Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic torch arrives in Sussex tomorrow

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
According to the Worthing Herald, only 1 of the 13 relay runners through the town are local. Still, should be good fun to watch.

I was nominated as a torch bearer, however, pardon the pun...fell at the last hurdle.
There were thousands of people nominated, however, very few places have been given to the public. The over riding majority are nominated by the sponsors (one of the perks). I think it is only 25% of places for the public & the vast majority of these are for young sports people, so little chance for locals.

Once nominated, there was three selection processes, weeding out the nominations. In my case I got through round one & two, but missed out in the end, not that you got interviewed (all done on the web).

If I was bitter, I would say it was because I am local, white, heterosexual, able bodied, middle aged & male so clearly didn't qualify!!!!!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Someone from the company I work for is carrying it part way through Bexhill.
I don't personally know anyone though!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we saw the torch in the rain in Southampton yesterday eveing at 6:30 ish.

For those of you who are going , be prepared to see loads of coppers on bikes, loads of coppers in cars, loads of coppers holding back the crowds, two or three coaches, a lorry or two, a coca cola bus thing, loads of coppers in greay tracksuits and a fleeting glimpse of someone holding teh torch, smiling and waving and you have to avoind the millions of camera phones trying to video the whole thing.

Its was great fun though....the saints fan next to me ( I had my brighton waterproof on) said he thought adkins was deluded and isnt that happy with all the money they are chucking around citing teh "blue scum" as he called them down the road.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
we saw the torch in the rain in Southampton yesterday eveing at 6:30 ish.

For those of you who are going , be prepared to see loads of coppers on bikes, loads of coppers in cars, loads of coppers holding back the crowds, two or three coaches, a lorry or two, a coca cola bus thing, loads of coppers in greay tracksuits and a fleeting glimpse of someone holding teh torch, smiling and waving and you have to avoind the millions of camera phones trying to video the whole thing.

Its was great fun though....the saints fan next to me ( I had my brighton waterproof on) said he thought adkins was deluded and isnt that happy with all the money they are chucking around citing teh "blue scum" as he called them down the road.

I saw it in Devon on Day 2, and ...this...

but it was fantastic, and although it could clearly have done without the sponsors, it was still a great afternoon out and I'm really glad I went. Makes you feel patriotic and looking forward to the games, no mean feat!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw it in Devon on Day 2, and ...this...

but it was fantastic, and although it could clearly have done without the sponsors, it was still a great afternoon out and I'm really glad I went. Makes you feel patriotic and looking forward to the games, no mean feat!

totally agree

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I see Eddie Kidd is carrying it through Lewes. For younger viewers, Eddie Kidd was a motorcycle stuntman back in the day (the English equivalent of Evel Knieval), he ended up brain damaged and confined to a wheelchair after an accident. He walked the London Marathon last year (he dumped his wheelchair at the start and actually walked it - took him a month and a half - I assume he'll be in his chair for the torch relay or the Lewes leg might overrun a tad). Mr Kidd lives in Peacehaven which should cheer the "hardly any locals" lot up a bit...

If I was bitter, I would say it was because I am local, white, heterosexual, able bodied, middle aged & male so clearly didn't qualify!!!!!
A mate of mine - local, white, heterosexual, able bodied, middle aged & male - is carrying it through Hastings. And he's a good community activist.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Anyone know someone carrying it?

I'm assuming it'll be the usual mix of corporates, local celebrities and worthy locals.

Mendoza must be involved at some point surely?

Saying that, if he was, he'd have already told us.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
People who pay money to go and watch the pastimes at the actual Olympics are bad enough, but the people who turn out to see a piece of metal with a flame on the top truly are beyond words. I'm not going to throw any insults around because there are none that can justify just how much of a moron you need to be.

There's something really sad about this statement. I suspect that TCB doesn't have very much light in his life.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Watching the video feed of Portsmouth, I haven't noticed any Pompey shirts yet.

The feed seems to have gone down as they near Southsea Common. Have they forgotten to pay for the equipment etc?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My niece from Southwick carried it in Portland / Weymouth on Friday morning.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm leading a sad life because I DON'T want to stand outside and watch some no-mark jog along with a piece of metal in his hand? Are you for real?

It has nothing to do with the reality - if it did why would people pay to watch 22 grown men in vests and shorts kick an inflated bag of leather around. It's all about the occasion. If you can't understand that then yes you really do have a sad and depressing life.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Three people on my floor at work are carrying the torch. Only one will actually be carrying it in Sussex.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
People who pay money to go and watch the pastimes at the actual Olympics are bad enough, but the people who turn out to see a piece of metal with a flame on the top truly are beyond words. I'm not going to throw any insults around because there are none that can justify just how much of a moron you need to be.

To be fair, you can rationalise just about anything in this way. A car is just a lump of glass and metal that gets you from A to B (doesn't stop people forking out thousands for luxury models); BHAFC is just a squad of men who get paid to kick a football around in front of tens of thousands of people (doesn't stop us selling out of STs though, does it?) Why do people celebrate birthdays and anniversaries? It's symbolic and has meaning - it's not just another day. Slating people who cheer on a symbol of the Olympic Games (a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity) is a tad harsh, no?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
A wise man only speaks when he has something to say, yet a fool speaks when he has to say something.

Let NSC decide.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It has nothing to do with the reality - if it did why would people pay to watch 22 grown men in vests and shorts kick an inflated bag of leather around. It's all about the occasion. If you can't understand that then yes you really do have a sad and depressing life.

This. I only had to walk to the top of my road when it went through my area, I'm not sure I would have gone any further... but it was quite surprisingly uplifting, and strangely like being in a crowd going to a football match and returning afterwards. To see all the neighbours out together, was very cheering and exciting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here