Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London firefighters to strike on bonfire night

Feb 14, 2010
Errr - how does the current rota system or the new one really affect you or I to allow you to say "for the rest of our sake" ?

You make out that fire personel are doing YOU a dis-service by being able to do two jobs. Strangely, I know plenty of cabbies that hold down two jobs so are they scum of the earth like you suggest firemen are ?

A cabbie my friend is self employed and works his owns hours, and generates his own income firemen do not, they are employees and must comply with the requirements of the managers that decide how to run the service to us who pay for it. Please also read and quote the entire amount of my last post and think on it. Its not an attack but facts to think on

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
It would be nice if this was done without militant selfish unions, but think the employer has given them 5 years so the employer has now to get tough, for the rest of our sake.

Please dont ever assume you know what is best for me.

It would also be nice to know what you do for a living besides opine on what is best for everyone.

Feb 14, 2010
Please dont ever assume you know what is best for me.

It would also be nice to know what you do for a living besides opine on what is best for everyone.

It would be more relevant if a fireman would like to meet a fisherman, agricultural worker or others with a more dangerous job than firemen and who are paid less whilst working longer hours in the private sector without having a top 10 pension scheme, and having the opportunity for a second job because they sleep when at work on the night shift, why firemen believe they should have their support. Again this is not having a go at firemen, its just pointing out that actually they are not on the moral high ground and many poorer people than firemen have simply had enough of their selfish trade unions. Fishermen and other taxpayers should not have to have pay for the current situation and the firemen should understand that or resign instead of shouting "scab" at temporary labour 6hat do want to work for the pay, terms & conditions offered.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Either you have failed to read my post properly, you're so caught up in provng youre point or I havent expained myself properly. Being a patient man, extremely so considering my house is currently being torn apart by builders and my wife has stopped talking to me, I will explain again.

No the dispute is not about pay, but the pay I am referring to is the pay firemen will lose from their wages when they take strike action. You see employers do not pay workers for going on strike. So to take strike action you give up pay, whilst you are on strike. This is not a bad thing in my view, as it acts as an incentive to resolve strikes.

The reason I said the service will be decimated is because at the moment all firemen in london have been given notice of dismissal unless they agree to change their contracts. If they dont do this, in London, there will be no experienced firemen and only scab labour with 2 weeks training, who during the strike on saturday managed to crash two of the 25 fire engines provided to them. As a london resident faced with this prospect, I would suggest this falls into the category of decimation of a service, and something i would prefer not to happen. Maybe you think this will be a better service. I'd just prefer not to be living next door to you when your house burns to the ground because of a decimated fire service.

Finally you are quite correct this is stated from the view point of a trade unionist, I am impressed you managed to work that out, considering I said that you have to understand this from the view of the Union in the first line of my post. I am not impartial, I do see things from a trade union point of view. This is because in the 35 years of working in this country, I have found being a union member serves my interests better than listening to the general winging moaning and doing f all about it by the wonderful british public.

Oh and I think my patience has run out. Blame my wife and the lack of sleep I have had since finishing my shift serving the youth of south london last night trying to teach them there is a better way than street crime, so that the lovely british public who think our jobs shoukld be cut and we should face pay cuts, so we can bail out rich f'ing bankers, dont get their homes robbed.

Ive now just been told the power will be cut off.

You are using "decimated" incorrectly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here