Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in/ go home via central Brighton

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If you want to go to Uni that badly then when you finish College take a couple of years off. Live with your parents and WORK, save up some cash. Might not pay for all of it but it's better than nothing :shrug:

I'm going straight to Uni, i'm in my second year of college so I'm not affected by the raise directly unless I want to defer a year or go on a gap year. There will still be savage cuts to education and I actually believe that the cuts that will be made to my friends and my sister are wrong. The motives for me protesting and preaching are not that i wont be able to go out because i'll have to work to pay 9k a year, but actually because I believe that 9k a year is wrong for anyone even if its not going to be me paying that much.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
ok fair enough, i didnt go to university , but from various work colleagues /relatives etc ho did, i reckon degrees could be reduced to two years , i'm sure that would save money, and also , lets face it there are lots and lots of ' mcdegrees ' that should be a diploma at a technical college rather than studied at university.

Piss off! all i've heard today is mc infront of everything :down:

I'd rather go to a technical college that gave a qualification that was equal to a degree and practical rather than have to go to a Uni because Uni should be for the creame of the crop but thats not the case and therefore Uni should be availble to everyone for both academic, practical academic and vocational courses.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I'd rather go to a technical college that gave a qualification that was equal to a degree and practical rather than have to go to a Uni because Uni should be for the creame of the crop but thats not the case and therefore Uni should be availble to everyone for both academic, practical academic and vocational courses.
I'm not having a dig at whatever you're going to do, but know people who have done degrees in film studies/travel and tourism/leisure centre management, these shouldnt be anywhere near a university, or if they are , then the students are f***ing well entitled to finance the entire cost themselvs, i dont have a problem with what i can gather you are aiming for.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not having a dig at whatever you're going to do, but know people who have done degrees in film studies/travel and tourism/leisure centre management, these shouldnt be anywhere near a university, or if they are , then the students are f***ing well entitled to finance the entire cost themselvs, i dont have a problem with what i can gather you are aiming for.

Not so sure about being near Uni in their current form. They should be taught at a technical college at degree level but if that institution isn't in place then it needs to be taught in the availible institution: uni. i'm sure those degrees are required and needed for jobs. Students can only take subjects aht the instutitions availible.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

All this and you find out today the BBC are scrapping Ready Steady Cook too. Talk about kicking students while they're down eh? :wink:

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
You just can't f***ing resist can you.

Go on, whats your problem with me wanting to get in to the practical side of computing such as programming rather than the theoretical side such as processors and their arcitecture? I think it'll get me very far. Make a f***ing good program, half finished. Sell it on to a big company. REpeat and rince. Thats how youtube did it! It was half finished when it was linked with google for a vast sum of money.

Blah blah. As usual the point goes right over your head as you finish off yet another overly long and badly constructed post. I couldn't give a monkey's what you do with your life and if you want to go to Bornemouth (sic) University then that's your choice. I was merely chuckling at the tautology of this beauty:

I'm hoping to get in to a very practical course at the Bornemouth Uni because its not theoretical but practical.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
All this and you find out today the BBC are scrapping Ready Steady Cook too. Talk about kicking students while they're down eh? :wink:

That show a) is what I planned on living off at Uni so f*** YOU ****ing BBC
and b) on a personal level: I loved that show as a kid so f*** YOU ****ing BCC

I'm organizing a walk out and a smashup churchill square for tomorrow as we speak!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Blah blah. As usual the point goes right over your head as you finish off yet another overly long and badly constructed post. I couldn't give a monkey's what you do with your life and if you want to go to Bornemouth (sic) University then that's your choice. I was merely chuckling at the tautology of this beauty:

Oh. Then yes. That is an awfully constructed sentance :lolol:

I thought you were having a go at the fact I wanted to do practical rather than theoretical (because its practical!)

My bad. :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
f***ing hell. Does anyone have a shovel I can borrow? :fuckmylifesmilie:

:lolol: Sorry :) Good luck with the course by the way :thumbsup:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sussex Police said up to 3,000 students paraded through Brighton city centre as eggs and fireworks were thrown.
Protesters gathered outside Brighton University buildings in Grand Parade and chanted "shame on you" to those inside as 15 people went in.

One Brighton University student, who gave her name only as Charlotte said: "I'm really worried about education. Even though with increased fees, more money will be put in, less money will be spent on the actual teaching and the quality is going to suffer."

hahahahahaha. terrifying.

Sounds like Brighton decided to have its own bonfire / fireworks event just like Lewes after all, I hope they didn't discourage outsiders from attending or Raymond Briggs will be furious :jester:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Sounds like Brighton decided to have its own bonfire / fireworks event just like Lewes after all, I hope they didn't discourage outsiders from attending or Raymond Briggs will be furious :jester:

speak to mr eubank about impromptu brighton fireworks displays. its not something that comes naturally to brighton. we leave that to the lewes real ale beardy wierdies or else it just ends in tears. we do candy floss fish and chips razor slashings and dirty weekends. lets all play to our strengths eh.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I guess many of them,the Schoolkids,were Mourning the loss of the EMA,EMA: how much, and how often? : Directgov - Education and learning
A pityfull sum paid to 6th formers to encourage higher learning,the most direct attack on working class kids the Condem scum could muster,
After all,if you could afford to send your brats to Charterhouse, £30 a week in your kids pocket wouldn't buy them a pair of socks at Jack wills.

This.

Of all the education cuts, this is the worse. EMA is a benefit paid to students from households on low incomes, to assist them to stay in college and study for the future. Without it many families will not be able to afford to keep their kids in education after school leaving age and instead condemn them to a future of low paid and meaningless work, sustaining the vicious cycle of poverty.

The best bit about EMA is its only paid for each day the student turns up on time and studies. if they're late they lose that days EMA. This acts as a clear incentive to study and prepares the young person for the discipline of work.

So many of you condemn benefit claimants as scroungers. This is one benefit that actively incentivises effort and results, and works to move working class young people into meanigful paid work.

I guess thats why Eton Dave is aboloshing it then.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Do we really need a cash sum to encourage people to further/better their education?

I'd much rather the 'cash sum' was put towards a much greater cause.

You may not. Many families have a choice between supporting a child for extra years whilst at college and not earning, or having them go out and earn some money to help out with
household costs. EMA helps reduce the cost of keeping a child in school for families on low incomes.

Please tell me what is a greater cause than investing in the futures of young people who have little to look forwards to.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You may not. Many families have a choice between supporting a child for extra years whilst at college and not earning, or having them go out and earn some money to help out with
household costs. EMA helps reduce the cost of keeping a child in school for families on low incomes.

Please tell me what is a greater cause than investing in the futures of young people who have little to look forwards to.

Families used to cope. How much of the EMA is spent wisely and towards further education? School children are generally cash rich as it is.

sammy g

Having arrived at the bus stop at the bottom of Coldean lane to find it full of disgruntled commuters and a couple of sheepish students at about half-five, it was fairly ironic to see many half-full 25's and 23's zoom past whilst all other buses that serve the non-student parts of Brighton were trapped amongst the ranks of the nothing to do in town!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Families used to cope.

They didn't though. My parents were both pretty bright and went to grammar schools but my mum left school at 14 and my dad left at 15, my grandparents just couldn't afford to keep them on so they went out to work. My dad, in particular, was fantastically well-read and articulate but never had a chance to develop further. How many bright, working class kids were there, brimming with learning and itching to make a name for themselves until "chill penury repress'd their noble rage and froze the genial current of the soul" as Gray had it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here