Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in/ go home via central Brighton

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Judging by the lack of noise on the video, I'm not surprised that they haven't got any money.

I couldn't hear any carols at all. And where was the Salvation Army band?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apart from that fact that most of the protesters are current university students, and therefore won't be affected by the rise in tuition fees.

:facepalm: I keep hearing this bollocks. Is altruism dead? Are we not supposed to care about future generations? And people call te students self centred in the same breath.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not so sure about being near Uni in their current form. They should be taught at a technical college at degree level but if that institution isn't in place then it needs to be taught in the availible institution: uni. i'm sure those degrees are required and needed for jobs. Students can only take subjects aht the instutitions availible.

A technical college at degree level, this is what the polytechnics used to do...and did very well. I'd switch back to this if I was in charge. Going back to the common comment about media studies. I always find it odd that people complain about this as media is one of the biggest growth industries of the past couple of decades. I do not subscribe to the anti-intellectualist correlation of degrees for jobs but if you want and example of clear degree relevance to the job market place then I'd say a media based degree is spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to have to raise student fees to cover the cost of the damage they made.

I imagine they probably improved the Poundland shopping experience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh. Then yes. That is an awfully constructed sentance :lolol:

I thought you were having a go at the fact I wanted to do practical rather than theoretical (because its practical!)

My bad. :facepalm:

I'd suggest that learning the theoretical side of computing helps with the practical side. Assembly language for example is defined by the computer's architecture. You'll also need a good grasp of theoretical mathematics as well. Out of interest what languages will/do you want to learn?

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with your studies and keep up the protest/pressure.....computing is the new rock and roll you know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the police knew, why did they not pass this on to local business who were affected

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
caused by "pants on fire" Nick Clegg and dodgy Dave Shameron
and if they did not go out and clown around who would even know they cared about their education

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'd suggest that learning the theoretical side of computing helps with the practical side. Assembly language for example is defined by the computer's architecture. You'll also need a good grasp of theoretical mathematics as well. Out of interest what languages will/do you want to learn?

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with your studies and keep up the protest/pressure.....computing is the new rock and roll you know.

Oh i'm not looking for a purely practical computing course but one that has a much more hands on approach rather than bookish. The course was advertised as needing a C grade maths at GCSE and nothing more which is great because thats what I have! I can't do maths outside of a computing invironment and even then its a struggle but one i'm willing to go through. I've been taught basic Pascal, i'm learning Delphi during this college year and will move to Java if I get into BU.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
caused by "pants on fire" Nick Clegg and dodgy Dave Shameronand if they did not go out and clown around who would even know they cared about their education

So they were responsible for all of the over spending by previous Governments, that pretty amazing for someone in power for just a few months.

BTW - where were all the protesters during Labour's years of irresponsible overspending that created most of the problems this country faces now and has forced these cuts in public spending to be made ? or were they just happy to benefit from their unsustainable policies and gave no thought for the consequences?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are those erks still on the streets or have they gone back to their shitty dirty hovels for a pot noodle and some drugs :wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
caused by "pants on fire" Nick Clegg and dodgy Dave Shameron
and if they did not go out and clown around who would even know they cared about their education

Somewhat ignores the fact they are implementing recommendations from a report commissioned by the Labour government. Would the students have revolted so much if Labour had been in power and implemented the changes ? I didn't anything like this when Labour introduced the fees in the first place.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Are those erks still on the streets or have they gone back to their shitty dirty hovels for a pot noodle and some drugs :wink:

We're home, the noodles are getting me high and the drugs are talking to me... i think.

NOTE: Next Tuesday or Saturday there WILL be another protest. We're in the process of deciding which and/or both. I've got no idea who or what is being organized but the buzz around college today was "are you going tuesday". Just a heads up like.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Families used to cope. How much of the EMA is spent wisely and towards further education? School children are generally cash rich as it is.

EMA is a cheap alternative to JSA , it encourages school leavers to go to college for a couple of years before they find out there are no jobs for them.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
EMA is a cheap alternative to JSA , it encourages school leavers to go to college for a couple of years before they find out there are no jobs for them.

Nailed on.
EMA gives an incentive to working class kids to stay out of a crowded job market untill they have at least done 6th form,Tarquin and Tabatha will be off on a gap year to build latrines for Andean Chinchillas before a guaranteed degree at Porterhouse and a research job in westminster.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Isn't that where you get £30 per week for doing something that 'benefits' you, and something you chose to do :laugh: ? And then when you have an attendance of over 90% you get a 'Christmas Bonus' of about £100 :sick:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
NOTE: Next Tuesday or Saturday there WILL be another protest. We're in the process of deciding which and/or both. I've got no idea who or what is being organized but the buzz around college today was "are you going tuesday". Just a heads up like.

Tuesday is what the police have been advised by organisers I believe.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Isn't that where you get £30 per week for doing something that 'benefits' you, and something you chose to do :laugh: ? And then when you have an attendance of over 90% you get a 'Christmas Bonus' of about £100 :sick:

Anyone stupid enough to support Spurts would probably regard £30 as a joke but for many working class families that "joke" is a cash incentive large enough to allow kids to stay on at school,If the alternative is a minimum wage job @ 16 years old £3.5647 per hour or the apprentice rate of £2.50. How much could a parent take as housekeeping from a pittance like that?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
You've managed to bring my football team into this? Fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here