Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sheebo! I set off the Pro-England alarm about an hour ago! Where the f**k have you been?

It's too late now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good point.

To be honest, and I have just admitted as much to Sam (Chesney), I lost my point quite a while back, it's more that I just get incredibly annoyed with how negative people are about England. It does my head in. As it would if it was the Albion. I can't help but want to defend England, like I said.

Simster - you are right, I am wrong. I will admit I have talked some bollocks on this thread. I'm not going to be stubborn and pretend I haven't.

That is spot on.

you're like me Mello - I've admitted I get so passionate I come accross deluded. But the negative shit aimed at Eng on here is a joke considering we're meant to follow a fairly shit lg 1 football club (till the last yr!)...

Oh well - it takes a big man so say he's been wrong / comes accross wrong.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good point.

To be honest, and I have just admitted as much to Sam (Chesney), I lost my point quite a while back, it's more that I just get incredibly annoyed with how negative people are about England. It does my head in. As it would if it was the Albion. I can't help but want to defend England, like I said.

Simster - you are right, I am wrong. I will admit I have talked some bollocks on this thread. I'm not going to be stubborn and pretend I haven't.
Good man. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I don't agree with Icy that the England we saw this summer was the worst ever, but I do remain disillusioned about the whole set up and do agree with him that we are massively underachieving and basically shite when you stack up our resources and passion for the game.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

You can thank me for that U-turn, Simster. I just had a little pep-talk with him.

Right, I'm now off to do some work for the final 12 minutes of my working day as I haven't been able to get any done for half an hour or so reading all this sillyness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good man. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I don't agree with Icy that the England we saw this summer was the worst ever, but I do remain disillusioned about the whole set up and do agree with him that we are massively underachieving and basically shite when you stack up our resources and passion for the game.

The important thing is, we all had fun.

You OLD bastard.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not your place to decide that, as you haven't got a scooby how passionate I used to be. If you can be arsed to read my responses on this thread you will understand why I have given up on them.

I'm judging it on the fact i'd never turn my back or lose my passion even if we were Scotland so don't see how you can. Yes I've missed a lot on this thread and can't really be arse tralling through the same old shit (no offence honestly meant.). Prob best to let it go now... It's a game of opinions...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm always impressed with people's commitment to watching England games on the box or live. I'm just not someone who spends his time watching friendlies, or European or World Cup qualifiers, although I will watch us in the tournaments themselves.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Culminating in the Germany debacle, yep I stand by it. I am trying to think of another game where we looked as incompetent and off the pace all over the pitch and ended up so well beaten. Take the players we had, the quality of the opposition in those 4 games and I haven't seen worse display from an England team that I actually remember.
Ah well there you go. I disagree - too many scars from other England debacles. In fact given the team we had out there (and whatever their individual merits they've proved time and time and time again that their collective whole is crap) we actually did reasonably well!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

That is very good point as well, however I think one goes hand in hand with the other.

England = Premier League
Premier League = Bad (in most cases because we're not in it)

I think even someone said on this thread that they don't care about the overpaid pre-madonnas that play for England, which is fair enough. But I'm sure if you ask them whether they'd rather be playing in division 1 with a team full of internationals or division 3 with a team full park footballers they'll all (with the odd exception) give you the same answer.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mullered by the Germans and you can say that? Now YOU are having a laugh :lolol:
Ah but at least we got there! We qualified for the tournament and got (staggered) out of the group. As has been pointed out we don't have a good record in tournaments (one dodgy home win and two semi-final appearances in sixty years), so, yes, by our standards getting as far as we did before losing to a nation who have always historically been better than us is NOT our worst ever performance.

(Why, given the place football has in English culture, we have histoircally been so poor and why Germany have always been better than us is of course another question)

EDIT: Actually I think it's three semi-finals as we came 3rd in Euro 1968

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah but at least we got there! We qualified for the tournament and got (staggered) out of the group. As has been pointed out we don't have a good record in tournaments (one dodgy home win and two semi-final appearances in sixty years), so, yes, by our standards getting as far as we did before losing to a nation who have always historically been better than us is NOT our worst ever performance.

(Why, given the place football has in English culture, we have histoircally been so poor and why Germany have always been better than us is of course another question)
We were mediocre from the start. I'd have taken a draw and a win from our opening two games but we didn't and didn't deserve to win either of them. We then scraped past (1-0) a team from a 2m populated country and most people would struggle to put a pin on a globe for its location. We then got battered by the Germans. As usual.

We shouldn't ever compare ourselves to the Germans in footballing terms. We are not rivals to them in any way. It's like West Ham v Orient.

France or Spain are better comparisons, IMO. Germany has similar footballing passion but is wealthier, has nearly twice as many people and is far far better organised infrastructurally. France is only slightly bigger, Spain slightly smaller, and our football infrastructure ought to be comparable. The fact that it isn't is the real disgrace here, and we have the useless FA to blame for that.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It pisses me off how deluded some England fans are about why we've been failures for years.

Part of the problem is the Premier League. It's highly unlikely that problem will ever be solved.

Why we never try to learn from superior countries is a joke in itself.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It pisses me off how deluded some England fans are about why we've been failures for years.

Part of the problem is the Premier League. It's highly unlikely that problem will ever be solved.

Why we never try to learn from superior countries is a joke in itself.

I agree the EPL is part of the problem, it is a maginificent league and the envy of the world but leaves our players jaded come the end of the season. Problem is are people willing to trade the product of the EPL for the sake of the national side who only play 6 or 7 times a year and a major tournament every other year.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I bloody love England. They were a f***ing disgrace in the World Cup and won't win anything anytime soon. However I love football and I'm patriotic, the England football team will win something eventually and all this wait will be worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here