Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Post Match Comments - Did he really mean that?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Last season there were three major striker signings in January, Vaz Te to West Ham, Sharp to Southampton and Roberts to Reading.

Which three teams were promoted?

I take us to do the same,i really do,i think TB will gamble large in January this time for that player or 2 that will make all the difference if,if we are in the top 6 come January.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
My apologies, because I quoted you, it looks as though I said you're the one who turns on managers first. You have thought that Poyet will get sacked by Bonfire Night which is why I mentioned that.
There are the same old people who are negative all the time on this boards such at Withdean Wanderer, The Complete Badger, somerset to name but a few who are always miseries and always complaining about the manager.
Again, you're quoting me on something I've never said. Incredible. I've never said I think Poyet will be sacked by bonfire night. I've said if it was down to me, and we go 6 games without a win ie after Blackpool (barring in mind history suggest he can not get us out of rut) it's then I would strongly start to consider his position if I was in charge. I would have no problem with this bad run, if it was the first time its happened. My issue is Poyet cannot adapt to drag us out of a bad run.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I think Poyets comments are bang on.

We play a certain way, it's a style I have always loved, and this season we are creating loads more chances and at the moment not leaking loads of goals. We will score more goals, it's not even November yet.

If I was a Boro or Birmingham fan I wouldve come away from those games thinking my team had been lucky to win. Especially yesterday when we dominated the game and had 4 times as many chances as the visitors.

Its weird, football, a game whereby the manager can do only so much yet the failure of the players to put the ball in the back of the net is deemed his fault.

The last few games have been a great example of form, as were the games beforehand. On our day we are a classy side, but there will be days when it doesn't click. Boro are having a bit of good form at the moment, there'll be times when it doesn't click for them as well.

I'm on the Gus bus & also the "Groovy Gang"

It's awesome and I love it.

I dont totally agree with you here. Yes the standard of football we are playing nowadays is a vast improvement on previous years and I too enjoy watching and love every minute of it, but it is not satisfactory that we cannot beat teams like Brum, Ipswich, Derby and Mboro. Gus thinks that possession football wins matches but it doesn't if there is no end product. A team full of defenders and holding midfield players are always going to be good at keeping possession, but they are not going to win you matches. The best game we have played this season was the home game v Shef Wed and I really thought that we might be in for a good season, but Shef Wed are very poor and teams are doing to them what we did to them week after week. So, it was a flattering performance and the last 4 games have really brought home are shortcomings. We are not presently good enough to see off average teams. Last season Saints and West ham would have murdered Brum, Ipswich and Derby, just like they did us at Upton Park. Why ?, because they have a cutting edge with forwards who can score goals. We are short in this department and it does not make sense to keep your most dangerous and creative players on the bench, especially at home.
Having said all that, our style of play is better suited to away games, so I would not be too surprised if we get a result at either Leicester or Blackpool next week. However, if we dont then there will need to be some serious thinking on what action TB should do to arrest the slide.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Again, you're quoting me on something I've never said. Incredible. I've never said I think Poyet will be sacked by bonfire night. I've said if it was down to me, and we go 6 games without a win ie after Blackpool (barring in mind history suggest he can not get us out of rut) it's then I would strongly start to consider his position if I was in charge. I would have no problem with this bad run, if it was the first time its happened. My issue is Poyet cannot adapt to drag us out of a bad run.

No it doesn't.
He ended a 6 game winless run in his first year with us, and a four game winless run later that season.
He ended a 5 game winless run in his second season with us.
Towards the start of this season, people carried over the end of last seasons run, so following that logic, his second season with us ended with a four game winles run, which he ended with the start of his third season.
He ended a 9 game winless run early last season.
He ended a 4 game run of losses last season.
He ended a "10 game" winless run bridging the end of last season and the start of this.

History shows he constantly gets us out of ruts. It's staying out of them he apparently has trouble with.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No it doesn't.
He ended a 6 game winless run in his first year with us, and a four game winless run later that season.
He ended a 5 game winless run in his second season with us.
Towards the start of this season, people carried over the end of last seasons run, so following that logic, his second season with us ended with a four game winles run, which he ended with the start of his third season.
He ended a "10 game" winless run bridging the end of last season and the start of this.

History shows he constantly gets us out of ruts. It's staying out of them he apparently has trouble with.

Hmm,almost what [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION] is saying imo-still despite the sense that he states and i almost find myself agreeing with much that he posts,i know Gus will prevail and this will all be fogotten in the long run.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hmm,almost what [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION] is saying imo-still despite the sense that he states and i almost find myself agreeing with much that he posts,i know Gus will prevail and this will all be fogotten in the long run.

I think not getting out of ruts and getting us out of ruts lots of times is significantly different. One means once we stop winning we won't ever start again, the other means it's a temporary run.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think not getting out of ruts and getting us out of ruts lots of times is significantly different. One means once we stop winning we won't ever start again, the other means it's a temporary run.

Yes but if you for example are unemployed and get out of it only to go back into unemployment is the same as not being able to get out of unemployment-

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes but if you for example are unemployed and get out of it only to go back into unemployment is the same as not being able to get out of unemployment-

But it also means losng your job isn't something to commit suicide over, because you know you have the ability to get a new one.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But it also means losng your job isn't something to commit suicide over, because you know you have the ability to get a new one.

Yes,so long as you have good health and a touch of luck along the way-with Gus we have and will have both.... some cannot see it right now

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I dont totally agree with you here. Yes the standard of football we are playing nowadays is a vast improvement on previous years and I too enjoy watching and love every minute of it, but it is not satisfactory that we cannot beat teams like Brum, Ipswich, Derby and Mboro. Gus thinks that possession football wins matches but it doesn't if there is no end product. A team full of defenders and holding midfield players are always going to be good at keeping possession, but they are not going to win you matches. The best game we have played this season was the home game v Shef Wed and I really thought that we might be in for a good season, but Shef Wed are very poor and teams are doing to them what we did to them week after week. So, it was a flattering performance and the last 4 games have really brought home are shortcomings. We are not presently good enough to see off average teams. Last season Saints and West ham would have murdered Brum, Ipswich and Derby, just like they did us at Upton Park. Why ?, because they have a cutting edge with forwards who can score goals. We are short in this department and it does not make sense to keep your most dangerous and creative players on the bench, especially at home.
Having said all that, our style of play is better suited to away games, so I would not be too surprised if we get a result at either Leicester or Blackpool next week. However, if we dont then there will need to be some serious thinking on what action TB should do to arrest the slide.

But his tactics do work, in that we are not letting in many goals and we are creating chances.

Yesterday We had 16 shots to boros 4. Is it down to Gus that players didnt put those chances away?

Don't get me wrong, I do think Gus will make mistakes, if he was perfect then he would already be managing a Premier League side.
However i think people have to accept that our team, our set up, our style of play AND our manager are still a work in progress. With that comes ups and downs.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I rest my case

If after 2 or 3 winless games and lame performances, a manager cannot change the way the team plays, then how can he be classed as a top manager.

If those runs go on to 9 or 10 games, surely alarm bells would be ringing. There's not many clubs that would tolerate a two spell period where the manager goes nearly 19 games without a win. There's not many that could go 10 games without a win and still have a job to be honest. I think Poyet only got away with it becuase of our recent history.

I don't see him going on another 10 games winless streak and still being here to repeat again at the end of the season.

If he proves this time he hasn't got the know how/willingness to change a bad run before it gets to double figures, I think he'll be gone. And if we lose the next two, and on current form it looks highly likely, I fairly certain sections of the crowd will turn on him against Leeds unless we come out of the traps flying. Can his ego take that?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But his tactics do work, in that we are not letting in many goals and we are creating chances.

Yesterday We had 16 shots to boros 4. Is it down to Gus that players didnt put those chances away?

Don't get me wrong, I do think Gus will make mistakes, if he was perfect then he would already be managing a Premier League side.
However i think people have to accept that our team, our set up, our style of play AND our manager are still a work in progress. With that comes ups and downs.
Progress is the key word. We are not progessing. We are heading for a completel de ja vu of a season. Great start, crap run that puts us mid table.

We have a much better squad, but don't appear to be progressing. If I had come away from Flamer yesterday and thought we was unlucky to lose I could handle it. Middlesbrough done a job on us, and Gus had no answer.

I come away from the Ipswich match, thinking how lucky we were not to get done 2 or 3-0.

Read interesting quote from Gus today that if we dont win Tuesday he'll go and get this striker and change it.... he needs to, because I think the clocks might starting clicking for him soon, if he fails to turn things around sooner than he's managed to in the past.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Progress is the key word. We are not progessing. We are heading for a completel de ja vu of a season. Great start, crap run that puts us mid table.

We have a much better squad, but don't appear to be progressing. If I had come away from Flamer yesterday and thought we was unlucky to lose I could handle it. Middlesbrough done a job on us, and Gus had no answer.

I come away from the Ipswich match, thinking how lucky we were not to get done 2 or 3-0.

Read interesting quote from Gus today that if we dont win Tuesday he'll go and get this striker and change it.... he needs to, because I think the clocks might starting clicking for him soon, if he fails to turn things around sooner than he's managed to in the past.

Indeed its fair to say WE were the lucky ones to get a point against ipswich. They should have been well out of sight before we equalised.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I rest my case

If after 2 or 3 winless games and lame performances, a manager cannot change the way the team plays, then how can he be classed as a top manager.

If those runs go on to 9 or 10 games, surely alarm bells would be ringing. There's not many clubs that would tolerate a two spell period where the manager goes nearly 19 games without a win. There's not many that could go 10 games without a win and still have a job to be honest. I think Poyet only got away with it becuase of our recent history.

I don't see him going on another 10 games winless streak and still being here to repeat again at the end of the season.

If he proves this time he hasn't got the know how/willingness to change a bad run before it gets to double figures, I think he'll be gone. And if we lose the next two, and on current form it looks highly likely, I fairly certain sections of the crowd will turn on him against Leeds unless we come out of the traps flying. Can his ego take that?

A team going undefeated for the whole season is a very rare thing. Every team will lose games. Reading failed to win 19 games and won the division. Southampton failed to win 20 games and still got promoted. West ham failed to win 22 games and still went up. That isn't rare, the season before qpr (22), Norwich (23) and Swansea (22) the year before.

Our winless games have come in bunches. That this has happened several times through Gus's tenure shows that is part of having him as our manager. In our promotion season we failed to win 18 games. Only five of them were separate from any other winless game (and two of those bookended a run of thee games). By this stage I'm sure Tony Bloom realises this. It's not like we win one lose one, win one lose one, win one lose one, win one lose 10 - and thus have it completely out of balance. This fixation of yours on the distribution of wins is something Tony Bloom apparently doesn't share. He seems to look at season totals and what is reasonable to expect of a team that is progressing from League 1 relegation candidates to eventual Premier League hopefuls. TB probably also pays attention to things like missing Bruno, Crofts, and CMS affecting the team, new signings needing time to get used to or system/get fit, the team playing well and creating chances just not having the luck with some of the finishing.

Yes, a lot of chairmen will fire managers who go on long wins without a run, but they tend to allow for longer runs if there is a large number of draws in that run, they also tend to give the manager more time if there have been accompanying runs of wins. And also, chairmen (and the fans who put so much pressure on chairmen) are frequently criticised for their impatience (even when firing a manager on the back of a winless run), and that is with managers who haven't proven an ability to end a run.

A lot of those managers "lose the locker room", Gus has never done that. We have had poor runs, but everyone has been on board with turning it around and everyone has gone out there trying to play gus's game.

I'm not arguing Gus is the greatest ever (he is one of the most successful on a wins/points basis), or faultless. But I think you make too much of the distribution of our winless games. I would rather have two runs of winless games totalling 19, than to win every other game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
it is not satisfactory that we cannot beat teams like Brum, Ipswich, Derby and Mboro.

Why not? They are all established Championship clubs, so what gives us right to beat them? We have not beaten M'Boro for 22 years, I cleaned up at William Hill yesterday when I saw the odds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here