Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
At the end of the day, Coppell's signings for us were:

Sidwell, Rodger, Ingimarrson, Beasant, Roberts, Blackwell, Knight

All but Knight have played a fair bit of Premiership football, and those signings us to an almost impossible survival, and to the top of Div 2 the next season.

He also turned Paul Brooker and Kerry Mayo into football superstars for that season in Div 1, unheard of at the time.

Plus, if Knight had been able to afford 175k, we'd have had Steven Hunt, another now proven premiership player.

Ultimately, he's a class act, and if there's a man I'd want in charge for the January transfer window, it's him.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I was a season ticket holder when Coppell took over from Hinshlewood. To talk of the first few games is a nonsense. I was also at the 5 0 Palace game and that was the low point from which he built a bloody good team who beat some big teams. The key was better tactics and good signings but most of all was the fact he got the players already at the club playing well beyond their capabilities. That was Kerry Mayo's best ever season for us by a mile and always remeber his winning goal against Derby. To me that's what defines a good manager. russell is simply not getting the best out of the players at present for whatever reason!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Noone put a gun to his head did they. Yes, I'm sure Knight wanted the £250k. Jesus, if I was offered £250 for Coppout I'd take it, so I can imagine his eyes must have lit up when Reading offered that. But at the end of the day noone from the albion signed Coppell's contract at Reading. He did.

As this thread as proven (although it's hardly a relevation), you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you are talking about.

There is opinion and there is complete bollocks from The Complete Badger.

Your post doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, but whiffs strongly of someone trying desperately hard to prove a point that absolutely no substance whatsoever.

I'm sorry mate, but you are wrong.

Further more, pretty much every person I have spoken to at the club rate Coppell up there with the best Brighton managers.

Even in his very short time here.

Last edited:

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Noone put a gun to his head did they. Yes, I'm sure Knight wanted the £250k. Jesus, if I was offered £250 for Coppout I'd take it, so I can imagine his eyes must have lit up when Reading offered that. But at the end of the day noone from the albion signed Coppell's contract at Reading. He did.

So by the same reasoning, you wouldn't have Zamora back because he walked out on us when he signed his contract with Tottenham without a gun to his head....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Slade's managerial record this season is getting very close to what Hinshelwood achieved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have dealt in FACTS on this thread. We WERE out the bottom three in February. We DID finish exactly the same number of points from safety as when Coppell took over. And we DID NOT make him sign for Reading. We accepted the compensation on offer and made it clear we needed it, but that does NOT equate to driving him down the M4. The only opinion I offer is a realistic one in my book - and that is we SHOULD have stayed up with the players he had at his disposal. That we didn't is one of the greatest failings of my albion lifetime.

And slagging off someone else's opinion is a bit childish, just so you know.

Let's completely ignore how many points clear we were when he left, as that makes your arguement look less stupid.

I'm not sure if you are employed but if your boss makes it plain he'd like you to leave for a better job at a better company with much bigger wages, you'd say "no I won't go"?? Really?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have dealt in FACTS on this thread. We WERE out the bottom three in February. We DID finish exactly the same number of points from safety as when Coppell took over. And we DID NOT make him sign for Reading. We accepted the compensation on offer and made it clear we needed it, but that does NOT equate to driving him down the M4. The only opinion I offer is a realistic one in my book - and that is we SHOULD have stayed up with the players he had at his disposal. That we didn't is one of the greatest failings of my albion lifetime.

And slagging off someone else's opinion is a bit childish, just so you know.

So is sulking in the corner trying to pass off something incorrect as opinion.

There are some who say the world is flat, they are wrong by the way.

What you've forgotten was the scenario under which Reading went to Coppell. They were hardly going to go after someone who was difficult to get were they ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Twisting my words again.

Did Zamora FAIL us by getting us relegated? No.

Did Zamora keep us waiting months on end over a decision on his new contract, thus preventing the whole club from planning for the next season over the crucial summer period? No.

That relegated squad did not need a lot of planning / rebuilding. Zamora was always going to go, losing Brooker was annoying and Blackwells injury was a pain. However the nucleus of a decent side was in place with Kuipers, Watson, Mayo, Cullip, Hinsh (then Butters), Hart, Rodger, Carpenter and Jones. It had no strikers, but before the season Coppell brought in Knight and Henderson and somehow made McPhee resemble a footballer. Also Roberts was signed and proved to be probably the best number one since Beeney.

What Coppell did was got results with that side, without us ever looking convincing. When he went we were clear at the top, with a game in hand. By the end of the season we finished 4th, whilst 2 fairly ordinary sides in Plymouth and QPR went up automatically.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In a lower division to when he joined! Jesus. It's like a premiership manager taking a team down then being hailed a hero because his team are top of the championship. Maybe if Newcastle had had the same manager for the last year I'd have a good comparison, because I imagine they wouldn't spunk all over someone who took them down.

QUOTE]

He was building to take us back up and doing an excellent job. Christ I wish we could be in the same situation now, which I have no doubt he could achieve, but let's stick with what we've got or ignore Coppell and go for someone with no track record at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here