Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' facilities at F...sorry, our new stadium

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The important part of this would be the opening hours. I am sure that if it opened in time for people to meet before the game, although I would expect there to be objections about opening for 3 hours prior to a game, and more importantly stayed open until about 7.00pm or later to meet demands, supporters would meet after the game and avoid the rush to get away and have a drink at their leasure.
Dependant on who runs it and takes the profit, there may be objections to providing food /bar snacks prior to the game. I assume that the club will provide the restaurant facilities for anybody wishing to meet for lunch prior to the game, and possibly dinner after the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The important part of this would be the opening hours. I am sure that if it opened in time for people to meet before the game, although I would expect there to be objections about opening for 3 hours prior to a game, and more importantly stayed open until about 7.00pm or later to meet demands, supporters would meet after the game and avoid the rush to get away and have a drink at their leasure.
Dependant on who runs it and takes the profit, there may be objections to providing food /bar snacks prior to the game. I assume that the club will provide the restaurant facilities for anybody wishing to meet for lunch prior to the game, and possibly dinner after the game.

There is absolutely no reason why a sitdown meal before (or after) a game has to be part of a Hospitality Package.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Most new grounds are getting this entry system so if it takes 5 years to build Falmer we might get the same.

There's no might about it. It was mentioned at the AGM.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No problem with that - if it brings in the cash. Of course it won't bring in as much as that franchised lager in the concrete concourses that you're kind of belittling.

And therein lies the issue. A fans' bar may or may not bring in as much as the corporate lager, but if there is no fans' bar there, and there is no real ale there, I - and I suspect the hundreds of Albion fans Attila is talking about - won't drink at the ground, thereby denying the club a pretty respectable revenue stream.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is absolutely no reason why a sitdown meal before (or after) a game has to be part of a Hospitality Package.

I did some work for Stadia Catering at both Ipswich and Wolves ground in the early 80s and both of them had a standard restaurant that was open to the general public during the week and for bookings only when a game was on nothing to do with corporate hospitality. I would expect Brighton to provide similar. Would Angelo in Duo Topolino be interested?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With regards to opening hours, Brian - as I understand it, the club will be applying for a licence which runs from something like - though I can't remember the exact details - 10 in the morning until 11 at night, apart from Sundays which will be a bit less.

So opening hours oughtn't be an issue.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
What about a nightclub?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And therein lies the issue. A fans' bar may or may not bring in as much as the corporate lager, but if there is no fans' bar there, and there is no real ale there, I - and I suspect the hundreds of Albion fans Attila is talking about - won't drink at the ground, thereby denying the club a pretty respectable revenue stream.

On a slightly different note I suggested to Greg Stanley, when I did some work for him in the 80s/early90s, that the club should buy a pub in each of the major towns of Sussex as I was sure that such a pub if run properly would have been very popular. They could have brought in proffesional Brewery people to run it as a small company within the main club structure. At the time there was a lull in pub sales so they were going cheap following the boom days of the mid to late 80s.

The idea was put to Bryan Bedson who said no it wouldnt be viable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With regards to opening hours, Brian - as I understand it, the club will be applying for a licence which runs from something like - though I can't remember the exact details - 10 in the morning until 11 at night, apart from Sundays which will be a bit less.

So opening hours oughtn't be an issue.

I would agree the important things is to keep people at the stadium drinking and eating in comfort rather than them filtering off to the pubs in Brighton.

A nightclub has been suggested but I think that will briing problems although Wimbledon ran one succesfully for a number of years at Plough Lane.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On a slightly different note I suggested to Greg Stanley, when I did some work for him in the 80s/early90s, that the club should buy a pub in each of the major towns of Sussex as I was sure that such a pub if run properly would have been very popular. They could have brought in proffesional Brewery people to run it as a small company within the main club structure. At the time there was a lull in pub sales so they were going cheap following the boom days of the mid to late 80s.

The idea was put to Bryan Bedson who said no it wouldnt be viable.

Blimey, that would have given Stanley the excuse to have a few more drinks every night.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would agree the important things is to keep people at the stadium drinking and eating in comfort rather than them filtering off to the pubs in Brighton.

A nightclub has been suggested but I think that will briing problems although Wimbledon ran one succesfully for a number of years at Plough Lane.

I can only go on my experience at the Madjeski with Irish, but the bars open when the turnstiles and stay open about an hour or two after final whistle......footy fans seem to be hustled out and the bars firmly shut at final whistle whereas rugger fans stay behind and drink and discuss the game with opposition fans etc. St Paddy's day the bars were open at 10 ish and closed at 11 ish in the evening I think

the hotel is open normal hotel hours and I think the last serving time for a meal is 9ish in the evening.

When doing the radio from Scunthorpe last year, their players lounge bar stayed open after the game but started to wind down after about an hour and a half as most people wanted to go home.

I cant see the attraction of hanging round an empty football stadium after a game ......if I wanted to have a drink, I would head into town for a drink at a pub designed for such. Football grounds are soul less places at the best of times!!!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

Nail on head, Alan. It's the difference between hundreds of us giving our matchday drinking money to the Albion or someone else. And Albion fans deserve our own bar!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here