Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Dean Wilkins - FFS get us a new Keeper!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Personally, I've always thought when we had a keeper in place who could distribute the ball better than Kuipers it gave us an extra dimension to our game.

Slightly controversial possibly, but I've always felt that.

But he's the best we've got at the moment.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Personally, I've always thought when we had a keeper in place who could distribute the ball better than Kuipers it gave us an extra dimension to our game.

Slightly controversial possibly, but I've always felt that.

But he's the best we've got at the moment.
They'll burn you for saying something slightly negative about Lord Kuipers. I agree though, it does give us an extra dimension. But personally I'm more worried about the pressure it puts us under. Probably best we have, he's all we have, other than youth. But hopefully Deano will deliver us a new keeper in the summer (Flinders), FDM will sulk 'cause he aint number one, and we can all move on.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

I'd have said sensible. That was his 50th game in a row this season, he's not the best keeper we've had but he's far from being the worst.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The whole team was piss poor today WW.
I just get a bit sick and tired when a defeat like this is pinned squarly (or primarily) on the goalie, because it hides a multitude of failings around the whole team today.

It wasn't a great kick, no. But there was plenty more that could have been done by the defence before their guy leathered it into the top corner.

I don't know why you bother, easy. The FDM-haters don't want him to play well because they look forward to criticising him every week. And a couple of bad kicks will always be the reason we lost.

If he doesn't play like Petr Cech he's had a bad game - you know that!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't know why you bother, easy. The FDM-haters don't want him to play well because they look forward to criticising him every week. And a couple of bad kicks will always be the reason we lost.

And the FDM-lovers REFUSE to admit when he makes a mistake.

It's pathetic.

He's a good keeper, but can't be excused today. Better blame everyone else though because they aren't Kuipers....

seagullsss

Lofts Number 1 Fan!
Jan 1, 2008
Before you all jump on the Kuipers band wagon hear me out.

Yes, he makes great saves, yes he has probably won us points, but I think he is the one of the worst players to wear an Albion shirt at the moment and judging on here the most overrated.

As a person I have to admit I dislike the man. It doesn't cloud what I think of him as a player, but I've always found him extremely arrogant, and very much a "me me me" type of man. Anyone who's ever seen him play in the reserves, will no doubt have heard him telling anyone who listens that he should be in the first team, which is totally disrepectful to the number one keepers at the time.

But the fact is, every Albion manager has preferred someone else to him. Even this season the fact when they give out the shirt numbers, and the number one jersey has been unused, suggest Wilkins feels the same, and Kuipers is only there because we failed to sign someone else. When the retained list comes out , I really hope he's released, but I fear he'll have an appearance clause and get another contract. I think Wilkins' comments after the FOrest game sums up what he thinks of him, when asked about his MOM performance, all Wilkins said was "Thats what he's there for, thats his job" and the Arsegas even said "Wilkins jokinly" said it, but WIlkins meant what he said. I think a lot can be said about the fact whenever he's not first choice, and has wanted to leave, no one came in for him except Boston United, and look where they are now! Wilkins loves to heap praise on indivual players, and the fact he never does on Kuipers speaks volumes.

There is no doubt that Kuipers is a great shot stopper, and he's proved that again this year. But how many of these shots would have been avoided with another keeper in goal?

David Seaman was a perfect example of a goalkeeper, who rarely made spectacular saves, but was a rock behind the defence. Kuipers I feel is the opposite, make specatcular saves, yet scares the shit out of his defenders with the rest of his game.

The main reason I feel Kuipers shouldn't be near our team is because of his kicking. Many will shout "I don't give a f*** if he can't kick", but its a major part of a keepers game. Today the 3rd Port Vale goal was down to him, pure and simple. He f*** up his umpeth kick and got caught of this line and the rest is history. If you get a video of todays game, and I'm sure Wilkins will, and look at the amount of pressure the defence was placed under today, due to his poor kicking, and look at this over the season, I think his kicking as costs us far more points than his saves have earnt us. I don't mean directly like todays 3rd, but indirectly his kicking costs us plenty of goals.

Take the Vale keeper, his kicking was excellent today, yet Kuipers on one of the smallest pitches in the league and the wind up his arse in the second half, failed to get the ball over the halfway line on more than one occasion. When he did catch it right, the ball sailed striaght into the Vale's keepers hands (Although he did make a meal of one of them). Yet the Vales keepers kicks, when long went to the sides of the area and keep us under pressure.

For a professional keeper to kick so poorly is just not acceptable. His whole body shape is embarrasinly poor, he turns 90 degrees when he releases the ball, he is almost getting tangled up in himself, and this is why he slices it all the time. Even when he get distance on it, he slices it, and there is no way the keeper coach would tell him to kick it like that.

I know this is a huge rant for what most will see a trival thing, but Kuipers has got to be the worst kicker in professional football, but as any manager will tell you, kicking is a huge part of a keepers game these days, and Kuiper's would be in the bottom 5% of county league keepers in terms of his kicking, and has got to be by far the worst in professional football as far as kicking is concerned.

I'm not blaming Kuipers for today result, but I do think he is the most overrated player we have, and would struggle to get in any other league side, as has been proved in the past.

Shot stopping - excellent
overall game - far far short of what we need

NUmber one priority of pre-season, Midfielders,
Number 1.1 priority a new Keeper is SUllivan aint ready for next year.

absoloutly stupid he has been quality for us this year everyone makes mistakes and if it wernt for him this season today wouldnt even have been an important match

who me?

Jan 12, 2007

it's not just the FDM-haters who dont rate him as much as his many fans on here.

it is every brighton manager given a choice who rate anyone over him, and every manager of league clubs who,when he is out of the first team, has failed to make a bid for him.

the last serious bid for him was from peter taylor at hull and if it wasn't for his car crash we would have got rid of a dud to the lower leagues years ago

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
it's not just the FDM-haters who dont rate him as much as his many fans on here.

it is every brighton manager given a choice who rate anyone over him, and every manager of league clubs who,when he is out of the first team, has failed to make a bid for him.

the last serious bid for him was from peter taylor at hull and if it wasn't for his car crash we would have got rid of a dud to the lower leagues years ago
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The first poster to pick up on the fact that no one else, including Albion managers dont rate him

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And the FDM-lovers REFUSE to admit when he makes a mistake.

It's pathetic.

He's a good keeper, but can't be excused today. Better blame everyone else though because they aren't Kuipers....
Why the necessity to "blame" anyone. They were all f***ing shit. Presumably after today Wilkins needs to get rid of everyone except Kerry Mayo and start again? If Knight doesn't get rid of Wilkins and get a new manager. If Knight stays.

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The first poster to pick up on the fact that no one else, including Albion managers dont rate him

not a manager in any league from the prem to the conference south has in the last 7 years offered a can of beans for him

boston would have taken him if we guaranteed to pay his wages for 2 seasons alledgedly

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why the necessity to "blame" anyone. They were all f***ing shit. Presumably after today Wilkins needs to get rid of everyone except Kerry Mayo and start again? If Knight doesn't get rid of Wilkins and get a new manager. If Knight stays.
I dont think anyone has blamed Kuipers for today. I certainly don't. Yes, the third goal was totally down to him, and is my point. His kicking puts us in the shit, today it was obvious, most times its not so obvious. But I certainly wouldn't blame anyone other than the whole team for that shit today.

The main plus from today, is it was only 3, because with the crossbar the score line would have been scary

seagullsss

Lofts Number 1 Fan!
Jan 1, 2008
I dont think anyone has blamed Kuipers for today. I certainly don't. Yes, the third goal was totally doen to him, and is my point. His kicking puts us in the shit, today it was obvious, most times its not so obvious. But I certainly wouldn't blame anyone other than the whole team for that shit today.

The main plus from today, is it was only 3, because with the crossbar the score line would have been scary

did u goto notts forest or leeds

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Must admit I did not for one minute blame Kuipers for third goal, thought it was a very good shot.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Must admit I did not for one minute blame Kuipers for third goal, thought it was a very good shot.

No doubt about it being a good shot - but the ball was spooned up to him.
Kuipers lobbed again for not getting back

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
did u goto notts forest or leeds
as before no i did not. But I'm not talking about todays game, the Leeds game or the Forest game. I'm talking about overall he costs us more points than he wins us, mainly down to the pressure he puts us under with the woeful kicking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here