Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in/ go home via central Brighton

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The reduced policing budget will be used up by people protesting about the reduced education budget.

Irony, of sorts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine it would be like pissing in the wind to guess how many students would turn up to demonstrate. Being a town (it is not a city) with 33,000 University students and countless school/college students, I guess it is wise to run the risk of 'over catering'.

Sign them all off when the crowds disperse home.

Look what happened in London when the police were heavily outnumbered.

But the protest was pretty much at an end. Most people had gone home. I doubt any more were going to turn up. A proportional number of plod should have clocked-off to save us tax payers a few quid.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I was there. A distinct lack of "storming" was occurring. I do have some video evidence which will be available shortly but I warn you, anyone expecting scenes worthy of the Battleship Potemkin will be seriously disappointed.

Despite being in the middle of all this alleged "rioting" I managed to miss the occupation of our office.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brilliant, Superintendent Tubthumper.

Can we borrow your crystal ball next time so we know exactly how many people are coming? For what it's worth, there were significantly more protesters than police at the point where I was watching, but the students were breaking off into splinter groups all over town. You don't just wait round for a few of them to disperse then all board the fun bus home. And besides, I can assure you that the powers that be in Sussex will be standing officers down the second they legitimately can: they will be absolutely crapping themselves about overtime because there is so little in the budget for it. The officers who decide if overtime is paid are all of ranks which don't get paid it anyway, so it's in their interests to get rid of the PCs as soon as possible. Times are hard, old chap, and it's no different in the police. There's no overtime bonanza these days I can tell you that.

What I witnessed was the end of the protest. Unless the police officer I was speaking to was lying. So no need for a crystal ball, as they knew how many had turned up, knew how many had departed and curtainly knew how many were left. Were the police expecting a huge influx of protesters at the last minute? I doubt it.

And as for who decided the numbers, your answer does not suggest much independence to me.

I'm sorry but tonight just looked over the top.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Vodafone and McDonalds I sort of understand are anti-capitlist targets etc but Poundland?? really.

I walked past and there was Toffifee's all over the place, now I am not a fan of these toffee based treats but I have never had the urge to chuck them all over the shop!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Vodafone and McDonalds I sort of understand are anti-capitlist targets etc but Poundland?? really.

I walked past and there was Toffifee's all over the place, now I am not a fan of these toffee based treats but I have never had the urge to chuck them all over the shop!

But Poundland is pretty shit. Sells utter crap. Could do with a good trashing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
These student just dont f***ing get it do they.

If we are going to get 50% of the population into uni, someone is going to have to pay for it.

Quite right it comes out of their hefty pay packets, when they can afoord it.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"There's no overtime bonanza these days I can tell you that. "
Quoted by Edna Slag Apple

As in the 1980s when the Police used to chant that Arthur Scargill payed off their morgages due to the excessive overtime paid to the Police during a Political Dispute.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

As in the 1980s when the Police used to chant that Arthur Scargill payed off their morgages due to the excessive overtime paid to the Police during a Political Dispute.

Yes. The 1980s. That decade which commenced thirty years ago.

Oh, and the personal abuse was a little uncalled for, don't you think?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I think you'll find that was one particular force, avon and somerset, who had t-shirts printed with the logo ASPOM, officially it stood for avon and somerset police operation miner, or unofficially arthur scargill paid our mortgages, do try to move on old chap.

PS why the personal abuse ?? i have crossed swords with edna on numerous occasions but she's always struck me as a decent individual, you however , come across as one of life's failures , embittered by your lack of success in life, reduced to hurling abuse on an internet forum from your laptop in a dimly lit bedsit .

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Blah Blah f***ing BLAH! Make them do a days work, etc, etc. f*** OFF! Not really in the mood to piss about on here getting all political. Sorry you didn't go through Uni, you grew up when there was industry or what ever but we dont have the luxury of earning a living via industry straight after school or A-levels anymore, not for the masses. Not our fault. This debt isn't our fault either. Sorry, id usually enjoy the debate and mudslinging that comes with this kind of thread but today that is all i'm saying on the issue.

However the police: I was in town with the girlfriend, walking about window shopping. Police actually were really really good IMO. Apparnatly tasers, CS and the paras were called :shrug: Given there were 2 arrests, one 15 year old for breach of the peace and the other... a 41 year old for assulting a police officer, neither the students nor the police have done anything wrong. A well policed (yes there were lots of officers for the numbers but last time there was the other way around and shit went down) peaceful protest on the whole from what i've read. Gutted I missed it but Rev's son was there and assures me it was good!

Well played the police, and well played students. There were some knobs there who I saw and knew doing knobbish things but any large gathering (such as... what is this forum for... oh yeah football fans!) is going to have its knobs who you don't want representing the views of the majority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here