Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
.........and seven months later we were relegated.

it would have been four months later without Coppell.Taking us to the last game at Grimsby was nothing short of a miracle.And without Zamora for much of season i remember, if only Coppell had been given the job in summer instead of Dick Tight taking the cheap option.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not sure what to make of this. The man is a Palace scumbag who walked out on us who I hate more than anyone in football - that bit I'm sure about. However, I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. On one hand I couldn't bear to see that twat have any success, even if it was with us. On the other, I'd f***ing LOVE the chance to properly HATE an albion manager again. I've been behind the last three even when most others had turned, so the chance to get back to the glory days of full on spite and venom would be great. I'd even boo him to the dugout on his first game. Yeah, I'm selling this to myself now. COPPELL IN!
Yes he had ambition and with a potless chairman like knight at the time did he really do the wrong thing?coppell is a superb manager and would love him back:clap:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
No wonder a lot of people in the know don't bother posting out in the open on here any more, when you get twats like you picking holes in everything.

Or alternatively, those 'in the know' don't want to betray the trust that their 'moles' place in them, and keep their f***ing mouths shut.

Just a thought like.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I'm not saying he shouldn't choose Reading over Brighton and Hove Albion. Far from it, in fact. But what I am saying is that, if anyone cares to remember this, he kept us waiting for f***ing AGES in the summer of 2003 before committing to a new contract - clearly touting himself around in the process. Then, when noone wanted a recently relegated manager, he reluctantly signed for a year with us. Having done that, within two months of the season starting he'd f***ed off to Reading.

If he'd held his hands up at the end of the season we went down and said he wasn't interested in a league one job then I'd have nothing but respect for him, but he USED us to stay in employment and then left asap. Scumbag.

I don't get your point as he very rarely signs contracts over one year anyway. Secondly, its well documentated that Knight 'encouraged' him to go for the compensation money.

To be honest, I find the earlier Palace reasoning quite pathetic.:annoyed:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Where has your sense of humor gone as that was rather funny:p

Doh! :blush:

I've just had a couple of small sherries & I've evidently got me sense o'humour knickers in a twist. So please forgive me: I know not wot I said (izzit). I'm off to knock meself unconcho on the nearest internal wall now - & I'm hoping for all concerned that I don't miss.. :(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have nothing against Steve Coppell and what he has achieved but would sooner if an appointment is to be made it be a completely new management team. To bring new ideas,new tactics and possibly the better players that we need to gain promotion from this diivision.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Usually I agree with the "Never Go Back" mantra but in this instance I don't think it applies. I think it only applies to extremely successful managers (Mullery, Adams, Howard Kendall for Everton) trying to re-create the glory years. Coppell's job at the Albion was only half-finished, so its not the same for me at all.

The other significant difference with Adams was that he has a very ahem "chequered" history managerially, and other than his success with us, Fulham and Swansea has been an absolute f***ing disaster at most clubs, whereas Coppell's managerial record is as good any Englishman currently in managerial employment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here