Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' facilities at F...sorry, our new stadium

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This might not be quite everyones prefered idea, but in light of the fact the grounds facilities will probably be run by organisations who offer the best deal to the Albion, meaning highest rent/franchise rates, which means piss beer and scrote burgers, perhaps the club could approach Wetherspoons. They are a large corporate outfit, but at least they sell real ale, and endevour not to provide botulism and salmonella with their food.

Like I said, not the perfect solution that Atilla suggests, but perhaps more likely to succeed.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
This might not be quite everyones prefered idea, but in light of the fact the grounds facilities will probably be run by organisations who offer the best deal to the Albion, meaning highest rent/franchise rates, which means piss beer and scrote burgers, perhaps the club could approach Wetherspoons. They are a large corporate outfit, but at least they sell real ale, and endevour not to provide botulism and salmonella with their food.

Like I said, not the perfect solution that Atilla suggests, but perhaps more likely to succeed.

westons and a bloody good breakfast sounds a GREAT idea :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Have we gone completely mental? lets build the ground first.

Afterwards we can have the Harveys lounge or whatever.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
and i doubt very much that students would go to a bar at the stadium when there own bars on campus are likely to be RIDICULOUSLY cheap

Could do a student night every now and then - sell all the stock that is about to go out of date for cheap prices...?

I have to say that I love the idea of a 'fans' bar - and I think it could really work on matchdays. I am not really convinced of the value of it on non-match days, although I'm sure it could be filled with Christmas parties etc throughout December.

That seems to be all that happens at the 'fans bar' in the north bank of Molineux - and that is based right in the city centre.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have we gone completely mental? lets build the ground first.

Afterwards we can have the Harveys lounge or whatever.

No! We must get this out for debate sooner rather than later. If we let the club do exactly what they want, there is a real possibility of merely selling to the higest bidder - which does NOT guarantee quality. We must ensure the club provides what we want, not let the club build and THEN we whinge 'but we wanted this, and we wante that...' Proactive rather than reactive, I think.

Piers, your concern about being allowed to have a pub in one of the stands is not really a problem. If you're talking about interior design issues of the stand, I don't think it's an issue. Hardly any of the designs of the interiors in any of the stand have been - excuse the pun - set in concrete. If you're talking about licensing issues, again the club will apply for - and get - it's licensing permission.

Countrygull - I see you're not trying to be negative, but if we don't have this debate, it's guaranteed it won't work. I don't think Attila was talking about the fans benefitting financially from the pub, I think he means it's run by the fans for the use of and the social benefit of the fans - without any outside 'interference'. Of course the money would go to the club. I, too, am not convinced by the 'open seven days a week' argument, but if a way can be found to run the 'pub' on a more regular basis than matchdays, we should look into it.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
All the ideas about a fans bar are excellent. It's going to be a stadium in the middle of nowhere, and we don't want it to end up like the Madejski. I think we should take the lead in trying to get semi decent local catering in too. It doesn't need to be anything spectacular, but some decent burgers and sausages at a proper grill with a good atmospheric bar would ensure my attendance. I've been to matches in the South of France, and having barbecues and good beer on show gets a good crowd around the stadium an hour or two before kick off. It's making me hungry just thinking about it...

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Countrygull - I see you're not trying to be negative, but if we don't have this debate, it's guaranteed it won't work. I don't think Attila was talking about the fans benefitting financially from the pub, I think he means it's run by the fans for the use of and the social benefit of the fans - without any outside 'interference'. Of course the money would go to the club. I, too, am not convinced by the 'open seven days a week' argument, but if a way can be found to run the 'pub' on a more regular basis than matchdays, we should look into it.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% - we need the debate - and it's rather fun: like contemplating how to decorate your brand new home! Having given it some thought, I reckon the style which could work would be based on `Walkabouts`. Wood and metal, easy to keep clean, vertical drinking and screens everywhere. Bookies next door. Reasonable quality food but sensibly priced. But I'm afraid any contemplation of too much real ale is unrealistic: there may be times even during the season that it doesn't open for two weeks - and no decent beer can survive that. But `Walkabout` style would also strike me as quite attractive for a hireable party venue, even small gigs - and I'd happily drink there before a match.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
its all ver ywell debating about what this bar should be like, but the first step is surely getting the club to agree to include one in the first place?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The real ale issue is a tricky one - possibly get-roundable by serving bright beer version of the various brews. Not perfect, but better than f***ing Carlsberg.

The gigs issue is a valid one as well. Brighton's live music scene - or rather the number of venues - isn't up to what it ought to be. I don't know if they have live music at Sussex University, but if they don't they could have a ready-made 250-capacity venue on their doorstep.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Local food must be Uncle Sams

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Here are some of my suggestions:

A big open space (around by Falmer pond will do) where we can have a dust up with the away fans after every game.

Turrets on the corners of the ground so we can sling eggs (locally sourced mind....well nicked from the village shop) towards Falmer Village/Lewes when the game gets a bit dull.

No toilets what so ever so we are forced to sink the village in a sea of piss.

Russian dancing bears that have been trained by midgets as half time entertainment.

Numerous driveways so we can park our cars over them.

Status Quo theme pub complete with life sized Francis Rossi wax work.

Fast train back to Buxted after the game.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if I have any other ideas I'll let you know.

Thanks

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It would be nice to have an attractive concourse and perhaps follow the lead of Lords and have banners/murals of Albion greats/achievements. ..

that will be a HUGE display

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour

A big open space (around by Falmer pond will do) where we can have a dust up with the away fans after every game.

Turrets on the corners of the ground so we can sling eggs (locally sourced mind....well nicked from the village shop) towards Falmer Village/Lewes when the game gets a bit dull.

Russian dancing bears that have been trained by midgets as half time entertainment.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if I have any other ideas I'll let you know.

Thanks

Arthur, you have thought of everything.

Apart from Pizza outlets.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Thanks

is the correct answer

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Some grounds have a supporters club bar which makes a nominal charge to get in to. (Or maybe this charge is for away fans only)

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Just a thought, and I'm no expert on the matter, but wasn't it a condition of the planning permission that there could only be two music events per year? Although we're obviously talking on a different scale here. Not the best place for a music venue either, so far away from the city centre.

Anyway back to the point, the one thing that is paramount for me is that they give the stadium some character as I'd hate it to turn into one of them soul-less arenas we see so much nowadays. To be honest, I trust Dick et al to do right by the club and the fans here, he's Albion through and through and having been with the club throughout this whole struggle I think he appreciates how much it means to everyone. It's exciting just talking about it!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Theres fully professional league clubs here that allegedly rely entirely on their pub to stay in business, worryingly. Its a very good idea but the stadium site is rather further away from the city than the examples I could give here (Cobh - in its town, Shelbourne - near the city centre, St Patricks Athletic - in its suburb)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here