Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Not sure what to make of this. The man is a Palace scumbag who walked out on us who I hate more than anyone in football - that bit I'm sure about. However, I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. On one hand I couldn't bear to see that twat have any success, even if it was with us. On the other, I'd f***ing LOVE the chance to properly HATE an albion manager again. I've been behind the last three even when most others had turned, so the chance to get back to the glory days of full on spite and venom would be great. I'd even boo him to the dugout on his first game. Yeah, I'm selling this to myself now. COPPELL IN!

Utter moron.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
The other significant difference with Adams was that he has a very ahem "chequered" history managerially, and other than his success with us, Fulham and Swansea has been an absolute f***ing disaster at most clubs,

To be successful at three different clubs isn't at all bad. Looks as though the fourth is in the process of being chalked up too.

I think that your assessment of Coppell is spot on, however.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Four reasons

1.In the HIGHLY unlikely event of Coppell coming back as soon as someone said to him "How about working with my club as you've done a decent job at Brighton" he'd be off !!
He's got f*** all loyalty
2 Never go back - see under "Adams, M"
3, He's ex P*l*ce
4 We can do better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Four reasons

1.In the HIGHLY unlikely event of Coppell coming back as soon as someone said to him "How about working with my club as you've done a decent job at Brighton" he'd be off !!
He's got f*** all loyalty
2 Never go back - see under "Adams, M"
3, He's ex P*l*ce
4 We can do better

1) Really? Rumour has it Knight wanted the compensation and Coppell didn't really want to leave. the only time he's walked without having improved a club was Man City.
2) Coppell is different class to Adams, I'd happily "go back"
3) So was our most succesfull ever manager in term of results. Would you rather continue to be shit than have an ex Palace man in charge. Is cutting your nose off to spite your face a regular activity?
4) Again, really? Who?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mr Burns posts reliable snippets of information , which all get slated until proved correct.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
14. Yeah, easily.

Who?

I can't think of one (feasible) manager who'd be likely to do a better job

Looking forward to the list...I assume it WILL be a list if we can EASILY find better managers

Waiting...

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
As he's based in the South East I'm pretty sure he'll want to stay put in the area.
Much rather we have him rather than say someone like Pompey who may need a manager shortly.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Coppell is that good, so any number of managers could do as well or better in my opinion. He took us down after we were out of the relegation zone in February - FACT. He did ok at Reading but everywhere else he's been up and down. He's not the managerial god some on here seem to think.

Yeah yeah but WHO?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I don't think Coppell is that good, so any number of managers could do as well or better in my opinion. He took us down after we were out of the relegation zone in February - FACT. He did ok at Reading but everywhere else he's been up and down. He's not the managerial god some on here seem to think.

Answer the ruddy question man.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Can't be bothered to respond to all the dum dums individually, but I'd like to point out that there might be one TINY TINY reason why Coppell is unlikely to leave us this time for a "better job". It begins with "F" and ends in "r", and has "alme" in the middle.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Yeah, "ok" at Reading. From the relegation zone in The Championship to top half of The Premiership. "ok" I guess.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Give me a list of out of work managers and I'll tell you who's better. I don't have a list engrained in my brain, but I do know that even in our current position we'll be able to attract someone who can do a competent job. And as I said on here yesterday, I'd rather go for someone young with fresh ideas than an old has-been like Coppell.

Bollocks, you said we could EASILY do better, I can't give you a single manager who is likely to take the job who could, so don't ask me to help you out..

Admit it you spouted off without thinking it through..again ( the again is in reference to your sour grapes Button remarks throughout the season btw)

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

And, whether you like it or not, to get Palace to finish FOURTH in the old First Division was frankly an INCREDIBLE achievement.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Usually I agree with the "Never Go Back" mantra but in this instance I don't think it applies. I think it only applies to extremely successful managers (Mullery, Adams, Howard Kendall for Everton) trying to re-create the glory years. Coppell's job at the Albion was only half-finished, so its not the same for me at all.

The other significant difference with Adams was that he has a very ahem "chequered" history managerially, and other than his success with us, Fulham and Swansea has been an absolute f***ing disaster at most clubs, whereas Coppell's managerial record is as good any Englishman currently in managerial employment.

Wasnt Adams at Swansea for 13 days?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps TB could follow Mike Bambers example and get a retired respected ex international in as his first job and hopefully be as successful. Step forward Edward Sherringham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here