Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mcghee slates ckr

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Regardless of what you or anyone else on this planet thinks of the bloke the facts speak for themselves. We sold a player for next to nothing who was then re-sold not very long afterwards for 10X the amount we sold him for. 1 season on he is probably worth 5X that amount! You don't think we f***ed up slightly here?

Err.....No

The consensus of opinion on NSC was that he was a flair player who contributed little to the team effort, and was very difficult to handle from a managerial perspective, (and this was equally true at Bury). We made a good profit on him (fee paid £45k, total money received £150k +25% of the sell on profit, so works out at about £350k in total) from one season in the Championship, in which he scored 6 (SIX) goals in a full season. How much do you think a striker is worth who has that strike record?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Okay, I'll bite.

We sold CKR, when you include the add-on, for around £300,000.

Deducting the add on, Sheffield United recieved less than £1m for him, so that is THREE times, rather than TEN.
Cor if ever there was a man ready to be a Labour Spin Doctor here he is:clap:

Why is that spin?

IS it more accurate to keep banging on about pretending we gave him away for £150k and how shortsighted we were, when that clearly was not the case, which is why we actually recouped over £300k?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
no. 1.2 million is peanuts to a champions league team. 150k is peanuts to a premiership club. to us, it is a lot of money. and i was not asking you about the financial side of it, scroll back and read again. i asked what CKR actually does to make him a even half decent player

I'm going to explain to you the ins and outs of what makes a decent player. The fact he is playing in the semi final of a major European tournament suggests to me he is a decent player.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Well, this thread really does show the TRAGIC attitude some albion fans have towards talent and technique. 22 months ago, CKR was playing for us. Now, he's almost certainly earning six figures a WEEK, he's playing for one of the top clubs in Turkey, he's had a season in the champions league (with another one coming up), and he's in the semi-final, yes the last FOUR, of this CONTINENT'S most prestigious tournament.

On the other hand, we, Brighton and Hove Albion, continue to play in the stadium I used to go to for my school sports day. Sometimes, in front of as little as 4,500 people. We're in the THIRD tier of English football, and have no players that even a fraction of the country has heard of. One day we might be alright, but I've been hearing that for 15 years now.

So, please do tell me how some people on this thread can genuinely slag off the achievements of a bloke who's been one of the success stories of WORLD football over the last year? What possible right do you have? Do you think CKR cares about the views from some tin-pot club? So, he didn't try his hardest all the time he was here because, in his words, he's too good for league one. Well it's been damn well proven that he IS!! He's done more in twelve months than BHAFC will do in 100 years, and that is why he is totally, completely in the right.

What a ridiculous thing to say. If that was the case then nobody would be able to make any comment on anything or anybody higher than themselves. Of course we have a right to say what we think of the arrogant little bastard. We could turn the tables and say why have you got so carried away on this over-rated player (like you claim a lot of NSC posters do).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to explain to you the ins and outs of what makes a decent player. The fact he is playing in the semi final of a major European tournament suggests to me he is a decent player.

When?

barney

Jul 31, 2006

why? tell me why. tell me how he has convinced you he is such a good player in his years of PROLIFIC goal scoring as a world class champions league standard striker

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Carlton Palmer played for England Arthur.

So ignoring things that 'suggest' how good he is, answer people's questions and explain to us what CKR actually CONTRIBUTES to his football team. [Aside from his one goal every 25 mtaches].

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I absolutely cannot believe this! Yes he plays in the Champions League. Yes he's in the semi finals of the Euros. But I really fail to see that he's as good as Arthur and Badger make out, in fact I'm completely baffled. I'm not denying he's done well for himself, but he has been one of the most luckiest people alive to have achieved what he has on his talent. It's been said before, but what does he actually bring to a team? I see there has been no reply to Easy's post referring to this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There was no guarantee of any future money coming in. Sheffield United may well have a sell-on fee too, which one day may inflate the money they receive. You can only look at the basic transfer fee, and to be fair that shows we sold him for £150k and Sheffield for £1.25m.

Bollocks. that's just spinning it the other way. The hard facts are that we DID recieve a significant sum for CKRs sale. It was not £150k. If El Pres is correct that the sell-on was as high as 25% of the future profit, then we recieved £425k, which I would consider a very good deal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How much more were we going to get for a sulky little brat who'd got 6 in 43 whilst towing an ego the size of the Titanic behind him ?

The fact we got that sell-on clause into the deal completely offset the relatively low fee we received at the time.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Carlton Palmer played for England Arthur.

So ignoring things that 'suggest' how good he is, answer people's questions and explain to us what CKR actually CONTRIBUTES to his football team. [Aside from his one goal every 25 mtaches].

Carlton Palmer also transferred for nearly £6m quid in his career so people who know a damn sight more about the beautiful game than you (and possibly me) thought something of the bloke.

CKR is good on the ball, he's a terrier, he's a good finisher, his crossing is not the greatest but neither is Ronaldo's! Above it all he is clearly good enough to play at the top level as he has done in this country, Turkey and now on the world stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here