Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unlike Upson and Carragher who would obviously have shone as much in that team as they did in SA

Carragher is a jobbing stand-in utility defender, who was about eighth choice and only got near the squad through countless injuries.

I'd rather Capello had called up Adam El Abd, to be honest.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On a side topic relating to England, there was an interesting piece in the Torygraph this morning along the lines of isn't about time the boo-boys left Ashley Cole alone? Love him or loath him, he equals the record caps for a left back tonight (assuming he plays) and is arguably one of the best, if not the best left back England have ever had, yet still doesn't get a very good reception.

As I've said before I've got nothnig against Ashley - mainly cos A) I don't support Arsenal and B) I don't read the tabloids...

And I'm an England fan so I like him as he's a good player...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Carragher is a jobbing stand-in utility defender, who was about eighth choice and only got near the squad through countless injuries.

I'd rather Capello had called up Adam El Abd, to be honest.

We've already got a FOREIGNER in charge.
I don't want any bloody FOREIGNERS in the team as well. :angry:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I have been going to watch England away since 1990

1990 - Italy WC - semi final - lost to West Germany on pens
1992 - Sweden EC - knocked out group stages
1994 - failed to qualify - that was poor
1996 - England EC - semi final - lost to Germany on pens
1998 - France WC - 8ths - lost to Argentina on pens
2000 - Holland/Belgium - knocked out group stages
2002 - Japan WC - 8ths - lost to Brazil
2004 - Portugal EC - 1/4 final - lost to Portugal
2006 - Germany WC - 1/4 final - lost to Portugal on pens
2008 - failed to qualify
2010 - South Africa - 8ths - lost to Germany

Basically we are one of the top 10 sides in the world, but have sadly failed to have the luck or the form to go on and win the tournament. If we were better at penalties then this could look so so much better.

I love watching England (especially away) and have seen us win some fantastic matches, including big games such as v Argentina in Japan, Germany in Munich, Holland and Spain in Euro 96, a great 0-0 away in Italy to see us qualify for WC in France in 1998, so to say we always bottle the big games is rubbish.

We were poor in SA this year, yet still got out the group but got beat by a much better Germany side (who went on to crush Argentina!)

I think the current team looks pretty good. Now if like Scotland we had to play a formation of 1-4-6-0 to try and stop a team scoring then I would seriously think about not going!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Injuries.

Always excuses.

Anway I'll get out of here and leave you guys to sing the praises of a team who really don't deserve the support they get. I hope not to see any moaning threads about our performance tomorrow and don't worry I won't be contributing if there are. I'd rather stick red hot needles in my eyes than watch England at the moment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Always excuses.

Anway I'll get out of here and leave you guys to sing the praises of a team who really don't deserve the support they get. I hope not to see any moaning threads about our performance tomorrow and don't worry I won't be contributing if there are. I'd rather stick red hot needles in my eyes than watch England at the moment.

You could easily say that when the Albion were shit (all of about 18 months ago!) they didn't deserve the support they were getting. Does that mean nobody should have gone to the games then?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You could easily say that when the Albion were shit (all of about 18 months ago!) they didn't deserve the support they were getting. Does that mean nobody should have gone to the games then?

You could, but I am willing to live with the shit years and to support Albion through thick and thin. I am no longer willing to do the same for those overpaid prima donnas that allegedly represent England. Different kettle of fish completely.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You could, but I am willing to live with the shit years and to support Albion through thick and thin. I am no longer willing to do the same for those overpaid prima donnas that allegedly represent England. Different kettle of fish completely.

What will you think when the Albion are bottom of the Premier League in a few years time with players on 20k a week? Will they be over-paid prima donnas?*

*Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the England players aren't

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What will you think when the Albion are bottom of the Premier League in a few years time with players on 20k a week? Will they be over-paid prima donnas?*

That is a very good point. Could I just walk away, I reckon I probably could if they pissed me off enough, after all I did used to be a big England fan :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That is a very good point. Could I just walk away, I reckon I probably could if they pissed me off enough, after all I did used to be a big England fan :shrug:

Thank you.

What if England suddenly start looking like a really good side that can win something, and I mean IN AN ACTUAL TOURNAMENT, not against Montenegro in the qualifying. Will you then become interested again?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Am in the prawn sandwich Club Wembley seats for the first time tonight. Will give me an insight into how some of you will watch the Albion at Falmer in your Platinum/Gold seats.

"Oh do sit down and stop that racket. My wife's getting a headache!"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you.

What if England suddenly start looking like a really good side that can win something, and I mean IN AN ACTUAL TOURNAMENT, not against Montenegro in the qualifying. Will you then become interested again?

How can I say no? :lolol:

It's not the winning of the tournament that is important to me, it's being able to actually compete with the best and not look out of place. It's when we play like a Sunday league team and I know the players are being paid over 100k a man a week that REALLY pisses me off and makes me lose interest..and I have to read all the build up bullshit on NSC and in the press about what a great chance we have, ( Don't believe me, have a look at the pre world cup threads on here :facepalm: and now they are all off doing it AGAIN)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Quick question. Why when trying to buy tickets for tonight through the FA website are you directed to the dog awful ticketmaster website but tickets for the France game are available through the much better FA ticket site?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Considering the size of this nation's resources, and the passion for soccerball in this country, we should be doing much better than we have been doing. We haven't got close to winning any tournament since 1990, and most recently we failed to qualify for the last Euro and were a f***ing shambles in the last World Cup. This really should set alarm bells ringing at FA HQ.

But clearly it doesn't. It's business as usual isn't it? As long as the nation's biggest clubs are making money, no-one with the ability to make the tough decisions seems to give a f***.

So while there might be a lot of rhetoric in Icy's "worst team in 50 years" statement, I think it's fair to say that this is the most underwhelming situation we've seen in that time. If the FA suits don't give a toss, then why should people like Icy and I?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who's this new fella they got up front?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As I've said before I've got nothnig against Ashley - mainly cos A) I don't support Arsenal and B) I don't read the tabloids...

And I'm an England fan so I like him as he's a good player...

Weren't you one of the scores of people on here saying things like

"I just couldn't care about england anymore and dont think I ever will again"

And crap like that, you've certainly changed your tune and are now happy to laud it over people that either smartly saw it coming and mile off or actually stuck to their guns and still dont care?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Considering the size of this nation's resources, and the passion for soccerball in this country, we should be doing much better than we have been doing.

By that reckoning, the greatest football countries in the world should be:

China
India
USA

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Weren't you one of the scores of people on here saying things like

"I just couldn't care about england anymore and dont think I ever will again"

And crap like that, you've certainly changed your tune and are now happy to laud it over people that either smartly saw it coming and mile off or actually stuck to their guns and still dont care?

You've definitely got the wrong bloke there. Sheebo is a proper England fan.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You've definitely got the wrong bloke there. Sheebo is a proper England fan.

I'll agree with that, he was still gushingly enthusiastic as we were being dismantled by Germany. He might have blinkers on but I have to agree that he has maintained this enthusiasm as long as I've noticed his posts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here