bad idea however I expect a crushing no to this as STH are very unpopular at present :rolleyes:

But when we get Falmer all the bad fans and moaners will be STH's as well, so there shouldn't be a problem!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But when we get Falmer all the bad fans and moaners will be STH's as well, so there shouldn't be a problem!

Dream on - nice thought but I doubt it. Anyway 20,000 STH moaners is gash !

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
People want chips. People want burgers...
Yes. Depressing isn't it. :rolleyes:

Let's hope that by 2010 people might be wanting half-decent food instead... Hot, freshly made, organic soups, Pret-style classy sandwiches, wraps & rolls to go, tasty, filled jacket spuds... FFS even kebabs are healthier than nasty, greasy, artery clogging, stinking burgers and chips!

Now, how about a Seagulls Sushi Bar...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Let's hope that by 2010 people might be wanting half-decent food instead... Hot, freshly made, organic soups, Pret-style classy sandwiches, wraps & rolls to go, tasty, filled jacket spuds... FFS even kebabs are healthier than nasty, greasy, artery clogging, stinking burgers and chips!

the whole point in going to football is for beer and grossly unhealthy food though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After all this debating we will finish up with Carlsberg and/or Fosters, John Smiths Smooth or Tetley and a McDonalds for the food. Mind you even that would be better than the rubbish they serve now in the North Stand.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

Indeed it is. Just as it is at every other successsful football ground in the country.

No problem with that - if it brings in the cash. Of course it won't bring in as much as that franchised lager in the concrete concourses that you're kind of belittling.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8

I do hope you're taking the piss with those comments. For a start, it would not make economic sense. But mainly, this is football we're talking about. Wraps and rolls to go? Are you some kind of American city tosser? It's exactly that kind of bullshit that I want to get away from at a weekend. Pret a Manger. For f*** Sake. Go and watch Ars*nal with all their dull, silent, cous cous metro clone fans...

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
With the limitations on access in mind:

1) Events on the pitch before each game. This doesn't have to be much, but games including the Albion kids program (I presume there is one - I'm a bit out of touch of late) or decent performances by our cheerleaders. In the hour building up to kick off it's imperative to entice people to the ground early both to help access and to get them spending their money INSIDE the ground rather than in town or on the way.

2) After the final whistle, match highlights (if this is possible - don't know how much TV rights impinge on running replays at the ground) and / or player interviews on the big screen (we will have one, I presume). Again, this keeps people in their seats a little longer after full time helping to stagger the queues outside.

3) For evening / winter victories, how about a little firework display after full time of blue and white to light up the night sky? Again, makes people stick around a little longer to see it.

Other random thoughts:

4) Along with the inevitable food and drink points inside the ground, why not have a club shop stall selling shirts, flags etc? I don't just mean a club shop (will there be one?) but rather a point inside the stand for impulse purchases.

5) Might seem a bit idealistic, but how about a trolley dolly selling snacks to people in their seat? Many people who can't be arsed to head down to the food point will often buy from a young lady buzzing around the stand. I do every time. :)

With 4) and 5) I'm thinking they can be tried out in the Main Stand and see how they go. I honestly think there's a market of impulse purchases to be tapped into with a club shop stall. I also don't know why more clubs don't have people sold to in their seats. You only need one or two people wandering around for ten minutes at a time, and it seems to happen in most other stadium / audience settings - why not football?

Just my two cents. A lot of people just turn up for 90 minutes and leave, but there's so much more to be made out of a match day than just the time the players are on the field, and a lot of money to be made. Families especially are a huge market and the ones most likely to be enticed there early and kept after.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We need a decent trophy cabinet/area where we can display replicas of all of our past glories - and that includes the Charity Shield!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We need a decent trophy cabinet/area where we can display replicas of all of our past glories - and that includes the Charity Shield!

This is a quote from the Supporter's club newsletter (written by Tim Carder)
One outcome of the meeting was a pledge from Dick Knight that there would be a social club/supporters’ bar of some sort at the stadium. John Baine (aka Attila the Stockbroker) made an impassioned plea for this, backed by the other supporters present. It is likely to be in the same vicinity as the club shop and the museum (which I’m very happy to say has also been included) at the north-western end of the stadium, in the prime position for arriving supporters.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But I'm afraid any contemplation of too much real ale is unrealistic: there may be times even during the season that it doesn't open for two weeks - and no decent beer can survive that.

Except there are plenty of examples where sports grounds do have real ale - some are even in the GBG: Carlisle Rugby Club is one that springs to mind. For years I was a member of London Welsh Rugby Club which managed to offer two or three real ales to punters even though there was often a two or three week gap between games.

And for those people who ask who's going to drink there (given that there are plenty of pubs in Brighton) I point out that North Brighton isn't exactly blessed with pubs - there are just three pubs north of the old Poly serving the whole of Bevendean, Moulsecoomb, Bates Estate, Coldean and Falmer (there might only be two if the landlord of the Swan does what he threatens and closes the pub) and neither the Hikers nor the Bevendean sells decent beer. I am dubious about the viability of a 7-day operation but I don't it's a totally mad idea.

BTW, don't think that real ale drinkers are some form of tiny minority either. They may be outnumbered by the lager boys but not by as much as some people think. And sales of the big branded lagers are falling and real ale sales are on the rise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here