Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London firefighters to strike on bonfire night

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Where did i imply they got paid? and why is that relevant?

As you mention it though.... Several Lifeboat crew happen to also be firefighters.

not having a pop as they do a fantastic job but highly trained is a bit strong. its not comparable to professional firefighters in the training stakes by a long chalk.

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
My son is a firefighter...

Can't believe some of the nonsense that I've just read on this thread.
He currently works 2 days of 9 am to 6 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 6 pm to 9 am = 48 hour week. He then has 4 days off.
What they ae trying to do is make them work 2 days of 8 am to 8 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 8 pm to 8 am = 48 hours.
Problem is that, despite a lot of negotiating, they are having these new hours arbitrarily imposed on them whether they like it or not, and that is why they are taking industrial action.
I am very proud of him having joined the fire service relatively recently and some of the rubbish that has been directed at firefighters on this thread is, frankly, both misplaced and disgraceful!

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Can't believe some of the nonsense that I've just read on this thread.
He currently works 2 days of 9 am to 6 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 6 pm to 9 am = 48 hour week. He then has 4 days off.
What they ae trying to do is make them work 2 days of 8 am to 8 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 8 pm to 8 am = 48 hours.
Problem is that, despite a lot of negotiating, they are having these new hours arbitrarily imposed on them whether they like it or not, and that is why they are taking industrial action.
I am very proud of him having joined the fire service relatively recently and some of the rubbish that has been directed at firefighters on this thread is, frankly, both misplaced and disgraceful!

Oh boo hoo if they have a problem with the hours or money try to resolve it in an adult fashion or get another job. Going on strike on bonfire night is putting peoples lives at risk and the people pay their wages with council tax. Get the army in, as Im sure they would be grateful for a nights rest playing the xbox and drinking tea

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
What they ae trying to do is make them work 2 days of 8 am to 8 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 8 pm to 8 am = 48 hours

Exactly the hours I do in the haematology lab. It changed to meet the demands of the service we provide.

It's surely easier to do 4 12 hour shifts than a couple of 'normal' ones followed by a couple of beasts. If that's why they're striking, it's pathetic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh boo hoo if they have a problem with the hours or money try to resolve it in an adult fashion or get another job. Going on strike on bonfire night is putting peoples lives at risk and the people pay their wages with council tax. Get the army in, as Im sure they would be grateful for a nights rest playing the xbox and drinking tea

OK - putting aside the ignorant statement you've made - what job do you do ? Let's just assume it's a cushy 9.00 - 5.30 one. Would you be pissed off if your employer suddenly said tell you what, we will now force you to work midday to 8.30 - would you be happy ? No of course you wouldn't and I bet your job doesn't involve you putting your life on the line. Bet the most dangerous thing you do in your job is decide if you want tea or coffee from the vending machine :tosser:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Sorry but what a wanker you are. This has to be the most ignorant post I have ever seen on here. Where would we be if all firefighters took your advice and 'Found another job' ? What about not lighting any fireworks or would that upset you childish little world ?

:tosser::tosser::tosser:

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
OK - putting aside the ignorant statement you've made - what job do you do ? Let's just assume it's a cushy 9.00 - 5.30 one. Would you be pissed off if your employer suddenly said tell you what, we will now force you to work midday to 8.30 - would you be happy ? No of course you wouldn't and I bet your job doesn't involve you putting your life on the line. Bet the most dangerous thing you do in your job is decide if you want tea or coffee from the vending machine :tosser:

My job is certainly not as cushy as a firemans. And seeing as you are resorting to name calling then - f*** off you twat

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My job is certainly not as cushy as a firemans. And seeing as you are resorting to name calling then - f*** off you twat

I suppose you take your life in your hands every day by walking around with a welter of ignorance twined with a big stupid mouth. Better still take a large banger, light it then shove it up your arse, that way you won't be able to talk out of it any more.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Sorry but what a wanker you are. This has to be the most ignorant post I have ever seen on here. Where would we be if all firefighters took your advice and 'Found another job' ? What about not lighting any fireworks or would that upset you childish little world ?

:tosser::tosser::tosser:

Wish it was the most ignorant post but I have read many of yours

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I suppose you take your life in your hands every day by walking around with a welter of ignorance twined with a big stupid mouth. Better still take a large banger, light it then shove it up your arse, that way you won't be able to talk out of it any more.

Not sure why a 50 something year old man is so interested in my arse

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wish it was the most ignorant post but I have read many of yours

Like what ? Oh dear, it's half term isn't it ? f*** me your parents must be proud of having such a complete twat for a child.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Wow your a bit of a dick ain't you.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I note you don't answer the question though. I'm guessing you're still in education rather than having a job and so can't answer the question - either that or you're too stupid to answer the question.

Given that you're in Littlehamton and there happens to be a FSNBF site there what about I arrange a visit for you to see the seriously injured fire personnel and you can tell them face to face what you think of them - bet you wouldn't be such a big man then eh ?

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I note you don't answer the question though. I'm guessing you're still in education rather than having a job and so can't answer the question - either that or you're too stupid to answer the question.

Given that you're in Littlehamton and there happens to be a FSNBF site there what about I arrange a visit for you to see the seriously injured fire personnel and you can tell them face to face what you think of them - bet you wouldn't be such a big man then eh ?

My opinion about a strike on bonfire night remains the same. As for a visit to meet injured firemen - that sounds like a good idea for perhaps the people involved in the wage negotiations

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Whatever the rights and wrongs being discussed, above, I cannot believe that the firefighters would want to risk injury / death to children on bonfire night by going on strike. The union leaders? Now that's a different story... Maximum impact / maximum publicity would appear to be their only concern.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
My opinion about a strike on bonfire night remains the same. As for a visit to meet injured firemen - that sounds like a good idea for perhaps the people involved in the wage negotiations

You're obviously an MP !!!! Talk about avoiding the question. So if YOUR empoyer forced different working hours on you would you be happy ?

Offer of arranging a visit still stands but clearly you're too much of a coward to take it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here