Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Dean Wilkins - FFS get us a new Keeper!

tiger_hall

Dec 23, 2007
you have a very weird opinion OP..
Kuipers has only been one of the best players to ever put on a Brighton shirt but apart from that he is total garbage...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
as before no i did not. But I'm not talking about todays game, the Leeds game or the Forest game. I'm talking about overall he costs us more points than he wins us, mainly down to the pressure he puts us under with the woeful kicking

That really is complete and utter f***ing bollocks.

I would happily sit with you through an end-of-season goals video roundup to ascertain EXACTLY how many goals we've conceded as a DIRECT RESULT of a f***ed-up kick from Kuipers - compared with the number of times he's bailed us out with a save.

This "woeful kicking" is a myth. An unfortunate label thats been tagged on him for yonks. I've seen PLENTY of shitty kicks from opposition keepers all season long at Withdean that go totally unremarked upon, and hey folks, thats because because we're watching THIRD DIVISION FOOTBALL. Kuipers is not noticably better or worse at kicking than the vast majority of keepers at this level, but because thats the fashionable perception of a few smart-arses, it seems its just GOT to be the common view.

Utter shite. Kuipers isn't Lev Yashin by any means, but he's a damn sight better than some of you are prepared to accept, and when he's gone, you might just realise what we're missing.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

I would happily sit with you through an end-of-season goals video roundup to ascertain EXACTLY how many goals we've conceded as a DIRECT RESULT of a f***ed-up kick from Kuipers - compared with the number of times he's bailed us out with a save.

This "woeful kicking" is a myth. An unfortunate label thats been tagged on him for yonks. I've seen PLENTY of shitty kicks from opposition keepers all season long at Withdean that go totally unremarked upon, and hey folks, thats because because we're watching THIRD DIVISION FOOTBALL. Kuipers is not noticably better or worse at kicking than the vast majority of keepers at this level, but because thats the fashionable perception of a few smart-arses, it seems its just GOT to be the common view.

Utter shite. Kuipers isn't Lev Yashin by any means, but he's a damn sight better than some of you are prepared to accept, and when he's gone, you might just realise what we're missing.

Totally agree.

Van der Sar put three kicks in to touch in the second half alone in the Roma v United match, and he is prone to doing it. I bet he doesn't get any stick for it.

FDM had three poor kicks yesterday. The last led to a goal in the 87th minute, but if you read the nonsense that has been posted, that was the one thing that beat us. The other two goals and PV's overall far superior play dont't count. FDM cost us the match....oh, and his two excellent saves in the first half don't count either.

And as for the other Albion players, none of them had three poor kicks in the match, did they?

FDM was under pressure for much of the match, largely due to a non-existent midfield and woeful defence. Why wasn't he playing in those positions too? Come on Michel, put some effort into it!

And when it started to rain and we got wet, I blame hime - he should have handed out more free ponchos...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not his biggest fan but he has had a good season and managed to stay injury-free which has been an issue in seasons gone by.

He was poor yesterday but so was everyone else and his kicking has significantly improved this season.

BUT

I think he should come out for more crosses. His is a big bloke and should be taking more crosses. Also, could be quicker off his line.

Most frustrating thing for me is how long he takes on every DROP kick. Just ruddy get on with.

There are faults to his game but you could say the same about most of our other players.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not his biggest fan but he has had a good season and managed to stay injury-free which has been an issue in seasons gone by.

He was poor yesterday but so was everyone else and his kicking has significantly improved this season.

BUT

I think he should come out for more crosses. His is a big bloke and should be taking more crosses. Also, could be quicker off his line.

Most frustrating thing for me is how long he takes on every DROP kick. Just ruddy get on with.

There are faults to his game but you could say the same about most of our other players.

I agree with most of that with the exception (at times) of taking ages over the drop-kick. Well, I agree he takes ages, but he is nowadays looking for that quick throw-out (you notice the first thing he does when catching the ball is run to the edge of the penalty area), and no-one is ready to receive.

Or rather, if Cox can't receive it, no-one else is looking for it.

SamSeagull

Mar 10, 2008
how can people moan about kuipers, after he wins us points against leeds and forest everyone was licking his arse. now hes shite???? id like to go to a albion match one day were the whole crowd got behind all the players.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
What a complete load of bollocks. Yesterday we could have had David Seaman from his Euro 96 best keeper in the world period and we would still have got stuffed.

Kuipers has been exceptional this season and he has not become a bad player because of one game, in the same way that Tommy Elphick, Joel Lynch, Andrew Whing and so on have not become crap players because of yesterday's debarcle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
how can people moan about kuipers, after he wins us points against leeds and forest everyone was licking his arse. now hes shite???? id like to go to a albion match one day were the whole crowd got behind all the players.

It's only one person who's gone for a completely over the top, personal and professional attempted demolition of the man. In actual fact, he's failed on several counts.

His personal dislike of him, depsite what he says, hasn't so much clouded his judgement as re-inforced his unwarranted contempt of him, which is strange attitude to have for one of your own players.

Personally, I don't give a shit that other clubs may or may not want to utilise his services - that's irrelevant. It's what he does for us that counts. I also don't give a shit if the man is arrogant, rude and a 'ME, ME, ME' person - I don't pay to be personal friends with the man, I go to watch him help the team I support win.

Yesterday, he didn't do that - he was unusually awful - on other occasions he has been our hero. In other words, he's human. For what it's worth, I have met him several times and found him perfectly pleasant. Maybe it's the effect Mr Burns has on him...

Yeah, yesterday was a f***-up, but then again, so what? Shit happens. I'd back him 100% to come good again.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ignore todays mistake, it's not about that, but no one on here can truely say that Kuipers kicking doesn't put the side under a lot of unnessersary pressure.... can they?

Its not the first time his kicking has resulted in goals.

You can see the players on the pitch getting annoyed by his miss hit aimless punts up field.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Before you all jump on the Kuipers band wagon hear me out.

Yes, he makes great saves, yes he has probably won us points, but I think he is the one of the worst players to wear an Albion shirt at the moment and judging on here the most overrated.

You utter f***ing idiot.

Clearly you didn't go to Forest or Leeds. Kuipers was INSPIRED.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

It'll quite good if people could start a reply with using the line, what f***ing bollocks, or you complete **** (oops I've done it down)

Most of the replies have been about Forest and Leeds, and I no doubt he played well there. Does that mean I think he a good keeper, no.

Most on here are blinded by the great looking saves he makes. I'm not. And judging by previous managers, neither were they. The fact Wilkins kept the number one shirt free for our new keeper this season said it all. But I guarantee they'll be a new number one this year, because in the game, and by the people that matter, Kuipers is not rated. and as soon as Dick Knight lets Wilkins sign a new keeper, Kuipers will be out the door.

For the record, as I said before, there is no way Kuipers can be blamed for the Port Vale defeat. Yes, I think the third one was down to him, yes I think he should have done much better with the second. Everyone says the Vale keeper was shit, but if he stayed gluded two yeards off his line when Coxy went through after half time, no doubt Coxy would have just passed it into the net like Vale did. But if your gonna blame Kuipers than you can equally blame COxy for his misses. Bottom line yesterday, no one player can be blamed, the whole team deserve that prize.

He made one good save in the first half, a save I'd expect any pro keeper to make, and he did tip one onto the bar in the second, which was an excellent reflex save, but again as Wilkins says, thats what he's there for. It looked good, but it certainly wasn't top draw stuff.

But did he start any attacks with his distribution? He gets the ball in his hands and take a age to get rid of it, but the time he does the other team is set and waiting. If he does try to rush it, he fucks it up, and the other team attack again, usually ended up with a brilliant save from our 'brilliant' keeper.

When we get a new keeper next year, be nice to him. He may not make as many spectacular saves as Lord Kuipers, because he probably wont need to, and with a bit of luck, we may get a keeper that creates more chances for us, than he does them.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You utter f***ing idiot.

Clearly you didn't go to Forest or Leeds. Kuipers was INSPIRED.

|OH, you don't agree then! :nono:

I think the Forest and Leeds game is the most refered to thing on here Mr Parrot.

Next time you call someone a f***ing idiot, try and follow it up with your own point, other you just look a total ****

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
|OH, you don't agree then! :nono:

I think the Forest and Leeds game is the most refered to thing on here Mr Parrot.

Next time you call someone a f***ing idiot, try and follow it up with your own point, other you just look a total ****

:lolol: :lolol:

I take it that's a very embarrassed 'no' to my question, then? Because if you had been to those games you'd realise just how much of a cock your comment about him being one of the worst players ever to wear an Albion shirt makes you look.

The point I made (and I did) was that Kuipers was inspired in those games. Three or four match-winning saves in the Leeds game, the same against Forest. Two points gained, rather than six lost. And two points nearer to the play-offs. All keepers have off days, the odd balls-up, but by god, I'm glad we've got FDM between the sticks, because he's saved the day on countless occasions this season and EVERY season he's been here.

Worst player to wear an Albion shirt? :lolol: Are you a Palace fan? :thud:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Burnsie Burnsie Burnsie, what are you like.

Yes, most people are citing Leeds and Forest as these are two recent examples against two competitors for play-off places. Perhaps we should go through the records and identify every match and save Kuipers has made except not all of us want to write 10,000 word diatribe about someone we don't like!

You criticize his distribution. Well lets bring back Henderson, who, lest we not forget threw his toys out of the pram. His distribution, I seem to recall, consisted of kicking the ball to the other goal keeper and then complaining when the likes of Robinson Cox etc were not getting on the end of it. From memory, as goalkeeper, I would say he cost us more points than any other with his wonderful ability to make saves and push the ball towards another oncoming attacker to slide home.

I would be interested to learn of your opinion of the playing ability of all the others on the pitch yesterday next to which you should indicate out of 10 how much you like them as a person so we can all gauge your rationale.

By the way, exactly what has Kuipers done that makes you despise him so much, of the pitch that is.

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
one thing that pissed me off about kuipers was that as a senior pro he did nothing to support and protect henderson from unjustified criticism coming from kuipers loving idiots like you

people who KNOW better than every albion manager because you rate him and all the managers who regarded him as second best are wrong

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
:lolol: :lolol:

I take it that's a very embarrassed 'no' to my question, then? Because if you had been to those games you'd realise just how much of a cock your comment about him being one of the worst players ever to wear an Albion shirt makes you look.

The point I made (and I did) was that Kuipers was inspired in those games. Three or four match-winning saves in the Leeds game, the same against Forest. Two points gained, rather than six lost. And two points nearer to the play-offs. All keepers have off days, the odd balls-up, but by god, I'm glad we've got FDM between the sticks, because he's saved the day on countless occasions this season and EVERY season he's been here.

Worst player to wear an Albion shirt? :lolol: Are you a Palace fan? :thud:

orry but I thought I'd already answered that question. Again, for fuckwits who like to keep asking the same thing, I'm talking ABOUT him overall, not the past few games.

I also never said he's the worst player to wear an Albion shirt, the the way you try and put it. But I do think as an overall player, whether deference striker or keeper, he's one of the worst players in our current squad. Certainly nowhere near the worst ever, not even worst keeper in the past 10 or so years.

But as other point out, he makes the easy look very difficult, and this is why there is such a divided opinion on here about him. SOme see his specatular saves, and thinks "unbleiveable player", others see them and think, run of the mill. Sure he does the breathtaking now and again, every keeper does.

So answer these points. WHy have most recent managers preferred other keepers?

Why was he not given the number one shirt this season?

He is not the player people on here think he is. I aint going on about his kicking, but I think its clearly the worst I have probably ever seen from a professional keeper, and this puts under more presure than it ever creates.

Secondly watch him closely, get someone who knows what they are looking for watch him closely, and you may find that his spectucluar match winning saves are not as great as they need to be.

And final question, why is it after most games, if Wilkins is asked about a certain players, he heaps priase on them. ASked about Kuipers after the FOrest game, he answer was a cold, "That's what he's there for". Hawlsey even said don't you think he had a great game, and even when pushed Wilkins basically said, that's his job, no praise at all. The Argus even printed "Wilkins Jokingly " played down his performance. Wilkins like other managers before doesn't rate him. There is a pattern.

And final point, when we get a new keeper next season, I doubt if you see as many spectucular saves as Kuipers makes. Because a better keeper than Kuipers get himself in the position not to NEED to make spectacular saves. But I doubt all the Kuipers lovers on here would understand that sentenace.

one thing that pissed me off about kuipers was that as a senior pro he did nothing to support and protect henderson from unjustified criticism coming from kuipers loving idiots like you people who KNOW better than every albion manager because you rate him and all the managers who regarded him as second best are wrong

Why would he try and protect somebody who was less of a keeper whose kicking was totally useless?? Bit like turkeys being in favour of Christmas dinners-who in their right mind would go out of their way to support somebody who could possibly take their job? Would you?

If EVERY Albion manager considers him to be, at best, second choice keeper-what on earth is he doing still in the team? And in every manager's team since he's been here. They have all bought in cover/potential replacements but he has seen them all off and always ended up playing regularly unless injured.

Rather than insult people who try and look objectively at Kuipers and what he does FOR the club, maybe you should try and lay aside your obvious dislike of the man and try to remember that he is an Albion player doing his best for the club.

For your information, MK's kicking and distribution is no worse than most keepers in modern day football. Sometimes his kicks end up with an opposition player-how much of that is because his teammates can't be bothered to move into space? You know, like they don't when we have a throw-in? Our lack of looking for space and the lack of ability to move into a space is obviously down to Kuipers. If piss poor kicking is reason enough to get rid of a goal keeper then just about every team in the world would have a revolving door policy regarding keepers. Weird that the majority understand a goal keeper's primary function is to prevent goals being scored. If they can sometimes turn prevention into attack-that's a bonus.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
one thing that pissed me off about kuipers was that as a senior pro he did nothing to support and protect henderson from unjustified criticism coming from kuipers loving idiots like you

people who KNOW better than every albion manager because you rate him and all the managers who regarded him as second best are wrong
WHy would he. At the same time he was playing in the reserves telling anyone who would listen , that he should be playing in the first team. As I said before he a ME ME ME ME ME type of player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here