Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McCammon can f*** RIGHT OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
His recent viral illness was unfortunate but with games the lingering effects on his fitness of that will recede.

If he doesn't play, then it's McPhee, who I'm afraid doesn't have the same physical presence to trouble defenders at this level. So a three-quarters-fit McCammon it is.

I guess the way round McPhee is that Virgo is asked to be the target man and then you play in the next couple of games one of Hart or Molango up with him. I would have thought there is some call for a third centre back with a bit of pace to play with Dolan and Butters and then a very combative midfield featuring 3 from Oatway, Carpenter, Nicolas and Hammond. I think going down that route might at least shore things up a bit.

Those are certainly options, but I just simply don't believe OGH or Maheta (or Jake) up front will create as much problems for defences as Big Mac will. I would still play Leon up front ahead of those three.

My ranking of our strikers is this:
1) Big Mac
2) Virgs
3) Leon
4) Maheta
5) McPhee
6) Jake
7) OGH

I'm not especially concerned about shoring things up, we've had two decent defensive performances in a row now and Chippy coming back will improve things further. The key is getting the right blend in attack.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
"AND Christiano Ronaldo, I have NEVER found myself in the position where I would actually take a perverse PLEASURE in seeing your career ended with a reckless challenge "

I have , the mans a c unt

London Irish said:

My ranking of our strikers is this:
1) Big Mac
2) Virgs
3) Leon
4) Maheta
5) McPhee
6) Jake
7) OGH

Whilst I support many of your big Mac comments LI, I really can't see how you can rate him as the best striker at the club on what we've seen so far. Would he have got 26 goals last season had he been in Leons place?
(Nearly said Leons shoes there but would have left myself wide open)

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
McCammon must be the only player in Football League history to be stretchered off with flu. That moment alone should afford him 'legend' status.

:lolol: :p :lolol:

Lokki 7 said:
Whilst I support many of your big Mac comments LI, I really can't see how you can rate him as the best striker at the club on what we've seen so far. Would he have got 26 goals last season had he been in Leons place?
(Nearly said Leons shoes there but would have left myself wide open)

No, he wouldn't, but our circumstances are very different now. As McGhee explained when he signed him, Big Mac makes other contributions to the team than prolific goal-scoring. He unsettles and worries defences and forces them into errors that gives him and others the opportunity to score.

People seem to have some amnesia to the fact that Leon has played a huge number of games up front this season. It is his failure in that position that has forced McGhee into taking another approach.

The problem we have is that Leon can't score goals against these better Championship defenders. The sad fact is, that even the limited games Big Mac has had, he has the same number of goals as Leon, and I can't say for sure on this, but he might even have a better ratio of assists as a CF, think of Chippy's goal against Sunderland, Virgs against Wigan, Virgs against the Gills.

Last edited:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
McCammon must be the only player in Football League history to be stretchered off with flu. That moment alone should afford him 'legend' status.

:lolol: :p :lolol:

Mmmm.....don't ever give up the day job to pursue a career in medicine.

It wasn't flu, was it? Still, keep the blunders coming.

How's your "worst signing in the Football League" doing at Ipswich at the moment, TLB? You know, don't do yourself down, you're not far away from legend status yourself!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
No, he wouldn't, but our circumstances are very different now. As McGhee explained when he signed him, Big Mac makes other contributions to the team than prolific goal-scoring. He unsettles and worries defences and forces them into errors that gives him and others the opportunity to score.

People seem to have some amnesia to the fact that Leon has played a huge number of games up front this season. It is his failure in that position that has forced McGhee into taking another approach.

The problem we have is that Leon can't score goals against these better Championship defenders. The sad fact is, that even the limited games Big Mac has had, he has the same number of goals as Leon, and I can't say for sure on this, but he might even have a better ratio of assists as a CF, think of Chippy's goal against Sunderland, Virgs against Wigan, Virgs against the Gills.
But Leon's always had a problem with his attitude, thereby occasionally only giving half-hearted performances to go along with strops and tantrums. He has been playing well recently, although he was poor at Coventry. His dead balls (ooer) were just awful at times.

McCammon's commitment isn't in question, his ability is. And for that I mean the ability to control, pass, dribble, hustle, create openings, move off the ball, head and, ultimately, score. Aside from hustle (and the occasional dribble), he rates pretty low on those attributes.

It might be good enough for McGhee, it might be good enough for some fans, but for me, I'm sorry, it is NOT good enough.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One said:

McCammon's commitment isn't in question, his ability is. And for that I mean the ability to control, pass, dribble, hustle, create openings, move off the ball, head and, ultimately, score. Aside from hustle (and the occasional dribble), he rates pretty low on those attributes.

It might be good enough for McGhee, it might be good enough for some fans, but for me, I'm sorry, it is NOT good enough.

Agree completely.

Nobody is saying that McCammon does not run about and try his best but that is NOT good enough for a professional footballer.

It is not his fault he is crap but then it is also not the fans fault either and we are allowed to expect more from a Championship player.

Criticising him does not make anyone a bad fan. Every Brighton fan on this site loves the Albion. THAT is why it is so frustrating seeing someone with such an obvious lack of ability playing in the side we all love.

You have a terribly blinkered view of McCammon London Irish that only goes to devalue some of your points about his effort which are valid.

Richie, as with many things, you've already changed your mind about Mark McCammon at least half-a-dozen times in the past few months. Still plenty of time left this season for you to start praising Big Mac again :drink: :drink:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Perhaps there is also time for you to actually respond to someone's post without ignoring the valid points they make which disprove your argument...

I have not changed my mind about McCammon. I have said from the start I do not rate him. He scored some goals and I said I hoped he would prove me wrong but that I still did not rate him. I think you are confusing my pre emptive 'take the piss out of me saying he was crap' thread after the Sunderland game as me suddenly thinking McCammon is great when in reality it was just getting in before you got all self congratulating and smug because McCammon managed to head the ball in from five foot unmarked.

You know you'll change your mind again Richie. It's as inevitable as the sun setting and the moon rising.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blimey, bet MM cannot sleep at night knowing he is 'not rated' by ace fanzine non-producer Richie Morris.

Get off McCammon's back, he is limited but I don't think we have much better. Leon has not been prolific this season, due to a combinartion of few chances being created for him, but also better defenders and a lack of pace and ability to stay on his feet. McPhee lacks presence although a willing tryer, Jake is too lightweight, Molango looks like an error.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
El Presidente said:
Blimey, bet MM cannot sleep at night knowing he is 'not rated' by ace fanzine non-producer Richie Morris.

Get off McCammon's back, he is limited but I don't think we have much better. Leon has not been prolific this season, due to a combinartion of few chances being created for him, but also better defenders and a lack of pace and ability to stay on his feet. McPhee lacks presence although a willing tryer, Jake is too lightweight, Molango looks like an error.

Perhapse you should have made this post before the transfer deadline! :angry:

I do feel that you have dismissed Jake too lightly. People said similar things about a certain Peter Ward! With Adam Virgo as his minder he could do a better job for us than Backgammon. What does MM see in him and Oatway? :nono:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Richie, as with many things, you've already changed your mind about Mark McCammon at least half-a-dozen times in the past few months. Still plenty of time left this season for you to start praising Big Mac again :drink: :drink:

I havent

i said he was crap and i still stand by that

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
Mmmm.....don't ever give up the day job to pursue a career in medicine.

Oh dear, she's off again. So what was it, LI? A viral infection, was it? Perhaps I should amend the possible future quiz question to: "Who is the only player in league history to have been stretchered off with a viral infection?"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Oh dear, she's off again. So what was it, LI? A viral infection, was it? Perhaps I should amend the possible future quiz question to: "Who is the only player in league history to have been stretchered off with a viral infection?"

He had an inner ear infection. At Plymouth the doctors orders were not to play because even though he appeared to have recovered he still got dizzy spells.

He went onto medication which seemed to help but caused him to collapse at half time. He was having difficulties breathing.

His medication has since been changed but he still has the original problem.
The club have said he will stick with this new medication until the summer break when the medics should be able to get him sorted out or the virus has run its course.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Thanks, Doctor Yorkie! So, the pub quiz question now reads:

"Who is the only player in Football League history to have been stretchered off with an inner ear infection?"

:lolol: :thumbsup: :lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
As Mark is with us until at least the end of the season and we have no options to purchase anybody else then he gets my support as does every player that walks out onto the pitch wearing the seagulls colours. I do not care how good / bad a player is, the fact that he is playing for us is enough for me. I am also a firm believer in negative energy causing teams to under perform. If for once we all got behind the lads at Withdean then I am sure this luckless spell we are going through will clear and we will pick up enough points to stay in this division. It is about time that we stopped having a pop at our players / Manager / Chairman and started doing what we are supposed to do and support our team.:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here