Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We should consistently be one of the best 8-10 countries in the world. We are.

I laughed at this, then checked the FIFA rankings and we're 6th. How the hell does this work then? We were pants at the last WC, and did not even qualify for the previous Euros.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In India Football is definitely the second sport behind Cricket. It is a HUGE sport there.

You're changing the parameters now. I took "passion" to refers to "how much people play it", which is surely indicative of passion?

Passion for football amongst your standard bloke in India probably DOES match up to over here.

And regarding infrastructure, you probably know full well that India is a massive emerging market so that comment will be null and void within 10-15 years.

To re-cap;

We should consistently be one of the best 8-10 countries in the world. We are.
I'm not changing any parameters, but you certainly seem to be. I talked about our resources and our passion for the game. Now. Not in 10-15 years time, but NOW (and the past 50 years). And now you're comparing the passion for the game in this country with that of "your standard bloke in India". Fine, have it your way - the average Indian is as passionate for football as we are. And so too is the average American, because you tried suggesting they're passionate too (but oddly enough, you used different metrics there in order to suit your argument)

But in both cases, neither have had the football infrastructure (resources) over the past 50 years have they? So why are you arguing my point?

1990 was the semi final and it was in Italy. We lost the 3rd/4th play off game to Italy to finish 4th!
Yes, you're right. We have indeed been to ONE semi final on foreign soil. Ever. (or is it two, counting that Euro?)

Terrific achievement. No need for the FA to change anything then.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
And regarding infrastructure, you probably know full well that India is a massive emerging market so that comment will be null and void within 10-15 years.

Seriously Jamie. You think that in India in 15 years time there will be 92 professional clubs in India, most with Youth academies and TRAINING GROUNDS that you could play Crown Green Bowls on?

I think Simster's right. We have a large population, football is the No. 1 game, and we have excellent facilities. It is hard to think of a single country with ALL of the above 3 factors, that has such a pitiful record as ours.

Look at Croatia, who are a mere 2 or 3 places below us in the world rankings. A fraction of our population, less passion for football, and utterly dreadful facilities.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I laughed at this, then checked the FIFA rankings and we're 6th. How the hell does this work then? We were pants at the last WC, and did not even qualify for the previous Euros.

FIFA rankings are bollocks. I'm talking about over our whole history.

How can you laugh at this? We've won a World Cup (part of a very select club in doing so) and consistently made it past the group stages of major competitions for years. That is undisputable fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Define "good".

Pretty much every other country in the WORLD would say we do. But you'd rather believe the tabloids I suppose.

Maybe I live a sheltered life but no one has ever come up to me and said 'hey, you Englanders produce many good players.'

And the reason we choose 'keepers by default, have to coax players out of retirement and give debuts to 33 year olds is because we produce many good players is it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe I live a sheltered life but no one has ever come up to me and said 'hey, you Englanders produce many good players.'

And the reason we choose 'keepers by default, have to coax players out of retirement and give debuts to 33 year olds is because we produce many good players is it?

No, because that would be a weird sentence for someone to "come up to you and say". Don't be so obtuse.

I'm referring things like top European players referring to their favourite players in the world to watch etc. We always do pretty well.]

Right, cos no country has ever had injury issues or a shortage in certain position at a certain time? Brilliant logic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seriously Jamie. You think that in India in 15 years time there will be 92 professional clubs in India, most with Youth academies and TRAINING GROUNDS that you could play Crown Green Bowls on?

I think Simster's right. We have a large population, football is the No. 1 game, and we have excellent facilities. It is hard to think of a single country with ALL of the above 3 factors, that has such a pitiful record as ours.

Look at Croatia, who are a mere 2 or 3 places below us in the world rankings. A fraction of our population, less passion for football, and utterly dreadful facilities.
Careful, we wouldn't want your little upstart of a brother calling you an "old man" because you've completely ruined his scattergun argument. :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Holland, anyone? Spain until 4 years ago?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, because that would be a weird sentence for someone to "come up to you and say". Don't be so obtuse.

I'm referring things like top European players referring to their favourite players in the world to watch etc. We always do pretty well.]

Right, cos no country has ever had injury issues or a shortage in certain position at a certain time? Brilliant logic.
Oh you want logic. Have a look at the major honours over the past 50 years:

Won a WC once (at home)
WC semi
Euro semi twice (once at home)

As I say, it's awesome isn't it?

Holland, anyone? Spain until 4 years ago?
Pmsl!
Holland - 3 WC final appearances and a Euro win, plus a few semi appearances, stacks up FAR better than ours, with a population of a QUARTER of our own.

Spain - lets not change the parameters to suit your argument eh? Now, reigning holders of both major titles, and those honours in full:

FIFA World Cup
Winners (1): 2010
Fourth place (1): 1950

UEFA European Championship
Winner (2): 1964, 2008
Runner-up (1): 1984

FIFA Confederations Cup
Third place (1): 2009

Olympic football tournament
Gold Medal (1): 1992
Silver Medal (2): 1920, 2000

All done with a population smaller than our own, in a ridiculously fragmented country where playing for Spain isn't the honour that it is for us.

NEXT.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh you want logic. Have a look at the major honours over the past 50 years:

Won a WC once (at home)
WC semi
Euro semi twice (once at home)

As I say, it's awesome isn't it?

FFS. He said "good". I said define "good." Not "world class" etc, just "good".

We're losing all sense of perspective here. Like I said, all it comes down to is:

History suggests we should generally be in the 8-10 of countries in the world. We generally are. I don't see where the issue is?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FIFA rankings are bollocks. I'm talking about over our whole history.

How can you laugh at this? We've won a World Cup (part of a very select club in doing so) and consistently made it past the group stages of major competitions for years. That is undisputable fact.

Part of the reason we make it to tournaments, and make it past the group stages it because of this distorted ranking/seeding system though. The minute the seeding goes you will see a very different sutuation. The seeding, generally, keeps England away from anyone decent until the knockout stage of a tournament.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think what gets to me most, and probably Sheebo too....is the seeming....desire for England to be rubbish. To desire to put our players down, to slag off at every opportunity and call them failures, and always trying to see the negative in every positive. Sure, we were sh*t in two games at the World Cup, and that was a real shame as it looked good under Capello until then. But the desire to always stick the boot in to your own players, doesn't sit right with me...

I just can't understand it personally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Most countries turn to the next generation when they have injuries, we turn to the past.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I hate seeding it ruins the tournament. All countries got there on the same merit, they should be treated equally. Most countries at the world cup/euro already got the benefit of being seeded favourably in the qualifiers, why give them yet again another benefit of being put in a group with 3 wank countries.. only to watch them fvck it up :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here