Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London firefighters to strike on bonfire night

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't believe some of the nonsense that I've just read on this thread.
He currently works 2 days of 9 am to 6 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 6 pm to 9 am = 48 hour week. He then has 4 days off.
What they ae trying to do is make them work 2 days of 8 am to 8 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 8 pm to 8 am = 48 hours.
Problem is that, despite a lot of negotiating, they are having these new hours arbitrarily imposed on them whether they like it or not, and that is why they are taking industrial action.
I am very proud of him having joined the fire service relatively recently and some of the rubbish that has been directed at firefighters on this thread is, frankly, both misplaced and disgraceful!

You should be proud and he will have my support.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
You're obviously an MP !!!! Talk about avoiding the question. So if YOUR empoyer forced different working hours on you would you be happy ?

But that's the nature of the beast with this kind of job. Fires, RTAs, etc don't respect office hours. My hours have changed over several years from 5 days of 9-5.30 with occasional evening and weekend O/T to shifts of 5 days of 8-4.30 and 1-9 with occasional weekend O/T to 4 12 hour shifts of 2 days followed by 2 nights then 4 days off. Sick people are still sick outside of core hours and we understood this when we took the job. It was never going to be a 9-5 Monday to Friday career.

The thing I don't understand is the Fire Service isn't being asked to work more OOH, just spreading the shifts more evenly as far as I can see.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
You're obviously an MP !!!! Talk about avoiding the question. So if YOUR empoyer forced different working hours on you would you be happy ?

Offer of arranging a visit still stands but clearly you're too much of a coward to take it up.

sorry didnt realize I was being interviewed - right im self employed - work what ever hours I need to - not a coward but the meeting injured firemen bit is rather irrelevant for a football chat site and wouldnt change the fact that a strike on bonfire night is not the best idea

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
sorry didnt realize I was being interviewed - right im self employed - work what ever hours I need to - not a coward but the meeting injured firemen bit is rather irrelevant for a football chat site and wouldnt change the fact that a strike on bonfire night is not the best idea

Self employed, works the hours he wants to, harder job than a fireman, doesn't want to say what he does though, sounds like a rent boy to me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Self employed, works the hours he wants to, harder job than a fireman, doesn't want to say what he does though, sounds like a rent boy to me.

:lolol:

Probably self employed because nobody would employ him.

Strange how he slags of fireman with the "Boo Hoo" attitiude but when offered the chance meet them says it's irrelevent on a football chat site.

I guess he better hope his business never catches fire.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
you bloody wish!!

Oh dear, work been getting on top of you ? Must be a pain in the arse. Actually I know what it is, he has a fireman fantasy ! Do all uniforms turn you on ? To be honest I don't want to know but I think we now know who and what you are.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:lolol:

Probably self employed because nobody would employ him.

Strange how he slags of fireman with the "Boo Hoo" attitiude but when offered the chance meet them says it's irrelevent on a football chat site.

I guess he better hope his business never catches fire.

I notice old bender boy isn't keen to provide answers, as I asked earlier, just what would he expect to happen if all fire fighters took up another occupation ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
sorry but I wont be able to keep up with you and your 22,891 posts please use your childish outbursts elsewhere

Talking of childish outbursts we appear to have gone full circle !

Oh boo hoo if they have a problem with the hours or money try to resolve it in an adult fashion or get another job. Going on strike on bonfire night is putting peoples lives at risk and the people pay their wages with council tax. Get the army in, as Im sure they would be grateful for a nights rest playing the xbox and drinking tea

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
agreed - now lets all go to bed and make sweet, sweet love - its on the house

You mean you're doing it for free tonight ? Mind you with all this rain I expect trade will be slow. Be careful that you don't sit on any damp stones because the last thing you need are haemorrhoids.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I suppose you take your life in your hands every day by walking around with a welter of ignorance twined with a big stupid mouth. Better still take a large banger, light it then shove it up your arse, that way you won't be able to talk out of it any more.

:lolol::thumbsup:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

You mean you're doing it for free tonight ? Mind you with all this rain I expect trade will be slow. Be careful that you don't sit on any damp stones because the last thing you need are haemorrhoids.

You come across as a 14 yr old on here. A nasty little one at that. Unbelievable that you're a 50 something year old bloke.

Just thought I'd mention it. Do carry on.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Psst ..... you might want to get Bozza to alter your post count - it somewhat backs up some ignorant twats point of view :lolol:

Yes, you're right.
My 2.4 posts per day... sometimes I don't know how I fit it all in. :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He currently works 2 days of 9 am to 6 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 6 pm to 9 am = 48 hour week. He then has 4 days off.
What they ae trying to do is make them work 2 days of 8 am to 8 pm immediately followed by 2 days of 8 pm to 8 am = 48 hours.
Problem is that, despite a lot of negotiating, they are having these new hours arbitrarily imposed on them whether they like it or not, and that is why they are taking industrial action.

thats dangerously close to usful input... the question begged is why is the change to 8-8 so opposed? as far as i can see they dont gain or lose. is it just point of principle?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can't believe some of the nonsense that I've just read on this thread.
I am very proud of him having joined the fire service relatively recently and some of the rubbish that has been directed at firefighters on this thread is, frankly, both misplaced and disgraceful!
do they still get the 4 days off afterwards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here