Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in/ go home via central Brighton

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Do you even know what you're protesting for?

Yes? Generally the planned cuts to Education both at schools, at colleges and Uni's which includes the plans to raise the tution fees to make up for the cuts from centeral government to Uni's. Its a campaign called Fund Our Futures of which there are protests that go wider than education and extend to cuts generally, protests for specific cuts such as the Demo-Lition 2010 march in london the other week and these types of marches that appeal to a broader audience while applying mostly to Education cuts in general.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Yes? Generally the planned cuts to Education both at schools, at colleges and Uni's which includes the plans to raise the tution fees to make up for the cuts from centeral government to Uni's. Its a campaign called Fund Our Futures of which there are protests that go wider than education and extend to cuts generally, protests for specific cuts such as the Demo-Lition 2010 march in london the other week and these types of marches that appeal to a broader audience while applying mostly to Education cuts in general.

OK.

So, how would you pay for the increase in Univercity attendance while trying to avoid cuts in Education as a whole while continuing to raise standards? On your further point how would you sort out the £14,000,000,000 debt we have?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"There's no overtime bonanza these days I can tell you that. "
Quoted by Edna Slag Apple

As in the 1980s when the Police used to chant that Arthur Scargill payed off their morgages due to the excessive overtime paid to the Police during a Political Dispute.

Simple Simon ! :tosser:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The whole miners' strike thing is way before my time, at least from a work point of view if not in life generally, and while I'm obviously aware that particular period generates very strong emotions, I don't know nearly enough about it to offer a considered opinion.

But I do know it's irrelevant to today. I have to get authorisation from upon high if I so much as go more than half an hour over my allotted shift time, and frankly they make it such a hassle, I and plenty of other officers don't even bother claiming if it's for the odd hour, because it's just not worth having to go through all the admin and you just accept that often you'll be late. The current climate makes it even tighter, and in some respects the public are probably seeing that to a certain extent because rather than sending an officer nearing the end of his or her shift to a (non-emergency of course) job and risk them getting stuck with something beyond their hours, they'd rather leave it and wait another hour or two until the next shift comes on so it doesn't take anything additional out of the budget.

It's not a moan, it's the same across the public sector, that's the way things are. I, like the rest of us fortunate enough at the moment to still have a job, am grateful for that, even if it does apparently make me a "slag" :shrug:

Oh, and thanks, Bushy :kiss: :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But the protest was pretty much at an end. Most people had gone home. I doubt any more were going to turn up. A proportional number of plod should have clocked-off to save us tax payers a few quid.

So finish it off by outnumbering them. Ensure that the public are not inconvenienced any further and go home. It is not a one in one out type procedure.

Oh we are down to two hundred students now. You get off and see your good lady wife. You guys stay. Jon... Go and get yourself a bath.

"There's no overtime bonanza these days I can tell you that. "
Quoted by Edna Slag Apple

As in the 1980s when the Police used to chant that Arthur Scargill payed off their morgages due to the excessive overtime paid to the Police during a Political Dispute.

Christ. You are absolutely obsessed with the 80s. I think you secretly wanted to bed Thatcher, but she turned you down.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
OK.

So, how would you pay for the increase in Univercity attendance while trying to avoid cuts in Education as a whole while continuing to raise standards? On your further point how would you sort out the £14,000,000,000 debt we have?

Tridant (something I didn't think we should scrap however i'd rather we scrapped nuclear warheads and put a message about about nuclear warfare being humanely wrong rather than cut frontline services) and Iraq would be places to start.

*aimts at foot*
I'm not an MP. I do not have the figures.
*shoots self in foot*

However i'm slightly less f*** the fees than some other students, I do think a raise is necessery by all means, everone will have to tighten belts and if it means one less night out a week/month then fine. My main issue (after several weeks of thought) is the rate in which the fees can increase from 3k a year to 9k a year. I think that is too large a hike on a population that mostly did not have a say in Labours third election. We've not caused this mess. Bankers have. Tax the bankers, Iraq, Tridant scrapping are good places to start. We'll have to take a raise and 4k a year fees would be a raise that is fair yet progressive.

I'd also cut Uni places on a promise that institutions that provide technical knowledge in areas we need experts/technical knowledge such as Computing and vocational courses which result in a qualification that is equal to a degree in the way of technical skills taught, funded like a degree but isn't taught at University but differs from a degree in the focus of study with degrees being research based which requires higher intellect and these post 18 institutions providing a very skills based education (using computing as an example: Uni's teach theoretical computing and couple it with maths, and FE instutions provide workplace skills such as system admin courses, programming courses etc). I'm hoping to get in to a very practical course at the Bornemouth Uni because its not theoretical but practical.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Do you even know what you're protesting for?

I guess many of them,the Schoolkids,were Mourning the loss of the EMA,EMA: how much, and how often? : Directgov - Education and learning
A pityfull sum paid to 6th formers to encourage higher learning,the most direct attack on working class kids the Condem scum could muster,
After all,if you could afford to send your brats to Charterhouse, £30 a week in your kids pocket wouldn't buy them a pair of socks at Jack wills.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Now Now!! remember how much backtracking you had to do last time you came on here all tired and emotional after a protest :lolol:

I'm so young, I cannot remember I don't know how to fly :wink:

I like politics. I said I woudlnt' get involved. I've gone and bloody well gotten involved! :facepalm: i'm bored of hearing that we should just put up with shit though. I am genuinely angry at those who are telling us to do one, we should put up with it because we've not worked. What a load of shit, sorry you're willing to put up with savage and unfair cuts but we're not!

When I say you, i mean you as a group who say "pipe down deal with it" not you as in YOU Bushy :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Tridant (something I didn't think we should scrap however i'd rather we scrapped nuclear warheads and put a message about about nuclear warfare being humanely wrong rather than cut frontline services) and Iraq would be places to start.

*aimts at foot*
I'm not an MP. I do not have the figures.
*shoots self in foot*

However i'm slightly less f*** the fees than some other students, I do think a raise is necessery by all means, everone will have to tighten belts and if it means one less night out a week/month then fine. My main issue (after several weeks of thought) is the rate in which the fees can increase from 3k a year to 9k a year. I think that is too large a hike on a population that mostly did not have a say in Labours third election. We've not caused this mess. Bankers have. Tax the bankers, Iraq, Tridant scrapping are good places to start. We'll have to take a raise and 4k a year fees would be a raise that is fair yet progressive.

I'd also cut Uni places on a promise that institutions that provide technical knowledge in areas we need experts/technical knowledge such as Computing and vocational courses which result in a qualification that is equal to a degree in the way of technical skills taught, funded like a degree but isn't taught at University but differs from a degree in the focus of study with degrees being research based which requires higher intellect and these post 18 institutions providing a very skills based education (using computing as an example: Uni's teach theoretical computing and couple it with maths, and FE instutions provide workplace skills such as system admin courses, programming courses etc). I'm hoping to get in to a very practical course at the Bornemouth Uni because its not theoretical but practical.
this is a good post, and the only stand out point i dont agree with is trident,one point i would like to make though, you, and fellow students should try to be a little less strident and hectoring in your tone when announcing ' we didnt cause this mess ', what you must also realise is that you're also not paying for pretty much anything either, whilst the majority of people you're preaching to , are

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I guess many of them,the Schoolkids,were Mourning the loss of the EMA,EMA: how much, and how often? : Directgov - Education and learning
A pityfull sum paid to 6th formers to encourage higher learning,the most direct attack on working class kids the Condem scum could muster,
After all,if you could afford to send your brats to Charterhouse, £30 a week in your kids pocket wouldn't buy them a pair of socks at Jack wills.

And a sum that should never have been paid. Sixth form has never been something that has put off people because of the cost as it's free - they may have been put off by the hard work though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OK.

The thing is, more people voted for Labour and the Libs than they did for the Tories. Both Labour and Lib Dems promised not to raise tuition fees. There is no mandate for it, and Cameron is running rough-shod over the wishes of the country. I think the students have every right to kick off and protest.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
With thinking like that, I'm sure you'll go a long way.

You just can't f***ing resist can you.

Go on, whats your problem with me wanting to get in to the practical side of computing such as programming rather than the theoretical side such as processors and their arcitecture? I think it'll get me very far. Make a f***ing good program, half finished. Sell it on to a big company. REpeat and rince. Thats how youtube did it! It was half finished when it was linked with google for a vast sum of money.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
this is a good post, and the only stand out point i dont agree with is trident,one point i would like to make though, you, and fellow students should try to be a little less strident and hectoring in your tone when announcing ' we didnt cause this mess ', what you must also realise is that you're also not paying for pretty much anything either, whilst the majority of people you're preaching to , are

Fair point about who is paying and who isn't but there is no doubting the 300% hike is because of a debt we didn't cause. I can take a raise. But it has to be progressive and fair. 3k to 9k isn't fair. I know we need to pull our weight and do our bit etc etc but theres only so much you can put on any one section of society before it becomes a bit of a joke and 9k a year is more than a bit of a joke! I'd be angry at 6k, 5k is a bit hars, but adding a grand a year would be the most i think many students would have accepted without this fuss we're causing.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
If you want to go to Uni that badly then when you finish College take a couple of years off. Live with your parents and WORK, save up some cash. Might not pay for all of it but it's better than nothing :shrug:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fair point about who is paying and who isn't but there is no doubting the 300% hike is because of a debt we didn't cause. I can take a raise. But it has to be progressive and fair. 3k to 9k isn't fair. I know we need to pull our weight and do our bit etc etc but theres only so much you can put on any one section of society before it becomes a bit of a joke and 9k a year is more than a bit of a joke! I'd be angry at 6k, 5k is a bit hars, but adding a grand a year would be the most i think many students would have accepted without this fuss we're causing.
ok fair enough, i didnt go to university , but from various work colleagues /relatives etc ho did, i reckon degrees could be reduced to two years , i'm sure that would save money, and also , lets face it there are lots and lots of ' mcdegrees ' that should be a diploma at a technical college rather than studied at university.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here