Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giggs and Bellamy not singing GSTQ

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I class myself as a staunch Monarchist and am fiercely patriotic to my country, I would be belting it out. Not everybody holds the same views as myself regarding the Monarchy however but are just as patriotic to our country, I would not expect them to sing about an Institution they do not believe in and would ask to keep a respectful silence during the anthem.

If however they booed the thing I would kick their f***ing heads in.
This, to me, is a fair assessment of the situation. A respectful silence from me because I recognise that I am a minority of my countrymen in being a republican. Fair play to those who do sing it though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why is it odd? I'm picky about my sport, I don't think football should be there in the first place but if it is then I'd rather watch players with talent who give a shit and who might actually do something skilful. I think we had one and we left him out. And anyway, Beckham is still playing professional football so I don't see your point about Coe.
Beckham is a decent player and is still probably the best England free kick taker in the game. But he plays at a level akin to the Championship these days, and that simply isn't enough for those looking in charge and looking for a medal.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not everybody holds the same views as myself regarding the Monarchy however but are just as patriotic to our country, I would not expect them to sing about an Institution they do not believe in and would ask to keep a respectful silence during the anthem.

A lot of us also don't believe in the God bit.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What are you on about you berk, I said that you shouldn't represent the nation if you're not prepared to show the respect of singing the national anthem of the country you are representing, and you're talking about not "watching " players ?

There would be no point thinking about including Rooney in a squad for example if he has not prepared to sing. And Scholes would never have been picked.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This, to me, is a fair assessment of the situation. A respectful silence from me because I recognise that I am a minority of my countrymen in being a republican. Fair play to those who do sing it though.

Quite.

I wonder whether people will sing God Save Our King to Charles with as much gusto. But that is for another day.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A lot of us also don't believe in the God bit.

Indeed, I have more of an issue with singing about God than the Queen. I respectfully don't sing hymns on the few occasions I have to go to church, it just feels hypocritical to do so.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
if your not prepared to sing the national anthem you should have the courage of your convictions and not be prepared to play in the national team IMHO

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Then don't sing it. It doesn't bother me one iota if people sing it or not, but what I was saying was if you don't believe in it, for any reason, just keep a respectful silence.

Is the correct answer. Doesn't mean players / fans aren't patriotic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite.

I wonder whether people will sing God Save Our King to Charles with as much gusto. But that is for another day.
I'm fairly sure the lick spittles in the monarchist popular press and in their person PR machine otherwise known as the BBC will work ever so hard to airbrush his interfering abuses of power and general buffoonery out of history, on the promises of knighthoods. And sadly, it won't take long.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bloodyhell, do we get a new not singing the national anthem thread every time someone decides not to sign the national anthem? Seems perfectly acceptable for British gold medal winners not to sing the anthem, but somehow footballers have to sing it!?

The big question, is why England hasn't got it's own national anthem? We've been in a Union since 1707, and yet sing the anthem of that Union as our own. It is without doubt the national anthem of Great Britain, not England. The anthem itself was supposedly penned after 1707.

It begs the question also, that if the Union were to break up, should that be the end of the Royal family and monarchy, after all they are the monarch of the sovereign state of Great Britain....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quite.

Wonder, should he take the throne, if anyone would sing God Save The Queen to Edward.

At least, unlike other royal wives, Sophie won't have to worry about him leaving her for another woman.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That makes me wonder what happens if you are only prepared to mime it.

I could see Bellamy doing THIS actually

images

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here