Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Bollocks, you said we could EASILY do better, I can't give you a single manager who is likely to take the job who could, so don't ask me to help you out..

Admit it you spouted off without thinking it through..again

Exactly. The only managers I can think of that would do better are out of our reach like Curbishley.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Give me a list of out of work managers and I'll tell you who's better. I don't have a list ingrained in my brain, but I do know that even in our current position we'll be able to attract someone who can do a competent job. And as I said on here yesterday, I'd rather go for someone young with fresh ideas than an old has-been like Coppell.

No we couldn't possibly consider anybody as old as Arsene Wenger or Sir Alex Ferguson.

Tom you do talk some absolute bollocks when you are blinded by prejudice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps TB could follow Mike Bambers example and get a retired respected ex international in as his first job and hopefully be as successful. Step forward Edward Sherringham.

f***ing hell, no offence but I'm glad you never achieved your ambition to be an force within the Albion hierarachy.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
We can easily do better, but that doesn't mean I have an up-to-date list of available managers sitting in front of me. I don't think it's my job to find someone. As I said, give me a list and I'll tell you who's better. Or, if I'm really bored later, I'll do it myself.

If we could 'easily' do better, you wouldn't have to look up the managers available. It's Coppell or Curbishley - there's nobody else.

At the end of the day, Coppell's signings for us were:

Sidwell, Rodger, Ingimarrson, Beasant, Roberts, Blackwell, Knight

All but Knight have played a fair bit of Premiership football, and those signings us to an almost impossible survival, and to the top of Div 2 the next season.

He also turned Paul Brooker and Kerry Mayo into football superstars for that season in Div 1, unheard of at the time.

Plus, if Knight had been able to afford 175k, we'd have had Steven Hunt, another now proven premiership player.

Ultimately, he's a class act, and if there's a man I'd want in charge for the January transfer window, it's him.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Good riddance to slade!!! He nearly got us relegated last season and he seems intent on sending us down this season!! It might upset the ones that enjoy to see us fail but coppell the only way is up!!!

How the f*** can you say he nearly got us relegated last season what a crok of shit

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Take your pick:

Tony Adams
John Barnes
Dave Bassett
Paul Bracewell
Ian Branfoot
Ian Brightwell
Alan Buckley
Steve Coppell
Steve Cotterill
Alan Curbishley
Simon Davey
Dean Glover
Stuart Gray
John Gregory
Ruud Guillit
Bryan Gunn
Mick Harford
John Hollins
Peter Jackson
Paul Jewell
Kevin Keegan
Gary McAllister
Gary McParland
Mike Newell
David O Leary
Tony Parkes
Gary Peters
Jimmy Quinn
Kevin Ratcliffe
Leroy Resenior
Lee Richardson
Andy Ritchie
Graham Rodger
Glenn Roeder
Lawrie Sanchez
Denis Smith
Graham Souness
Gareth Southgate
Gordon Strachan
Kit Symons
Peter Taylor
Stan Ternat
Gudjon Thordarson
Steve Thompson
Colin Todd
Gianluca Vialli
Dennis Wise
Mark Wotte
Mark Wright

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
f***ing hell, no offence but I'm glad you never achieved your ambition to be an force within the Albion hierarachy.

That was just a suggestion for discussion not what I want. It did prove successful for Mike Bamber though. For what it is worth my choice would be Wise & Poyet or Graham and Adams or just to upset many but based on football coaching ability Rix.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We can easily do better, but that doesn't mean I have an up-to-date list of available managers sitting in front of me. I don't think it's my job to find someone. As I said, give me a list and I'll tell you who's better. Or, if I'm really bored later, I'll do it myself.

There is a full list of out of work managers on the 'List of good managers currently without a job' thread. Fill your boots on who is better than Coppell. I have even bounced it for you.

Doh! Beaten to it.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It's not prejudice, it's an honest opinion. Coppell is a GOOD manager but not a FANTASTIC manager. If he came here we would do well - or better than we are at the moment certainly. But then if we keep Russell we may also do that. For me, Coppell is one of those managers who is getting to the stage where he is past his best. What's his motivation now? He's not going to go higher again than he has already been so is the HUNGER still there? His history is chequered at best and albion fans remember him far more fondly than they should just because he took over from the calamity that is Hinshelwood.

The FACTS about Coppell at the albion are these:
-As I've already said, we were out of the bottom three in February of the season he was here and we BLEW IT.
- When he took over we were FIVE points behind the first safety spot. Guess where we finished? Yes, FIVE points from safety.

And all that with the benefit of some of the best players we've had in all my time supporting this club - Bobby, Sidwell, Ingimarsson, Brooker (on fire that season), Hart (on fire that season), Carpenter.

Hahaha - you're a GREAT wind up merchant! Tell me the one about Kuipers again! Or Gary Barlow! Love it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was just a suggestion for discussion not what I want. It did prove successful for Mike Bamber though. For what it is worth my choice would be Wise & Poyet or Graham and Adams or just to upset many but based on football coaching ability Rix.

Fair enough, but Mullery was a team captain and a proven leader. Sheringham always strikes me as being a bit thick.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
No, it's not just Curbishley or Coppell. There will be dozens of possibilities, just like there are every time any football job comes up. It's just that I don't work in football so don't have inside knowledge on who is available.

As for the signings, yes there are some good players there undoubtedly but think of what BUDGET he must have had to get those. And he still didn't keep us up - despite my FACTS in my last post. When you look at what Mark McGhee signed - or more to the point, the PITTANCE he spent - and the fact he kept us in that division then, for me, that shows that Coppell wasn't quite the miracle-worker some like to think he was.

He had a wage budget - but 100k on those players is f***ing good business from where i'm sitting. Mcghee also wasn't hindered by a bloody horrific start to the season which included a 10 game losing streak and starting regulars Danny Marney and Shaun Wilkinson.

You're an absolute mug if you don't rate Coppell because he didn't keep us up. Hart and Mayo have never been Championship standard players, but Coppell got them playing out of their SKIN. We still went down, largely because Coppell didn't have money to buy a whole new 11. But we were NEVER expecting to stay up, even in February of that season.

You're just blinkered by another petty vendetta, which is exactly the opposite of your tedious love for Kuipers. I notice you've kept out of the threads mentioning his absolutely wank performance on Saturday, by the way.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Posting a message claiming that Slade might be replaced at some point in the near future is hardly groundbreaking conspiracy theorem time is it? I mean, Mr. Burns is a master at posting garbage truimphantly posturing on the broad-side of the: obvious statement school of sixth form rumour milling. So, tis utter shite says I.

As for managerial choices; alas I fear Coppell is way out of our league at this particular moment in time. I wish it were different, but it clearly isn’t! what do I base this heresy on? nothing other than the blatant fact that during our last, and all too recent vacancy, we were hardly overwhelmed with a stunning array of applicants - fact. (ahem) Yes, we are in a slightly, (sorry to state the all too f’ing obvious) better position this time around i.e. we have more games to escape the drop, but to suggest Coppell will return is a fantastic a fools folly as ever I have borne witness to.

I wish 'Burns well in his quest for internet stardom, (here on http://www.massiveoverreaction.biz) but when you build towers to the sky and jump… well… you fly or you fall… and then there’s nothing but blood on the sand… and the people turn and say:

“f***ing dick head.”

Kosh

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Nice to see you swerve the FACTS I've pointed out and waffle about something unrelated instead.

And regarding the post above, of that unbelievably poor list I'd still take Curbishley, Jewell or Cotterill ahead of Coppell, plus I'd rank one or two others the same as him. Oh, and as I've already said I'd go for an unproven boss with everything to prove - so the list is kind of redundant anyway. I look at people like Simon Grayson and Paul Lambert - recent pros who know what modern football is all about and obviously have a brain in their head - and think that's the kind of up and coming manager we should be sniffing out.

So you think unproven managers are an improvement on Coppell, who has proved himself already.

I give up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here