Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Most countries turn to the next generation when they have injuries, we turn to the past.

Do we generally "turn to the past"? Or are you making a generalisation so you can be negative, when really you are referring to perhaps 2 examples?

When Beckham was on his last legs, did we bring in Walcott or did we get Robert Lee out of retirement?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
She's in Girls Aloud. Sorry I was being pedantic.

Spice Girls, Girls Allowed they are all the same to me. Talentless bints that are quite pleasing on the eye put together by people who know how to manipulate young girls and homosexuals into purchasing their woeful durge!

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Begging scholes out of retirement for the tenth time while England have dozens of 'good' to 'excellent' central midfielders springs to mind. many central midfielders given one game to score 5 goals or face never playing for england again while rubbish like Stevie G gets to play no matter how shite he turns out for england, that is if he can bothered to play for england.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We do produce good players, there is no doubt about that. Look at our clubs records in Europe over the past 30/40 years and it's as good as any and most of these sides were built with plenty of English talent in them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think what gets to me most, and probably Sheebo too....is the seeming....desire for England to be rubbish. To desire to put our players down, to slag off at every opportunity and call them failures, and always trying to see the negative in every positive. Sure, we were sh*t in two games at the World Cup, and that was a real shame as it looked good under Capello until then. But the desire to always stick the boot in to your own players, doesn't sit right with me...

I just can't understand it personally. Go support another country.

I will give my slavish support to something I believe in, but I cannot blindly support something which clearly needs a serious reality check and an overhaul. There comes a time when you simply have to say enough is enough. I've said many a time, all the while muppets turn up a cheer nothing will change. If you really want England to do well, choose my approach....otherwise nothing will change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
FFS. He said "good". I said define "good." Not "world class" etc, just "good".

We're losing all sense of perspective here. Like I said, all it comes down to is:

History suggests we should generally be in the 8-10 of countries in the world. We generally are. I don't see where the issue is?
No we're not. You are arguing the point that we should be doing better than we are, by suggesting that China, USA and India should be top 3. And you're getting absolutely BATTERED for doing so, because you're wrong.

If you want to argue the premise that 8-10 world position is reasonable, then do so with proper coherent arguements instead of making crap assertions then attempting to back them up with a crock of shit before posting "keep up old man" and whatever feeble putdown you attempted on Icy.

In the meantime, I maintain that a perpetual "world ranking" of 8th-10th and an honours list that amounts to one win and 3 semis in the past 30 tournaments is absolute shite for a footballing nation of our stature, and I am totally f***ed off that the FA never EVER seem to want to do anything about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I will give my slavish support to something I believe in, but I cannot blindly support something which clearly needs a serious reality check and an overhaul. There comes a time when you simply have to say enough is enough. I've said many a time, all the while muppets turn up a cheer nothing will change. If you really want England to do well, choose my approach....otherwise nothing will change.

How is what you are doing going to make any difference? I assume you stopped supporting Brighton under Adams then? We were in DIRE need of an overhaul at that point.

I don't want to get on any pedestal but a proper supporter will stick with a team even when they can see there are things that need to change.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No we're not. You are arguing the point that we should be doing better than we are, by suggesting that China, USA and India should be top 3. And you're getting absolutely BATTERED for doing so, because you're wrong.

If you want to argue the premise that 8-10 world position is reasonable, then do so with proper coherent arguements instead of making crap assertions then attempting to back them up with a crock of shit before posting "keep up old man" and whatever feeble putdown you attempted on Icy.

In the meantime, I maintain that a perpetual "world ranking" of 8th-10th and an honours list that amounts to one win and 3 semis in the past 30 tournaments is absolute shite for a footballing nation of our stature, and I am totally f***ed off that the FA never EVER seem to want to do anything about it.

No, I was suggesting the initial premise was flawed. Not really getting battered am I? It's the usual boring old suspects.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do we generally "turn to the past"? Or are you making a generalisation so you can be negative, when really you are referring to perhaps 2 examples?

When Beckham was on his last legs, did we bring in Walcott or did we get Robert Lee out of retirement?

Carragher and Scoles for the last WC. We played Beckham when he was well past his sell-by-date and he only got moved on when his achilles snapped. We also took a defender to the WC who does not train because he's got worse knees than an IRA victim. Recently Capello tried to coax Heskey and has given an upcapped 33 year old a call up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How is what you are doing going to make any difference? I assume you stopped supporting Brighton under Adams then? We were in DIRE need of an overhaul at that point.

I don't want to get on any pedestal but a proper supporter will stick with a team even when they can see there are things that need to change.
But supporting a club is not comparable IMO.

I'll always be English so I'll always want England to do well. However, whereas you can't walk away from the club for fear of the club dying or slumping through the divisions, this will never happen to the national team. There is no correlation between the number of people turning up at the new Wembley and the position of England in the world standings.

The only way to make the powers that be actually wake up is to simply show how apathetic you are to an organisation that is monumentally incompetent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think what gets to me most, and probably Sheebo too....is the seeming....desire for England to be rubbish. To desire to put our players down, to slag off at every opportunity and call them failures, and always trying to see the negative in every positive. Sure, we were sh*t in two games at the World Cup, and that was a real shame as it looked good under Capello until then. But the desire to always stick the boot in to your own players, doesn't sit right with me...

I just can't understand it personally.

Or could it be that you and Sheebo will not accept that we look great until we come up against a decent team and then we look 2nd rate? I'd love us to be good I've just been let down way too many times to believe the hype that people like you and Sheebo believe before every tournament. We very very seldom live up to the hype and it gets a bit wearing after a couple of decades.

It's not a desire for England to disappoint, it's an expectation and the players generally do turn out to be rubbish on the big stage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But supporting a club is not comparable IMO.

I'll always be English so I'll always want England to do well. However, whereas you can't walk away from the club for fear of the club dying or slumping through the divisions, this will never happen to the national team. There is no correlation between the number of people turning up at the new Wembley and the position of England in the world standings.

The only way to make the powers that be actually wake up is to simply show how apathetic you are to an organisation that is monumentally incompetent.

They don't know that you're apathetic though do they? There's no way of them registering that. Nothing will change unless people actually demonstrated in some way. It's completely meaningless.

Also....I dunno....I just can't help but want to defend England. I wouldn't even say I'm mega patriotic overall, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

The FA are knobs though, don't get me wrong on that one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There came a point when I turned up and jeered Adams yes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes you are. :thumbsup:

No, I'm really not. :thumbsup: I haven't even made that big a deal of that hilarious 180 degree turn you made within 2 sentences, bar a little boldening.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or could it be that you and Sheebo will not accept that we look great until we come up against a decent team and then we look 2nd rate? I'd love us to be good I've just been let down way too many times to believe the hype that people like you and Sheebo believe before every tournament. We very very seldom live up to the hype and it gets a bit wearing after a couple of decades.

It's not a desire for England to disappoint, it's an expectation and the players generally do turn out to be rubbish on the big stage.

I don't "believe the hype". I've never gone into a major tournament thinking we would win it. I understand what you are saying about it being wearing, but that is part of being a supporter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They don't know that you're apathetic though do they? There's no way of them registering that. Nothing will change unless people actually demonstrated in some way. It's completely meaningless.

Also....I dunno....I just can't help but want to defend England. I wouldn't even say I'm mega patriotic overall, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

The FA are knobs though, don't get me wrong on that one.
I'd say giving Wembley a miss is an excellent way to show your apathy.

Funnily enough, I'm moderately patriotic myself. I love the fact that we do lots of things right in this country. Sadly, football at the highest level is not one of them. Or at least, I maintain we are massively underachieving owing to the incompetence and lack of vision of the people at the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here