Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
As much as I like Steve Coppell, most of what you have said is opinion rather than fact.

Palace & Reading both promoted.
Signs quality players who commanded large fees - Sidwell, Shorey, Kitson, Hunt, Doyle - shall I go on...?
Plays attacking football - Reading won the championship by a whopping 16 pts and scored 99 goals including several games when they scored 5 goals.
The vast majority of those who have played for him say he is a great man manager.
He got average players like Kerry Mayo, Brooker etc playing the best football of their careers and tactically he's very astute. You know that from his time at the Albion. You are right to say it is my opinion he is one of the most intelligent managers but that view seems to be backed up by just about everyone in the game. Everthing else is incontrovertible.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh hear we go! Anyone who does not agree with you is childish? Tosser!

Yes and your response is equally mature. The post you are complaining about was agreeing with what I posted yet somehow you have to have a little tantrum, whose being childish now then ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
why did Coppell leave Reading? (I dont know the answer, just I dont think he was sacked)

He left because he felt he could do no more for them. However, neither Adams or Mullery (for those who can remember it) did anything during their second stint. Why Coppell will be expected to do any better is not guaranteed.

Who is supposed to be a 'Good Manager' ?Given his efforts at Yeovil Slade was/is a good manager. It's the quick fix, sack the manager mentality that puzzles me, so often it makes no difference.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
why did Coppell leave Reading? (I dont know the answer, just I dont think he was sacked)

Wasn't it that he wanted a break from football, full stop?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He left because he felt he could do no more for them. However, neither Adams or Mullery (for those who can remember it) did anything during their second stint. Why Coppell will be expected to do any better is not guaranteed.

Who is supposed to be a 'Good Manager' ?Given his efforts at Yeovil Slade was/is a good manager. It's the quick fix, sack the manager mentality that puzzles me, so often it makes no difference.

Nothing is ever "guaranteed" is it?

It's about looking, IF Slade is sacked, for the best possible manager available. On that basis, we will not do better than Coppell and should he come back we'd be lucky to have him. But all conjecture at the moment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes and your response is equally mature. The post you are complaining about was agreeing with what I posted yet somehow you have to have a little tantrum, whose being childish now then ?
Don't sweat it, name calling is the sanctuary of the intellectually inept. Pity would be a better response.???

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Why would Stepanopolis Coppout come and try and repeat what he did at Reading? What would be the point of that from his point of view? We are a club with, arguably, little more potential than them, he might get us into the Premiershit and keep us there for a season or two before we got relegated and he left. Pretty pointless for him and a total Groundhog couple of seasons.

Yoda

English & European
Don't worry about the F1 my friend. Come March we'll have Lewis back on top of the pile and Joker Jenson trudging round at the back where he belongs. This season's shenanigans and debate on here will NEVER be repeated!

I agree. He did well between the day he joined and late February to get us out of the bottom four. Noone can deny that. As you say, those games (particularly Wolves) were f***ing brilliant and we were on fire.

But what I'm trying to argue against (with the facts on my side) is that everyone who is in love with Coppell IS ignoring the league table. It shows that in February we were safe with 13 games to play and 4 points ahead of Stoke. But we ended up relegated and with Stoke 5 points ahead. THAT is a failure, however well Coppell had done until February. So why did we bottle the big games? You hit the nail on the head with the three matches that screwed us up - Stoke (a), Preston (h), Sheffield Wed (h). Preston in particular was the killer blow because they had nothing to play for, weren't very good, and we knew we had Leicester away the next week. That was a diabolical choke.

FFS!!! It was only 5 points because Stoke WON there last game and that news filtered through to us at Grimsby and on to the players on the pitch due to US in the stands being subdued. Thats FOUR of your FIVE points right there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Now its happened, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have come in now.

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
return of another manager who was great in thier first stint here. Can only hope if he does come the same thing doesnt happen to him that happened to Adams..

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Have heard from someone at the club we DID approach Coppell last week. Can only presume that we got the reaction we wanted and we're willing to clear the deck ready for his arrival ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this Groundhog day, Coppell to take over from Hinshelwood?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
return of another manager who was great in thier first stint here. Can only hope if he does come the same thing doesnt happen to him that happened to Adams..

The difference is, Coppell is a far superior manager to Adams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here