Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giggs and Bellamy not singing GSTQ

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Yes, I know they do, however this time they were representing Great Britain, not wales, and GSTQ is the national anthem of Great Britain.

Then why do the English sing It? Genuine question

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. I've noticed that the bulk of Olympic medal winners don't sing the national anthem once they've just received their gong. I don't see too many complaints about them.

2. What minimal interest I had in the GB football team evaporated when Pearce left out Beckham from the squad.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You hardly ever see people singing the national anthem at medal ceremonies, why do they have to sing it before a football match?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is the British national anthem insofar as it is the unifying anthem of the UK. If you have pride in representing GB then sing it (or at very worst mime it). Perhaps it should be for the manager and the captain to ensure that players show some respect for the UNITED KINGDOM they represent ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
2. What minimal interest I had in the GB football team evaporated when Pearce left out Beckham from the squad.
This seems an odd viewpoint to me. Sebastian Coe did an awful lot for the London Olympics too, but he too has been overlooked for his preferred event and won't be running in the 800m. :(

But I have to say that the football at the Olympics is probably the sport I am least interested in. I just don't think there is any place for it at the games at all.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This seems an odd viewpoint to me. Sebastian Coe did an awful lot for the London Olympics too, but he too has been overlooked for his preferred event and won't be running in the 800m. :(

But I have to say that the football at the Olympics is probably the sport I am least interested in. I just don't think there is any place for it at the games at all.

I agree. What I will say though is that my interest level went UP when the one man circus was left out. Shame it didn't happen in WC 2006.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You hardly ever see people singing the national anthem at medal ceremonies, why do they have to sing it before a football match?

The Italians all sang their National Anthem during Euro 2012, and sang it with enthusiasm-probably because they wanted to, rather than had to. Having a decent anthem helps and gstq is as crap as
anthems get, no wonder most don't join in.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a total waste of time. This is exactly why football shouldn't be within a million miles of the Olympics, this kind of over-hyped non-story. We have to put up with it for nine months of the year, but the athletes shouldn't have to in their big event.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good plan. Only watch players who have confirmed they know the words and are prepared to sing.

Brilliant.
What are you on about you berk, I said that you shouldn't represent the nation if you're not prepared to show the respect of singing the national anthem of the country you are representing, and you're talking about not "watching " players ?

I class myself as a staunch Monarchist and am fiercely patriotic to my country, I would be belting it out. Not everybody holds the same views as myself regarding the Monarchy however but are just as patriotic to our country, I would not expect them to sing about an Institution they do not believe in and would ask to keep a respectful silence during the anthem.

If however they booed the thing I would kick their f***ing heads in.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What are you on about you berk, I said that you shouldn't represent the nation if you're not prepared to show the respect of singing the national anthem of the country you are representing, and you're talking about not "watching " players ?

I'd sing the anthem if it was about the nation. The royals are the last people I want god to save so they can reign happily and gloriously over me. I won't be singing it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How can they? They are not even a real nation. They are a principality, ruled by England.
No they're not and they haven't been a principality for about 600 years. I find it incredible the number of thickies who don't even know the consitutional make up of the UK.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Why is it odd? I'm picky about my sport, I don't think football should be there in the first place but if it is then I'd rather watch players with talent who give a shit and who might actually do something skilful. I think we had one and we left him out. And anyway, Beckham is still playing professional football so I don't see your point about Coe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here