Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' facilities at F...sorry, our new stadium

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Every stadium seems to have a statue. Who should ours be?
Maybe we could get that guy who did the one at Southampton to do a suitably deformed one of Archer, which we could use for the aforementioned eggs!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
a bar probabaly wouldnt be viable 7 days a week as who is actually going to go there if there is no event on? the villagers certainly wouldnt, and i cant see people saying "i know lets hop on a train to falmer just so we can drink at the stadium when there is a perfectly good pub at the end of the road"

Don't pour cold water on the pub idea. Initial discussions have been had, and the indication is favourable. After everything the fans have done we deserve our own designated bar - lots of clubs have one.

I'm with Attila 110% on this. I went into the supporters club bar at Orient and it was excellent. Half a dozen real ales plus loads of other beers plus loads of bar staff, very nice environment with several tv's etc. etc.

It should also be noted that it won a CAMRA award in 2006 and considering all the competition in London was a credit to their club (away supporters let in for a quid subject to space/prior arrangement).

The only down side was the food which was cling filmed sarnies. I'm sure Falmer can do better than that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Theres fully professional league clubs here that allegedly rely entirely on their pub to stay in business, worryingly. Its a very good idea but the stadium site is rather further away from the city than the examples I could give here (Cobh - in its town, Shelbourne - near the city centre, St Patricks Athletic - in its suburb)

Oh do you live in Ireland? You should have said something!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
its all ver ywell debating about what this bar should be like, but the first step is surely getting the club to agree to include one in the first place?

Correct. But if we don't debate and come up with something approaching a fait accompli, what's the point in asking?

Fans: Can we have a bar?
Club: Sure, what do you want?
Fans: Um, don't know - haven't decided.
Club: OK, send for the cackbadgers...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would think including a pub in the ground would mean changing the design / plans, so if it is not included already, it is unlikely to be a starter.

Couldn't we just take the issue to the planning dept :laugh:.

Anyway I've aways had a corperate box issue, inc directors box.
I think the stadium should be the same all round, top to bottom, lets face it the only people who can comfortably afford to go to football, are the directors so they should pay.

I don't know what has been proposed re disabled support, but in an ideal world it should be about a 3rd off ground level with a nice sweeping ramp, in and out.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I don't know what has been proposed re disabled support, but in an ideal world it should be about a 3rd off ground level with a nice sweeping ramp, in and out.

isnt it league rules now that every new ground has to have a disabled area in each stand

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
isnt it league rules now that every new ground has to have a disabled area in each stand

I fortunately don't know, but there's no reason why we do this 1 thing, well, better than any other ground in the country.
When I have discussed this with, one of our disabled supporters, many years ago, all he wanted was to be amongst everybody else.
No great suprise with what we provided @ The Goldstone.

Oct 25, 2003
i'd be happy with the set up at the newcastle rugby ground

within the small terrace behind the try line, they have a decent sized FOYER, with a HOG ROAST aswell as other normal ground food, like burgers and that, but they are all locally farmed meats, aswell as this they have a good bar, with real ales aswell as the normal standard lagers, ciders and guiness, they also have sky sports news on VARIOUS tv's, and a decent number of benches for people to have a little sit down on

the stand is far smaller than the 'behind goal stands' at falmer, so we could do this on a larger scale EASILY

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I think the idea of a fan's pub is idealistic and unrealistic. How many fans want to go to the wilds of Falmer seven nights a week when there are plenty of great pubs in Brighton? Also why should a pub raise money for the fans? I think all the income from the stadium needs to go to the club as a whole, no ring fencing. If the fans have a particular need or want - it should be put to the club and weighed up against all other priorities. And the idea of a football stadium pub getting into the good beer guide seems a little far fetched. I suspect most alcohol drunk before matches is lager or the cheapest available beer - certainly is with the bunch of guys I go with - I'm the only one of 6 who enjoys a good real ale.
I applaud the idea of trying to get away from the ghastly stand bars - but I don't think this would work. So I'm not being negative, I'll have a think and try to come up with a better idea. :)
I agree on tickets and food - but also fear the standing section will not be allowed to happen.

Stick - wrong end. By the fans for the fans culture wise - to get away from the soulless
stereotyped stadium. Money going to the club OF COURSE. And it would be a real money spinner, I am sure of that. Most clubs have a fans' bar:
with the diversity and creativity of our fanbase we could have a thriving, individual and successful one. I've already talked to Dick and Martin about it and I can tell you that Dick is 100% behind decent facilities for all fans, not just the corporate hospitality mob.
There should be a bit in the programme tomorrow about a stadium presentation to fans
in the new year.
As regards terracing - I am fully aware of the circumstances but given what Albion fans have achieved in the past.......who knows?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here