Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Dean Wilkins - FFS get us a new Keeper!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
did u goto notts forest or leeds

Not sure what that has to do with anything really.

Do you remember the game against Wolves live on Sky ?

I think the criticism above is well over the top, but you do have to look beyond the spectacular saves.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Must admit I did not for one minute blame Kuipers for third goal, thought it was a very good shot.
I think the third goal was totally down to him and his kicking, but alone it certainly didn't cost us the game today, the whole team takes credit for that

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the third goal was totally down to him and his kicking, but alone it certainly didn't cost us the game today, the whole team takes credit for that

Did cost us a point if it was his fault then

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

I think the criticism above is well over the top, but you do have to look beyond the spectacular saves.
And unfortunately that is what many on here, and many in this thread are not capable of doing. I'll be first to admit he makes some breathtaking saves, but that doesn't make someone a good goalkeeper. There is a hell of a lot more to keeping then making the odds breathtaking save.

seagullsss

Lofts Number 1 Fan!
Jan 1, 2008

nooo...was he awfull? even if he was he has done us well all season and find it strange that after one game people slate him. kuipers has definetly improved his kicking

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I thought the Port Vale keepers kicking was worse than Kuipers kicking today, He looked well dodgy. Just a shame we could'nt take advantage of it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought the Port Vale keepers kicking was worse than Kuipers kicking today, He looked well dodgy. Just a shame we could'nt take advantage of it.

He looked very poor their keeper however he had the last laugh.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Did cost us a point if it was his fault then
Not really. At 2-1 we were never going to score. It obvious I aint a fan of him, but I wouldn't say the third goal cost us the point. If it was 2-2 at the time, then yes, but at 2-1, apart from a 5 minutes spell, we were nevfer in the races. Vale scoring a third was nearly their undoing. AT 2-1 we were still unwilling to throw everything at them, but at 3-1 we just went for it, and nearly pulled off the most undeserve comeback ever

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
and his fan "pleasing" over elaboration of shot saving,melodrama is his forte

his kicking is woefull and causes pressure upon his own goal

but what pisses me off most is when he flaps at a cross,misses and blames the defence for not picking up on the second ball when he should have caught the f***ing ball and prevented the danger

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
His kicking from backpasses was terrible, he spooned everything, but out of his hands I though it was superb. I could live with Kuipers if he kicking from backpasses was poor (although not be happy about it), but its the fact he is so poor kicking out of his hands is something that cannot be accepted at this standard,

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He looked very poor their keeper however he had the last laugh.

We were a bit poo today but I blame myself really, I've never had a good record watching us play at home in the league ( only ever seen us win one game at home in the league ) and I just happened to pick today as my first home league game of the season. I think i'll just stick to cup games in the future.

edit; since we left the goldstone that is.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to hold my hand and admit I don't go to any away games but as a sth would say that Kuipers kicking has improved this year.

With regard to saying all the managers listed preferred others, I would suggest there are only two that were better, Beasant and Roberts. Roberts second name was sicknote and Beasant was a stop gap following Kuipers shoulder injury I seem to recall. Both goalkeepers were however better but not surprisingly bearing in mind they were both premiership keepers in their hey day (though don't forget Roberts contribution to FA Cup history, a goal that perhaps he should have saved).

Over the 30 years I have watched Albion, we have generally been blessed with very good goal keepers, Moseley, Beeney, Steele, Keeley etc, and no doubt many older fans would include one P Grummitt up there with them. Seem to recall from what I did see of him (76/77 ) every drop kick was sliced. We still got promoted.

And just because I don't agree with what you say, doesn't mean I am a Kuipers lover. I don't love any player, just enjoy watching football.

And finally, anyone who blames Kuipers for their third goal and therefore the defeat because the score was 3-2 needs their head examined. If the goal was his fault and was scored with the last kick of the game then it would be, but had they not scored it when they did, who knows what would subsequently have happened. The course of the game would have altered and we might not have got our second!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, I'm going to try and bring a bit of objectivity to this.

Kuipers didn't play well today, but then nobody really did. I thought he was caught out for the third, possibly slightly slow off his line for the second, and he very nearly conceded another goal in the first half by seemingly diving over a shot from outside the box. Be honest, who didn't hold their breath as that trickled inches wide?

But on the other hand? He by all accounts, saved our bacon at Leeds and Forest, so it's a bit swings and roundabouts.

Looking at the bigger picture, the question surely is: could we do any better for the same sort of money? If you accept that you're not going to get someone world class in League One, then you have to accept some kind of flaw in your goalkeeper's game. I've looked at the other (regular) keepers in League One to try and get my head around it, and I think the following are better than him, for various reasons:

Bunn (Northampton) Best keeper I've seen this season by a MILE
Westwood (Carlisle)
Sullivan (Doncaster)
Coyne (Tranmere)
Phillips (Bristol Rovers)
Lee-Barrett (Hartlepool)
Higgs (Cheltenham)
Flahavan (Southend)
Brezovan (Swindon)
And...if I may be controversial...Flinders (Yeovil) :cool:

The following are worse:
Nelson or Garner (Orient)
Ince (Walsall- but a very similar keeper to Kuipers)
Stillie (Gillingham)
Evans (Millwall)

Which leaves a few I either don't know enough about, or can't separate from Kuipers:

Moss (Bournemouth)
Brill (Luton- good keeper but in a crap team so can't justify placing him higher)
Smith (Forest- he looked brilliant with Brentford but not very consistent now)
Flahavan (Southend)
Crossley (Oldham- good in his day but old and fat now)
Ankergren (overrated because of who he plays for, kicking as bad as FDM)
Anyon (Port Vale) decent today but has chucked a few in this season
De Whatsit (Swansea)
So...could we do better? This suggests we could. Are we badly off? Not necessarily, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep an eye on which keepers are available come June. Football moves quickly, and I just can't help thinking Kuipers is seen as a stop-gap measure until Wendy finds the one he wants.

I have no problem with that, so long as we get a better replacement in time. Is it wrong to want the best players possible for the Albion?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Have to hold my hand and admit I don't go to any away games but as a sth would say that Kuipers kicking has improved this year.

With regard to saying all the managers listed preferred others, I would suggest there are only two that were better, Beasant and Roberts. Roberts second name was sicknote and Beasant was a stop gap following Kuipers shoulder injury I seem to recall. Both goalkeepers were however better but not surprisingly bearing in mind they were both premiership keepers in their hey day (though don't forget Roberts contribution to FA Cup history, a goal that perhaps he should have saved).

Over the 30 years I have watched Albion, we have generally been blessed with very good goal keepers, Moseley, Beeney, Steele, Keeley etc, and no doubt many older fans would include one P Grummitt up there with them. Seem to recall from what I did see of him (76/77 ) every drop kick was sliced. We still got promoted.

And just because I don't agree with what you say, doesn't mean I am a Kuipers lover. I don't love any player, just enjoy watching football.

And finally, anyone who blames Kuipers for their third goal and therefore the defeat because the score was 3-2 needs their head examined. If the goal was his fault and was scored with the last kick of the game then it would be, but had they not scored it when they did, who knows what would subsequently have happened. The course of the game would have altered and we might not have got our second!!!
Good points, but I disagree with you about the third. As I said before for the reason I said before, I blame him totally for the third goal, but not the overall defeat.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I haven't even bothered to read the whole thread but this is cock. kuipers has been superb this season. yes he is a weak kicker but he is the best shot stopper in this division and arguably in the Championship as well. Fully expect him to be voted player of the season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm confused by whether you think Flahavan is better than Kuipers or not Edna?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Doh! I changed my mind :)

I was thinking he was probably marginally better, and very consistent from what I hear. But quite short and I haven't seen him much so difficult to call.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I haven't even bothered to read the whole thread but this is cock. kuipers has been superb this season. yes he is a weak kicker but he is the best shot stopper in this division and arguably in the Championship as well. Fully expect him to be voted player of the season.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I don't know whats funnier, that he's the best shot stopper in the championship, or that he'll be player of the year.

Elphick all the way, followed by Forester, with El-Abd third.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Personally, I've always thought when we had a keeper in place who could distribute the ball better than Kuipers it gave us an extra dimension to our game.

Slightly controversial possibly, but I've always felt that.

But he's the best we've got at the moment.

Pretty much agree with that. For all the improvement his kicking has shown this season, Kuipers still looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and from time to time it will cause us problems. The third goal today was a case in point, a passback resulted in a hurried kick that gained great height but came down behind the midfield which immediately put us on the back foot and allowed their number 14 a little extra space to turn and shoot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here