Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic torch arrives in Sussex tomorrow

Yes my Dad is carrying it. Won SE unsung hero for BBC SPoY. He has run youth cricket teams (St Matthias) for at least 30 years. He is carrying it from Wilbury Gardens on Old Shoreham Road. His name is Alan if you want to give him some encouragement

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
look out for these shirts at the Olympics
article-1342359828268-14127ADF000005DC-203673_636x395.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So anyone know? I appreciate I will be able to see it, just want to make sure I've left enough time to yomp over to Hove Lawns if that's the finish.

2012 Olympic Torch Relay - Brighton Hove City Council

Hove Torch route

Arrives in Hove at 5:55pm Monday 16 July 2012

Change from Convoy to Torchbearer at A2038 King George VI Avenue
A2023 Nevill Road
The Droveway
When the convoy reaches Hove Park, the Torchbearer and security will separate from the vehicles. The Torchbearer leads through the park while the vehicles go round the edge of the park on the roads.
Torchbearer in Hove Park (Disabled viewing point at south end of the park)
A2070 Old Shoreham Road (should be A270)
The Torchbearer and the convoy are reunited at the corner of Old Shoreham Road. B2185 The Drive
B2185 Grand Avenue
A259 Kingsway
Adelaide Crescent
Palmeira Square
Palmeira Avenue (Disabled viewing point)
Lansdowne Road
Eaton Road
Palmeira Avenue into Sussex Country Cricket Club official evening celebration site

There is a map on the BHCC site to show the route and all the torch handover points.
But they've forgotten to add them to the frigging map!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
excellent...thanks mate

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
According to the BBC website, over 9 million MORONS have come along to watch the the torch so far, I blame the parents for making everyone so excited about stuff!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
People who pay money to go and watch the pastimes at the actual Olympics are bad enough, but the people who turn out to see a piece of metal with a flame on the top truly are beyond words. I'm not going to throw any insults around because there are none that can justify just how much of a moron you need to be.

Sounds like you need to be a complete badger.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Excellent article in todays Guardian about London Road being the venue for the Brighton part of the torch relay, well worth a read;

Olympic torch route, day 59: from sublime to dear old ugly in Hove and Brighton | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Well, I'm glad that dear, ugly old London Road – along which I walk almost every day, on my way to the railway station or into town – is Brighton's representative on the route to London 2012. With its collection of charity shops, pawn shops and empty shops (including the much mourned Co-op building, once Brighton's largest department store), it's hardly the cliched vision of smug, Guardian-loving Brighton which irritates even Guardian readers (though there is a Costa here these days).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am really amazed that anyone really gives a s-h-i-t. Who cares? So what? A flaming torch being carried around the country! You really couldn't make this kind of thing up. The whole thing is truly pathetic.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Currently on its way to Chichester - running 10 minutes late at the moment as well.

Love how people are saying its pathetic when 9 MILLION have been out to see it so far. If anything its bringing a bit of a cheer to some tough times.....and depressing weather. You probably will never see the Olympics in the UK again and the torch in Sussex again - so cheer up !!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am really amazed that anyone really gives a s-h-i-t. Who cares? So what? A bunch of yobs kicking a ball around for 90 minutes, watched by morons! You really couldn't make this kind of thing up. The whole thing is truly pathetic.

Edited for the view of a typical non-football fan.

Horses for courses innit? Hence my previous response to the now quiet Badger about EVERYONE watching it being morons. Clearly they are not, they just like different things to him, you, and others. Nothing new really...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Currently on its way to Chichester - running 10 minutes late at the moment as well.

Love how people are saying its pathetic when 9 MILLION have been out to see it so far. If anything its bringing a bit of a cheer to some tough times.....and depressing weather. You probably will never see the Olympics in the UK again and the torch in Sussex again - so cheer up !!

How exactly can a person carrying a flaming torch bring cheer to anyone?

And not seeing the Olympics in the UK again is most certainly a very good thing.

They should take the whole mess back to Greece where it belongs and leave it there.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
How exactly can a person carrying a flaming torch bring cheer to anyone?

And not seeing the Olympics in the UK again is most certainly a very good thing.

They should take the whole mess back to Greece where it belongs and leave it there.

Its a once in a lifetime thing that you will never see in the best county in the world again ? Some people really need a sense of perspective, like it or not the Olympics are in the UK. Perhaps instead of moaning about them, at least attempt to enjoy a summer of sport, with the start of the season sandwiches in between.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think that this is mostly a victory for hype. I have no interest in standing in the rain cheering a bandy legged local micro celeb puff along in the wind and rain surrounded by corporate thugs.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Just gone past my place of work in Lavant. But in a van! (doesn't seem very traditional)

Anyway, it's in our catchment area folks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here