Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giggs and Bellamy not singing GSTQ

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Because you don't agree with the sentiment of the anthem ? A persons nationality is about more than the (unelected) head of state.
You may be right, but I doubt it, I get the impression that bellamy at least would have an issue with singing any anthem that was British rather than welsh, he's just too thick to realise that this really should preclude him fro playing for team GB .

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This.

[MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION], the first verse of the anthem fawns at an unelected head of state and completely ignores the important bit - the country itself. Anyone who believes the Royal family have no business being head of state in this day and age is CLEARLY going to find the anthem distasteful.

Do you REALLY think this is behind rocket scientist bellamy's decision ?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You may be right, but I doubt it, I get the impression that bellamy at least would have an issue with singing any anthem that was British rather than welsh, he's just too thick to realise that this really should preclude him fro playing for team GB .

He actually isn't thick, he just can't control his gob on the pitch (but even that is changing).

Because you don't agree with the sentiment of the anthem ? A persons nationality is about more than the (unelected) head of state.

I don't know what these two fellas think of course, BUT IF it was the case that they feel somehow compromised as Welshmen by singing the national anthem of Great Britain, then I cannot see how they can play for team GB either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Apparently Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent didn't sing the anthem.
Article by Tim Foster
"Then came the ceremony. I was belting out the anthem, but all the others didn't even know the words. You would have thought given all their previous success – Steve's four golds and Matthew's two – that they would have known it by now."

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't know what these two fellas think of course, BUT IF it was the case that they feel somehow compromised as Welshmen by singing the national anthem of Great Britain, then I cannot see how they can play for team GB either.

Because we are a broad church and a person is allowed to be his own man.

This.

[MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION], the first verse of the anthem fawns at an unelected head of state and completely ignores the important bit - the country itself. Anyone who believes the Royal family have no business being head of state in this day and age is CLEARLY going to find the anthem distasteful.

I don't disagree, it's just that you KNOW someone like Bellamy doesn't sing it because he is Welsh. End of. And if that is the case then he shouldn't represent the Union.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

In many people's minds - including many English football supporters - it is an English anthem. If we had a uniquely British one - who knows how he would react.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do you REALLY think this is behind rocket scientist bellamy's decision ?
I have no idea. And nor have you.

The point is, there ARE reasons why not singing the national anthem is a perfectly valid thing to do.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have no idea. And nor have you.

The point is, there ARE reasons why not singing the national anthem is a perfectly valid thing to do.
Yes I do, thats the whole point of my post questioning whether you believed that bellamy's reason for not singing it was his disaproval of the mopnarcha s head of state, he's too thick to have an opinion on that, as another poster has said , you KNOW the reason he wont sing it is due to his being welsh.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes I do, thats the whole point of my post questioning whether you believed that bellamy's reason for not singing it was his disaproval of the mopnarcha s head of state, he's too thick to have an opinion on that, as another poster has said , you KNOW the reason he wont sing it is due to his being welsh.

Were you selected for Team GB (what a crap name that is) - would you sing what you perceive to be a Welsh anthem ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, you don't KNOW at all. You are guessing.

You may be right of course, but if it is true then it only goes to show that GstQ is synonymous with England in his eyes. It would be wrong, but if he thinks that then I doubt he's alone. Maybe it's time that England got its own national anthem to distinguish us from the rest of the UK. I think that is what I would conclude, rather than insist no-one who won't sing GstQ should be considered to play for the country - we don't live in a military junta.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Then you shouldnt represent the nation then, not that you're likely to be asked , I dont agree with or like the song , but until someone changes it its our anthem, where would it stop , " I dont agree with this so i'm not going to do that " , It just shows a lack of respect imo, anyway I think the UK will break up sooner rather than later, the sooner the better for me.

And if you was picking the team we would win f*** all, ohhh except the best signing of the national anthem award, perhaps we should have Simon Cowell as the manager.
Surely its about the performance in your sport rather than the singing of the Anthem.

Last edited:

Maybe it's time that England got its own national anthem to distinguish us from the rest of the UK. I think that is what I would conclude, rather than insist no-one who won't sing GstQ should be considered to play for the country - we don't live in a military junta.

Team GB (yes, it's a SHIT name) would still line up to GstQ though so it wouldn't change this (non)situation. The history would still be there even if the English football team lined up to World in Motion or whatever.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Were you selected for Team GB (what a crap name that is) - would you sing what you perceive to be a Welsh anthem ?
No I wouldnt , but this is purely a hypothetical question and easily answered because they wouldnt select a welsh anthem for a british team , the same as they havent selected an english anthem for a british team, they know full well its the british anthem, its an "i'm welsh not british" statement from them , fair play if thats the way they feel , i feel exactly the same , but as in an "i'm english not british", and before you ask, i dont particularly get excited at the scots and welsh in the team winning things.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And if you was picking the team we would win f*** all, ohhh except the best signing of the national anthem award, perhaps we should have Simon Cowell as the manager.
Surely its about the performance in your sport rather than the singing of the Anthem.
Do you expect me to take this post seriously? You cant even spell singing correctly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here