Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Post Match Comments - Did he really mean that?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Really. Which half is league one players? And if our wages are not anywhere neat the top. Where are they. You seem to know a lot about our budget. Do tell where you get your information?

Greer
El Abd
Dicker
Barnes
Bridcutt

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Really Sorry I seemed to have missed that. Where have you details OUR budget?

I have shown the parachute payments of teams in this division. A playing budget is defined as money that is available to spend on operational costs, all of the clubs I have detailed have more money than we have to spend on those costs.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Greer
El Abd
Dicker
Barnes
Bridcutt
I don't think you can call Bridcutt a league one player, in status or contract.

Barnes, even though you've argued about my views on Barnes being league one standard, its nice to see you finally admit it. Others in the squad who are championship quailty should be playing in front of him as you seem to agree now

Dicker is no longer a starter

El Abd and Greer, I would agree along with Barnes are league one players out of their depth in the championship.

But nice to see you have FINALLY seen the light on Barnes. I knew you would given time

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
So, taking us from 18th in League 1 to 8th in the Championship is not getting better?

You are correct these people moaning about Gus.....are they the same ones who cheered him to the rafters when he got us promoted...we will lose games.....get used to it....there are no teams in the Championship who have won every game.The trouble is in these days everybody wants instant gratification.Yes we want to win,but it's not the end of the world if we don't....take measurements at the end of the season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really. Which half is league one players? And if our wages are not anywhere neat the top. Where are they. You seem to know a lot about our budget. Do tell where you get your information?

Barnes
Calderon
Ankergren
Brezovan
Lua Lua
Harley
Painter
Agdestein
Sparrow
Vincelot
Greer
El Abd
Harley
Mackail Smith
Bridcutt

All players who have played most of their careers at League One level, or lower. Off the top of my head.

Considering this, what makes you think we are even near to competing wages wise with sides full of players who have played Prem and Champ football? And also, considering the above, we are hardly underachieving, are we?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I have shown the parachute payments of teams in this division. A playing budget is defined as money that is available to spend on operational costs, all of the clubs I have detailed have more money than we have to spend on those costs.
No. A playing budget is defined as money available to spend on playing staff. Teams comign down from the premiership generally have overspent on the playing staff, and this is part of the reason why they get parachute payments, and generally a large part of these parachute payments are already taken up on contracts, which as why as I said before, teams coming down, don't always bounce straight back, which is why we still big clubs in the third tier.

So what's OUR playing budget?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes
Calderon
Ankergren
Brezovan
Lua Lua
Harley
Painter
Agdestein
Sparrow
Vincelot
Greer
El Abd
Harley
Mackail Smith
Bridcutt

All players who have played most of their careers at League One level, or lower. Off the top of my head.

Considering this, what makes you think we are even near to competing wages wise with sides full of players who have played Prem and Champ football? And also, considering the above, we are hardly underachieving, are we?
WOW!! Another one who classes Ashley Barnes as a league one players, yet attacks anyoine who dares speak against him.

Thinking Bridcutt or CMS or even Lua Lua are one league one contracts or league one players, makes about as much sense as you're view that Gus should be allowed to take us back down before we even consider sacking him.

Now taking away that whats left only Greer and El Abd are in the squad and likely to play reguarlly, thats a pretty poor list.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No. A playing budget is defined as money available to spend on playing staff. Teams comign down from the premiership generally have overspent on the playing staff, and this is part of the reason why they get parachute payments, and generally a large part of these parachute payments are already taken up on contracts, which as why as I said before, teams coming down, don't always bounce straight back, which is why we still big clubs in the third tier.

According to your definition, less than the clubs I have detailed above, as they are playing Premiership wages.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You are correct these people moaning about Gus.....are they the same ones who cheered him to the rafters when he got us promoted...we will lose games.....get used to it....there are no teams in the Championship who have won every game.The trouble is in these days everybody wants instant gratification.Yes we want to win,but it's not the end of the world if we don't....take measurements at the end of the season
But people are not moaning of the back of the last four games. They never moaned much when we went 10 without a win this time last season. They are moaning because the manager hasn't learnt from his mistakes last year, and judging by his comments in the interview tonight.... comments that were referred to in teh thread heading and STILL not be discussed after four plus pages, it appears he is not willing to learn from them.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Premiership wages tend to be paid to Premiership players, who are on those wages because they are better than Championship players, so I am not sure of the point you are making.

Blackburn signed Rhodes for £8 million and Leon Best for £3 million with their parachute payment. Bolton have kept the majority of their squad.

Both over priced gambles by Steve Keen - The point of parachute payments is to let teams down gently from the cost of the prem - you can use/gamble the money to buy new players (as you infer they did) but if it stuffs up you won't have the money to buy any one else.

My point is that the money for building/rebuilding a squad is normally nothing to with parachute payments. If a team gets relegated from the prem I bet they still get premiership wages or they have a let out clause.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You've made the point there - premiership wages. We don't pay that, ergo we don't have prem quality players.

Anyone who thinks we are anywhere near the top wages wise is totally retarded. Our squad is half League One players FFS.

I totally agree re us- but Blackburn will be still paying mostly prem wages to their players which is why you need parachute money. Its a misconception by supporters that the payments are to help you buy players to get you back up!

Look at Sheff Utd they had parapayments and £5M from the Tevez fiasco

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think the point he is making, is because a lot of teams have parachute payments, it doesn't mean it gives them spending power, which is why a lot of teams who come out of the premiership on parachute payments, spend a long time waiting to get back into it. West Ham went for shit or bust. They got lucky. If they hadn't they would probably be looking forward to a spell in the third tier, like what has happened to a lot of sides coming out of the premiership on parachute payments. Way to easy to say sides coming down from the premiership have bigger budgets. Doesn't mean they have free money to spend.

Thats exactly right - Sheff U being another perfect example - the tevez money probably coming too late

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Based on the financial fair play rules introduced by the Football League in 2012/13 and using the same metrics that we have historically had in relation to , I estimate it to be be £14.5-£16 million. The average wage bill in the CCC last season was £18.5 million. Middlesboro, in their last financial statements, had a wage bill of £36.3 million.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Both over priced gambles by Steve Keen - The point of parachute payments is to let teams down gently from the cost of the prem - you can use/gamble the money to buy new players (as you infer they did) but if it stuffs up you won't have the money to buy any one else.

My point is that the money for building/rebuilding a squad is normally nothing to with parachute payments. If a team gets relegated from the prem I bet they still get premiership wages or they have a let out clause.

I agree with most of what you say, but if the relegated team keeps the players, then they are likely to be better than players who have played in the championship/League 1 for the last few seasons. If the team keeps these players they have a greater chance of being in contention the following season.

I am beating my head against a brick wall though, ultimately I take the view that money talks in football, and has a greater impact than tactics or post match interviews. Other people take a different viewpoint, as is their right and privilege.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Based on the financial fair play rules introduced by the Football League in 2012/13 and using the same metrics that we have historically had in relation to , I estimate it to be be £14.5-£16 million. The average wage bill in the CCC last season was £18.5 million. Middlesboro, in their last financial statements, had a wage bill of £36.3 million.
I'm not asking for Middlesbroughs or a guess. You sounded like you know what it is. I take it you don't. We can all guess what it is.

Now are those guesses operational figures, or playing budgets, as you seemed to the two confused earlier? Not if it really matters if you're only guessing.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I agree with most of what you say, but if the relegated team keeps the players, then they are likely to be better than players who have played in the championship/League 1 for the last few seasons. If the team keeps these players they have a greater chance of being in contention the following season.

I am beating my head against a brick wall though, ultimately I take the view that money talks in football, and has a greater impact than tactics or post match interviews. Other people take a different viewpoint, as is their right and privilege.
Disagree with you there as well.

You said Bolton kept most of their players, so by that statement, they should have a team of premiership players so should be pissing this division. They are not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
28 posts, and still no one has said they agree with Poyet's comments.

Maybe even his loyalist followers are having trouble explaining those comments?

But hey. Bury your heads and take it out on me.

I can handle it!!! :lol:

I agree with him.

He says the teams that came to us did nothing to win the game with the way they set up and played. Yes, Birmingham managed to get a win but with a fine volley from a Greer clearance, not because they outplayed us. They relied on a moment of magic. You can't do that every game. Yes, Middlesbrough got a win against us, thanks to a deflected shot and some lax finishing from us, you can't rely on that sort of luck every week. They didn't earn their wins on the balance of play, and over the course of a season, if you play that style you will lose more often than you win.

That is what Gus is saying, and I agree. Play like we do every week and we will win more than we lose (something we have done every season with Gus) and it's usually good football to play and watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here