Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giggs and Bellamy not singing GSTQ

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
if your not prepared to sing the national anthem you should have the courage of your convictions and not be prepared to play in the national team IMHO

because your'e exercising your right to freedom of speech? That seems a little bit backwards IMHO.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
When did all this enforced patriotism stuff start? It's like the St George's day BORE fest. We never gave two hoots about it before, now every year you get some (usually pretty shouty) people DEMANDING to know why we don't celebrate it.

It's like being made to have a birthday party for yourself when you just fancy a nice meal or film.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I refuse to stand in my annual works awayday when the chief executive walks in the room to a round of applause and parades to the front of the hall with an egotist's smirk. And nor would i extend that same bumsuckery to a system i disapprove of and its figurehead who represents riches that mildly sicken me inside in relation to images i sometimes pass of the strugglers of our society. I say fair play to Giggs and Bellamy. No point pretending to be something you're not for a moment simply to please. If you thoroughly disapprove of something and feel completely alien to its message, then don't holler its anthem, i say.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed, I have more of an issue with singing about God than the Queen. I respectfully don't sing hymns on the few occasions I have to go to church, it just feels hypocritical to do so.
I'd say it's just as hypocrytical to go into the church if you feel that strongly.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
if your not prepared to sing the national anthem you should have the courage of your convictions and not be prepared to play in the national team IMHO

It makes even less sense since you changed it... courage of what convictions?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm fairly sure the lick spittles in the monarchist popular press and in their person PR machine otherwise known as the BBC will work ever so hard to airbrush his interfering abuses of power and general buffoonery out of history, on the promises of knighthoods. And sadly, it won't take long.
I dont think the monarchy will survive if he inherits the throne, I'm not particularly bothered either way , although i think it became redundant as soon as the royal family were revealed to just as human as the rest of us, either way, it wont survive with charles as king , and especially not with that f***ing hound camilla as queen.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
When did all this enforced patriotism stuff start? It's like the St George's day BORE fest. We never gave two hoots about it before, now every year you get some (usually pretty shouty) people DEMANDING to know why we don't celebrate it.

It's like being made to have a birthday party for yourself when you just fancy a nice meal or film.

I have to say I like that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Beckham is a decent player and is still probably the best England free kick taker in the game. But he plays at a level akin to the Championship these days, and that simply isn't enough for those looking in charge and looking for a medal.

What, and Marvin Sordell of Championship club Bolton Wanderers is going to do better? Do me a favour.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What, and Marvin Sordell of Championship club Bolton Wanderers is going to do better? Do me a favour.
Marvin Sordell is a striker. He is a better striker than David Beckham, by virtue of the fact that he is any kind of striker. Also, he is not an overage player. So I don't see what he's got to do with David Beckham really.

Pearce is an idiot but his idea to pick the best squad available is the correct one.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
It makes even less sense since you changed it... courage of what convictions?

if it is your conviction that as a welshman you shouldent sing the GB anthem you should use the same conviction and not play for the GB team its not rocket science

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm sure I'm missing something but why does it matter? I do genuinely find it puzzling that it's even necessary to have a national anthem, let alone be chastised for choosing not to sing it...even more so when you consider that it's quite possible that many people will sing along with no consideration to the actual content.

Surely that's the equivalent (maybe it's worse?) of keeping mouth shut throughout?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
if it is your conviction that as a welshman you shouldent sing the GB anthem you should use the same conviction and not play for the GB team its not rocket science

No, still doesn't make sense. You can have national pride without singing GSTQ.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I thought this was a football match, not The Voice. Who gives a shit? I like Bellamy a lot, maybe he didn't feel like it or doesn't like singing? Thread about nothing.

Pearce is an idiot but his idea to pick the best squad available is the correct one.

Agree with the sentiment, but what would be more inspiring and unifying to a squad of inexperienced kids, playing with David Beckham... or Micah Richards? Given the nature of this competition and this squad, DB would have had a much more positive effect.

As for the national anthem debate, I don't understand how you can find the national anthem in some way offence to your sense of nationality and yet still agree to play for Team GB.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As for the national anthem debate, I don't understand how you can find the national anthem in some way offence to your sense of nationality and yet still agree to play for Team GB.

Because you don't agree with the sentiment of the anthem ? A persons nationality is about more than the (unelected) head of state.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because you don't agree with the sentiment of the anthem ? A persons nationality is about more than the (unelected) head of state.
This.

[MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION], the first verse of the anthem fawns at an unelected head of state and completely ignores the important bit - the country itself. Anyone who believes the Royal family have no business being head of state in this day and age is CLEARLY going to find the anthem distasteful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here