Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loan rumours

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
A good signing yes, but a pointless one?

not really if he is on the cheap - kuipers isnt getting any younger, and while he has done an adequate job this season he has hardly set the world alight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Baz Savage scenario is based on the fact that now the window is closed clubs are more desperate if they tried unsuccesfully to sign a striker, like we did on many occassions, so would therefore be more inclined to pay over the odds over perhaps a12 month contract thus meaning the yearly wage would be greater. The prime example of this is us, we signed him for 12 months at the end of the deadline.

Paul Furlong is still producing the goods and scoring goals irrespective of age as does Dion Dublin, Teddy Sheringham etc at a higher level. Stanley Matthews played in the top division at 50 years old and continued playing in the Maltese league until 72. If you have the skill and ability and can stay mobile and fit age is no problem. Paul Furlong is faster and more mobile than Gatting but we play him
or put him on the bench. He is also a far better player than Revell but we played him as first choice.

It is my belief that the League of Ireland is generally lower standard than our div 1 because a team wins a couple of games that does not mean that they are infinitely better than those teams in general terms, if so Havant & Waterlooville should be elected to the Championship next season instead of Swansea or alternatively they are better than us because they scored 4 goals away in the cup we couldnt score one there.

I would love us to sign Flinders for £300k because IMO it would be an investment as we would be able to sell him to a top club in about 3 or 4 years time.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
not really if he is on the cheap - kuipers isnt getting any younger, and while he has done an adequate job this season he has hardly set the world alight

even though we have been spending a lot lately, i wouldn't call 300k "on the cheap"

perhaps a loan until the end of the season would do though

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
even though we have been spending a lot lately, i wouldn't call 300k "on the cheap"

perhaps a loan until the end of the season would do though

Agreed re the 300k figure (although that was just speculative)

Waste of wages on the loan move if we're going to have one solid League 1 keeper sat on the bench for 3 months though. Also, it means the defence having the adjust to a new keeper if Flinders was to be number 1, which could be shambolic

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Agreed re the 300k figure (although that was just speculative)
Also, it means the defence having the adjust to a new keeper if Flinders was to be number 1, which could be shambolic

That's why I dont think Wilkins efforts of having a spare for competition is really going to help as much as hurt the way things are going. Sullivan is good enough cover for this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't mock him though, because he did some scouting for another old duffer in 1924 you know, and once upon a time Micky Adams told him Kuipers had to maksimplee saves to keep his place. I, for one, am DELIGHTED to have access to such knowledge:thud:
If you are going to try to mock make sure of your facts. The scouting was for every Brighton manger from Allan Mullery the first time until Coppell came here and he had his own team.

Another little point I turned down a job as a manager for a club who then appointed Peter Taylor, a man you may have heard of, but SJs Monkey would most definitely when he finished playing. The simple answer is dont mock what you dont know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's why I dont think Wilkins efforts of having a spare for competition is really going to help as much as hurt the way things are going. Sullivan is good enough cover for this season.

It must be remembered that Kuipers now has 4 bookings should he get another one in the very near future he will be suspended,I think they are scrubbed later this month, but I am sure that Wilkins will bring in a keeper on loan then as he doesnt appear to have much confidence in Sullivan filling the vacancy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was the one 5 years ago but none the less if you cannot understand a piss take against palace then it is a sad state. I think Loft is too good for Palace but they havent paid £1m for him to play 7games for them and go out on loan

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
It is my belief that the League of Ireland is generally lower standard than our div 1 because a team wins a couple of games that does not mean that they are infinitely better than those teams in general terms, if so Havant & Waterlooville should be elected to the Championship next season instead of Swansea or alternatively they are better than us because they scored 4 goals away in the cup we couldnt score one there.

Except its not a "couple of games", its consistent, across seasons, across competitions.

If Brighton were placed in the eircom Premier it would be very, very difficult to stay out of the 3 relegation spaces this season. Many League 2 teams would have been rather embarrased in the eircom Division One last year, where only the now non-existant Kilkenny, newly elected Wexford and financially destroyed and forcibly relegated Shelbourne were realistically of a poor standard.

You, as always, are basing your opinions on 15+ years ago.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I see Speroni has over valued himself and may not be flavour of the month at Palace for the rest of the season? The club are refusing to negotiate on his contract.

Is Flinders No2 in the pecking order as if so it might mean he is less likely to go out on loan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many Leagie of Ireland players get into their national team, about the same as League of Wales get into theirs.

At one time, and it hasnt changed much, players in the Premiership are searching the records to see if they qualify to play for the Republic of Ireland because it is the easiest way to play at international level because the general standard over there is so poor.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Three, as it happens - Jason Byrne, Glen Crowe and George O'Callaghan have all played recently.

How many English League One players get to play for their national team?

Eh. None.

Thats not a valid determiner of the level of a league. The standard is not poor, you're speaking out of your arse because I can effectively guarantee you've never, ever seen an LoI game.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Blimey! Out of two people's opinions that i NEVER agree with, this time i'm going with CB!

Out of interest, who is BG?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thats not a valid determiner of the level of a league. The standard is not poor, you're speaking out of your arse because I can effectively guarantee you've never, ever seen an LoI game.

How many League 1 games have you seen?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
thats how i see it michel hasn't exactly been in great form just ok

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Three, as it happens - Jason Byrne, Glen Crowe and George O'Callaghan have all played recently.

How many English League One players get to play for their national team?

Eh. None.

BensGrandad is right, the LoI is absolute shite. If it wasn't, they might get some half decent crowds instead of all the Irish soccer fans buggering off to watch Liverpool, Man Utd and Celtic every other week.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
BensGrandad is right, the LoI is absolute shite. If it wasn't, they might get some half decent crowds instead of all the Irish soccer fans buggering off to watch Liverpool, Man Utd and Celtic every other week.

Average in the Premier here is higher than our average at home this season. Have you seen any games here?

Bozza - more than BG has seen LOI games, thats for sure. And unless he has an Irish Sky system he can't even use the "but I've seen them on TV!..." excuse, as the (sizeable) number of televised games are on RTE, TG4 and Setanta Ireland.

Piers - since the last Albion tour here, the league has been taken over by the FAI, theres been some massive investment by them and the title sponsor, its moved to a summer season and theres been a 30 to 50% rise in attendences across the board. The standard has massively, massively improved. Doesn't help those that live in the past, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here