Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I give up on trying to convince you but the football we played under Coppell was better than anything we have played since. I hope you will not carry this silly vendetta on if he does end up coming back here, as I'm not sure I can cope with this bollocks on the football front and the Grand Prix front :bigwave:

That is very true. He had a knack of also getting very average players to perform.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I dont bother posting on here anymore as i was often doubted in my posts, but i will just like to put the record straight on SC and his reasons for leaving us.
The fact is that DK made no attempt to keep him when Reading came knocking on the door for him, all DK wanted was the money for compensation for him leaving, I know this as I was round a certain players house when SC phoned him and told him he didnt want to go.
So now we have a new Chairman it seems hopefullt we will get back to a decent manager again.

I wouldn't let the facts get in the way of a Badger.

He'll start arguing in a minute that he actually meant that and everyone was wrong because they didn't understand.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think it is worth focusing on Stoke. They were underperforming badly. They had a decent finish the next season without a massive amount of new additions. In fact, they lost some of their better players.

It was a lack of investment that killed us and the fact that BZ was playing through the pain barrier. I would suggest that we would not have been on 4 points after 13 games, had Bobby been fit.

Coppell was great and I would be glad to see him back again.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree. He did well between the day he joined and late February to get us out of the bottom four. Noone can deny that. As you say, those games (particularly Wolves) were f***ing brilliant and we were on fire.

But what I'm trying to argue against (with the facts on my side) is that everyone who is in love with Coppell IS ignoring the league table. It shows that in February we were safe with 13 games to play and 4 points ahead of Stoke. But we ended up relegated and with Stoke 5 points ahead. THAT is a failure, however well Coppell had done until February. So why did we bottle the big games? You hit the nail on the head with the three matches that screwed us up - Stoke (a), Preston (h), Sheffield Wed (h). Preston in particular was the killer blow because they had nothing to play for, weren't very good, and we knew we had Leicester away the next week. That was a diabolical choke.

But we had shown near enough play off form in 2004 with a limited squad that at some stage we were going to have an iffy run, annoyingly it happened around April time.

If he came back I do think he would do a decent job with the existing squad and also even if we do have some cash, traditionally he is not one for big signings, he tends to take a risk on players and improve them (Kitson, Hunt and Doyle).

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I'm not 'in the know' and have no real connections at the club. I have however spoken to several of the players and staff who worked with Coppell, and they, without exception, say he is the best manager they have ever worked with.

Also, the facts show that from when Coppell joined, until the end of the season, we did not show relegation form. In fact, we were probably nearer a top half side.

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
If this is going to happen it needs to happen NOW before we play Southampton, Leeds,Charlton and Norwich not after we have not got any points out of four games

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not 'in the know' and have no real connections at the club. I have however spoken to several of the players and staff who worked with Coppell, and they, without exception, say he is the best manager they have ever worked with.

Also, the facts show that from when Coppell joined, until the end of the season, we did not show relegation form. In fact, we were probably nearer a top half side.

No you are wrong. Against all evidence to suggest the contrary, the Badger is correct.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
- When he took over we were FIVE points behind the first safety spot. Guess where we finished? Yes, FIVE points from safety.

Are you for real? We were for five points from safety when he took over yes, but that was after only 10 games. Now, to already be five points from safety that early in the season, the team must be in absolute dire straits and morale would be absolute rock bottom. The club was an utter shambles. Our record when he took over was W1 D1 L8. Its a win ratio of 10%. That is the form of a team that you would expect to be mathematically relegated by Easter, if that.

Coppell's record was W10 D11 L15 - thats the form of a lower mid-table team and a win ratio of 27%. Given that you expect any manager taking over a side so clearly low in confidence at least 4 or 5 games to start stamping their mark on a side (just like Slade had to in clearing up the mess left for him by Adams) it was actually a remarkable feat that he got us playing so well in my opinion.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
i'd be delighted if this is true. not that i hate slade but coppell is a genius. sadly cant see it happening but i hope i get proved wrong

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Oh no, that's not the reason I don't like him at all. I don't mind ex-Palace players/managers at all. I loved Peter Taylor and he played for them. It's slightly different with Coppell I admit, because he's not just ex-Palace he's basically a Palace ICON, but the reason I hate him is 99% that he took us down (when we SHOULD have stayed up - FACT) and then walked out after pissing us about on a new contract.

He didn't take us down you cretin. If we had got relegated last season because Stockport beat us 2-1 on the last day of the season, who would have been to blame: Adams or Slade? For me, Adams 90%, Slade 10%.

When judging a managerial reign, the primary criteria for me is "how good was the side he inherited and were we better or worse than when he left us?" That is why whatever happens now under Slade, I will never hate him like I do Micky Adams, who took an exciting promising young side that nearly made the play offs and turned them into a ridiculous shambles. I still believe that Slade is clearing up the mess left by Adams.

Coppell inherited a side which (if Hinsh had remained for the whole season) would have broken every known record for lowest points total in any professional division ever. I predict we would have got about 17 or 18 - what do you think? We would have got about 30 points less than we did under Coppell.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Perhaps TB could follow Mike Bambers example and get a retired respected ex international in as his first job and hopefully be as successful. Step forward Edward Sherringham.

:laugh: That has cheered me up no end. Can you imagine Sheringham as our manager? He'd be too busy taking the players to Oceanias and trying to steal their WAGs.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Argus.

"It is business as usual at the club. Slade had a meeting yesterday with chairman Tony Bloom, which was arranged before the fifth home defeat out of seven against Hartlepool."

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
"It is business as usual at the club. Slade had a meeting yesterday with chairman Tony Bloom, which was arranged before the fifth home defeat out of seven against Hartlepool."

But if TB had of had tentative contact with SC over the weekend he's hardly likely to say anything yesterday morning to RS, more likely he would "keep schtum" and keep the scheduled meeting as arranged while things simmered on the back-burner?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Four reasons

1.In the HIGHLY unlikely event of Coppell coming back as soon as someone said to him "How about working with my club as you've done a decent job at Brighton" he'd be off !!
He's got f*** all loyalty
2 Never go back - see under "Adams, M"
3, He's ex P*l*ce
4 We can do better

No.2 Seems to be working OK for MK Dons this season, and i'm sure there are other examples around.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why do people bother arguing with CB, he's a complete idiot that seems to think he's some sort of columnist for the Daily Star, judging by his opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here