Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell - He's a coming, he's a coming!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What gets me is that people seem to think changing the manager is the answer. With the benefit of hindsight we shouldn't have got ride of Wilkins. However MA was supposed to be the saviour, he wasn't. next Slade save us from relegation but is struggling now. Why would Steve Coppell make a difference ? A lot of expectation will quite probably be followed by sustained 'Coppell Out' poles.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What gets me is that people seem to think changing the manager is the answer. With the benefit of hindsight we shouldn't have got ride of Wilkins. However MA was supposed to be the saviour, he wasn't. next Slade save us from relegation but is struggling now. Why would Steve Coppell make a difference ? A lot of expectation will quite probably be followed by sustained 'Coppell Out' poles.

:clap:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Slades record shows at other clubs that he does get it right. It takes him time, but then again time is what is needed. He is not stupid, he probably knows what needs to be done. He keeps pointing the blame for leaking goals at the centre halfs, so he knows its this area that needs improving.

Its a question of what can he do at this momemnt to sort it out. Well until January he cant go out and buy somebody and perhaps the right player on loan is simply not available at this moment.

In hindsight, he should have made buying a solid stopper in the summer a priority, but then again no one really suspected that Elphick/Virgo would perform so badly (after finishing last season strongly together).

If Coppell is to come then great (as he is a top manager), but I dont believe in sacking Slade for the sake of it. Apart from Coppell and Curbs (who wont come), there isn't anyone else that could do a better job.

I think we should hold our nerve. Bloom will.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Polls :wink:

But yes, you are right. I think as Falmer gets ever nearer we all want a quick fix, like a junkie, but when that wears off we are back to square one.

I'd like to go into hibernation until July 2011 :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Reading's last 9 results at HOME under Coppell

DLLDLLDLL

He is just right for Withdean!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At last a reasonable grown up response to our situation.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

With the benefit of hindsight, you are right, Knight should never have sacked Wilkins. In fact, knowing of Adam's failures since he left us last time, he should never have been appointed anyway.

Also, with the benefit of hindsight, do you not think, that the "rose tinted glassed brigade" who were so vocal in their support for Adams and pleading for him to be given more time, were completely wrong, and Adams should have been sacked a lot earlier. That way, we would have probably been able to atract a better class of manager, without them being on a hiding to nothing, and Russell Slade would not have needed to perform a minor mirical in keeping us up?

IF Adams had been replaced with a good manager early enough, they would have had an easy task in keeping us up, and building for a real challenge this year. The list of candidates would probably have been a lot different, as the job would have been much more desirable than being asked to perform a mirical in keeping us up, of face managing in the bottom division.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I take it he hasn't turned up yet then? Maybe the traffic's bad. Or something. :whistle:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
" Why would Steve Coppell make a difference" ?

- a proven track record of getting " small" clubs promoted.
- a good record of signing quality players who've thern gone onto command
very big fees when sold
- plays attacking football
- Superb man manager, gets the best out of the players and improves them technically.
- Tactical and organisational nouse.
- One of THE most intelligent figures in the game.

If we got Coppell, he would take us into Falmer and provide stability, potentially for years to come. If Slade goes, he is the best man for the job by a mile.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
if hindsight is what we're adopting its not the sacking of Wilkins that shouldn't have happened, it was the sacking of McGhee which was invariably wrong.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
" Why would Steve Coppell make a difference" ?

- a proven track record of getting " small" clubs promoted.
- a good record of signing quality players who've thern gone onto command
very big fees when sold
- plays attacking football
- Superb man manager, gets the best out of the players and improves them technically.
- Tactical and organisational nouse.
- One of THE most intelligent figures in the game.

If we got Coppell, he would take us into Falmer and provide stability, potentially for years to come. If Slade goes, he is the best man for the job by a mile.

As much as I like Steve Coppell, most of what you have said is opinion rather than fact.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

exactly ..............and if he comes back will he be another Adams,Mullery who on the second time of asking were absolute rubbish

if he does HAVE to go then someone totally different please

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Perhaps when Mr Burns started this thread, he was watching Steve Coppell through a pair of binoculars in the Ladyboy Bar in Bangkok, and some people misinterpreted the content.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here