Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London firefighters to strike on bonfire night

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Firfighters can work if shifts are thought about, 2 days on and then have 4 days off, and have another job in most cases. If its swng righ as well with working bank holidays, then a fireman can be at work less than a hundred days in a year. Why this is never pointed out on telly is a mystery. But most firefighters know its a good screw and it cnt carry on. I find it a scandal that the public sector are only now deciding that it must look at efficiency savings given that non state funded organisations & private companies do it as a matter of course, every month of every year. The managers of the public sector need to answer that question. I do love labour, we are skint, borrowi ng to live and the answer? Sort out the massive inefficient public sector - no they want to borrow more and tax more. Amazing. BTW as for banking hen yes the mortgage gamble was a scandal bt nobody seems to forget that its the city and banking n particular that pays for th public sector and has done for 30 odd years

This is spot on. When they are not putting out fires its snooker and darts, jobs for the boys. Ever tried getting into the fire service?? (its way over subscribed) Going on strike on bonfire night is a complete piss take and is sure to destroy public support, if they don't like it find another job...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Firfighters can work if shifts are thought about, 2 days on and then have 4 days off, and have another job in most cases. If its swng righ as well with working bank holidays, then a fireman can be at work less than a hundred days in a year. Why this is never pointed out on telly is a mystery. But most firefighters know its a good screw and it cnt carry on. I find it a scandal that the public sector are only now deciding that it must look at efficiency savings given that non state funded organisations & private companies do it as a matter of course, every month of every year. The managers of the public sector need to answer that question. I do love labour, we are skint, borrowi ng to live and the answer? Sort out the massive inefficient public sector - no they want to borrow more and tax more. Amazing. BTW as for banking hen yes the mortgage gamble was a scandal bt nobody seems to forget that its the city and banking n particular that pays for th public sector and has done for 30 odd years
Complete rubbish.
The public sector have been finding efficiency savings for years. The City does not pay for the public sector - in fact the public sector has had to take over, pay for and own much of the banking sector to stop it going bust. So much for the City's efficiencies.

Feb 14, 2010
2 days, followed by 2 nights, then 4 days off.
Not 2 days on, then 4 days off.

But carry on ranting. :thumbsup:

:laugh: and you think that is acceptable?To have another job, retire in your 40's/50's and we all have to pay for that. Sorry mate the gravy train is over, there are properly poor people out there and its a scandal what firemen get away with. Tube drivers next and if the firemen and tube drivers dont like it, then fine, get another job and we can employ someone else who will work for the pay being offered.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is spot on. When they are not putting out fires its snooker and darts, jobs for the boys. Ever tried getting into the fire service?? (its way over subscribed) Going on strike on bonfire night is a complete piss take and is sure to destroy public support, if they don't like it find another job...
Real piece of piss innit....
Lewes fireworks factory blast aftermath From The Argus)

See also...

[yt]z-2ZB1CbNJ4[/yt]

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2009-10 stats relating to incidents attended by the fire brigade in England

241,000 fires (includes all types from bin/skip fires to major building fires)
285,000 false alarms :ohmy:
142,500 non fire incidents (road accidents, floods, people trapped etc)

Feb 14, 2010
Complete rubbish.
The public sector have been finding efficiency savings for years. The City does not pay for the public sector - in fact the public sector has had to take over, pay for and own much of the banking sector to stop it going bust. So much for the City's efficiencies.

No mate, the cty paays for the public sector. I agree that the dfailing elements of he banks shold have been allowed to fail. The city is hugely profitable, it ws the mortgage lending that was not, and those banks that were over exposed shpould have gone bust, deposit holders cash secured, and the profitable limb of the banks sold off. The taxpayer should never have bailed them out. But no mate, the public sector thinks everyone else owes them a living. Actually we dont, and that is why public sect workers are always afraid of their jobs being privatised.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I have to agree:thumbsup:
I would run in a burning house to save people,but thats not the point.Its true they spend 95% of their time hanging around playing pool and darts.

Still a very important service though

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:laugh: and you think that is acceptable?To have another job, retire in your 40's/50's and we all have to pay for that. Sorry mate the gravy train is over, there are properly poor people out there and its a scandal what firemen get away with. Tube drivers next and if the firemen and tube drivers dont like it, then fine, get another job and we can employ someone else who will work for the pay being offered.

Do they all retire in their 40s/50s? I would be interested to know the details of the service requirements and retirement scheme.

Feb 14, 2010
Its simple really all this trouble and all we want s a fieman that does a full time job for a full time wage, and that we dont have o pay for hem when they retire in their 40/50s. Just dont care about the poor that is the problem with firemen and tube drivers unions, just themselves

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No mate, the cty paays for the public sector. I agree that the dfailing elements of he banks shold have been allowed to fail. The city is hugely profitable, it ws the mortgage lending that was not, and those banks that were over exposed shpould have gone bust, deposit holders cash secured, and the profitable limb of the banks sold off. The taxpayer should never have bailed them out. But no mate, the public sector thinks everyone else owes them a living. Actually we dont, and that is why public sect workers are always afraid of their jobs being privatised.
I don't think anybody owes me a living.
If the banks had gone bust because of their inefficient lending policies, the depositors cash and any profitable arm should and would have had to pay off the outstanding creditors.
Other than bonuses and ludicrously high salaries that make Mr Rooney look comparatively restrained, exactly what does the City produce?

Feb 14, 2010
Do they all retire in their 40s/50s? I would be interested to know the details of the service requirements and retirement scheme.

yes tey do, can say from 1st hand experience. Retire with a bad back and then keep up the window cleaning or building job with the same bad back is the screw. Abnd you are paying for it, well if you work in the private secto you are anyway

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Its simple really all this trouble and all we want s a fieman that does a full time job for a full time wage, and that we dont have o pay for hem when they retire in their 40/50s. Just dont care about the poor that is the problem with firemen and tube drivers unions, just themselves

You cannot compare the tube and firemen. Do you have any idea why the fireman have chosen to strike? Also learn how to bloody spell its bad enough trying to read your rants but when you can't even bloody spell it just takes the piss

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Could somebody put a spell-check on this thread? It's getting difficult to read.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
yes tey do, can say from 1st hand experience. Retire with a bad back and then keep up the window cleaning or building job with the same bad back is the screw. Abnd you are paying for it, well if you work in the private secto you are anyway

First hand experience? Everyone? I'd like some official information on pensions and the procedure. I am sure I could find it with Google, but you seem to be an expert on the matter.

Feb 14, 2010
I don't think anybody owes me a living.
If the banks had gone bust because of their inefficient lending policies, the depositors cash and any profitable arm should and would have had to pay off the outstanding creditors.
Other than bonuses and ludicrously high salaries that make Mr Rooney look comparatively restrained, exactly what does the City produce?

Mate thats the point of going bust, to write off the debt and do not pay the crediors aka Pompey and Leeds. The profitable limb of the banks are doing very well, it was lending to people who were skint as the problem. The cash that means this country has money to pay for the public sector is what the city produces.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
:facepalm: Can't stop.... got to go and save the country.

Feb 14, 2010
Do you know the whole dispute can be ended by the firemen deciding if they want the terms offered. If they dont, then they can resign, and we can employ someone else.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:laugh: and you think that is acceptable?To have another job, retire in your 40's/50's and we all have to pay for that.

to be fair, and considering your avatar name, you are being a complete cock. 4 on 4 off is quite a normal shift pattern. are you going to have a pop at the police and army who also retire in their 40/50's? dont begrudge them that at all.

but cant see why they cant agree to a change in shift patterns, especially if the change improves cover. i gather the pattern skews towards day shift rather than night, so they cant sleep all night, and im sure some have second jobs on the back of this. but no need to be an arse about it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yes, I bumped into one of those very people last month in Spain lying by the pool. Retired early with a bad back at 48, now doing a bit of building work on the costas. Nice bloke though, pity i'm funding his lifestyle though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here