Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eng-er-land

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd say giving Wembley a miss is an excellent way to show your apathy.

Funnily enough, I'm moderately patriotic myself. I love the fact that we do lots of things right in this country. Sadly, football at the highest level is not one of them. Or at least, I maintain we are massively underachieving owing to the incompetence and lack of vision of the people at the top.

Yet you know there will still be people filling Wembley, so it's hardly an active call to arms for things to change is it? Do you not think more needs to be done to affect a change at the FA?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here is Mellatron watching England play

Attachments

• head-in-sand-1024x808[1].jpg
    head-in-sand-1024x808[1].jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 92

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I saw the Algeria game. And the Germany one. They were horrific.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
*Desperately looks around for Sheebo*

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I would've gone if it weren't the Charlton game this weekend.

Going to the France friendly though, Going with my French mate which should be fun

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, I'm really not. :thumbsup: I haven't even made that big a deal of that hilarious 180 degree turn you made within 2 sentences, bar a little boldening.
I'm afraid you are. You've been hopelessly owned, Mellotron. I think the funniest bit was when you quoted other nations as bad as us; Spain and the Netherlands. :lolol: :lolol: That just about trumps your notion that India and USA would be doing better than England using my metrics. :lolol:

And you'll have to be a little more specific wrt that hilarious 180 degree turn. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't deviated at all from my position, which has always been that we have grossly underachieved for 50 years for a nation of our resources and passion for the game.

Looking forward to some more "keep up old man", pat on the head patronising nonsense from NSC's favourite know-it-all 25 year old or whatever. :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Going to the France friendly though, Going with my French mate which should be fun

Why? Why do you support England, they're shit mate!

I support Argentina and Brazil and Spain and Holland and they are the goodest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm afraid you are. You've been hopelessly owned, Mellotron. I think the funniest bit was when you quoted other nations as bad as us; Spain and the Netherlands. :lolol: :lolol: That just about trumps your notion that India and USA would be doing better than England using my metrics. :lolol:

And you'll have to be a little more specific wrt that hilarious 180 degree turn. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't deviated at all from my position, which has always been that we have grossly underachieved for 50 years for a nation of our resources and passion for the game.

Looking forward to some more "keep up old man", pat on the head patronising nonsense from NSC's favourite know-it-all 25 year old or whatever. :lolol:

You're like a tabloid, constantly taking things out of context. Spain up until 4 years ago was 100% relevant.

I boldened the bits that you needed to see, went over your head clearly.

My "keep up old man" was quite clearly a nod to your put down, surprised you didn't pick up on that...either.

I'm sure you can keep this up all evening Simster, "owning" (nice phrase) people on internet message boards. Nice to see you getting a little bit personal before the end there. Classy. I'm off.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have NEVER seem a worse performance over 4 games from an England team as I saw at the last world cup. I don't care if you agree or not tbh.

Bloody hell. Are you sure you're not just saying this to be deliberately argumentative? We all agree England's world cup performances were poor (no point in going over all that again) but worst performances over four games ever? Not even close. Euro 88 finals and the 1994 W.C. qualifiers spring immediately to mind - and we weren't exactly earth-shattering in 2006 either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It'll be fun for the Frenchman. They are slowly getting it together under Blanc and will probably hand us a footballing lesson.

I will be very happy to be proved wrong but contrary to what Mellotron and Crodonilson probaly think, I don't think our players are as good.

France: H. Lloris – A. Reveillere, A. Rami, P. Mexes, G. Clichy – A. Diarra, Y. MVila, M. Valbuena – S. Nasri, F. Malouda, K. Benzema

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In the meantime, I maintain that a perpetual "world ranking" of 8th-10th and an honours list that amounts to one win and 3 semis in the past 30 tournaments is absolute shite for a footballing nation of our stature, and I am totally f***ed off that the FA never EVER seem to want to do anything about it.

Have a read of this.

Goes a long way to explain why the FA aren't doing anything about it and why they are not likely to. Also shows why our international record is so poor when you compare the investment put in by the FA against that of our rivals.

For a country with such a proud footballing history we are light years behind but it's ok because we've got the best domestic league in the world!! Yeah righto!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Yet you know there will still be people filling Wembley, so it's hardly an active call to arms for things to change is it? Do you not think more needs to be done to affect a change at the FA?

If I live till say, 75, I would say its a far bet that at some stage I will march into FA Headquarters and go on a murderous rampage. Words cannot express how much I detest and despise the FA as an organisation. Words cannot express how sickeningly incompetent they are. In fact, just thinking about them is making me angry now so I will finish this post........... NOW.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're like a tabloid, constantly taking things out of context. Spain up until 4 years ago was 100% relevant.

I boldened the bits that you needed to see, went over your head clearly.

My "keep up old man" was quite clearly a nod to your put down, surprised you didn't pick up on that...either.

I'm sure you can keep this up all evening Simster, "owning" (nice phrase) people on internet message boards. Nice to see you getting a little bit personal before the end there. Classy. I'm off.
You boldened the "last 50 years" thing. I'm not quite sure why.

"Owning"? Do I need to do a search for the word to prove that you've used it too? Because we both know you have.
"Personal"? You can't use phrases like "keep up old man" and then not expect a bit back!

Have a read of this.

Goes a long way to explain why the FA aren't doing anything about it and why they are not likely to. Also shows why our international record is so poor when you compare the investment put in by the FA against that of our rivals.

For a country with such a proud footballing history we are light years behind but it's ok because we've got the best domestic league in the world!! Yeah righto!
Yep, I think that says it all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Personal"? You can't use phrases like "keep up old man" and then not expect a bit back!

I thought that would be clearly taken in jest as a riposte to your "pay attention" comment. No? Oh well.

I would say that "patronising nonsense from know-it-all" is a SMIDGE more personal, no?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought that would be clearly taken in jest as a riposte to your "pay attention" comment. No? Oh well.

I would say that "patronising nonsense from know-it-all" is a SMIDGE more personal, no?
You do seem VERY sensitive on this subject. Who'd have thought it from somebody whose opening gambit on this thread was this:

Is that the THICKEST sentence ever? Someone believes what they read in the rubbish papers clearly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That is a very good point. Could I just walk away, I reckon I probably could if they pissed me off enough, after all I did used to be a big England fan :shrug:

No you weren't - if you were you wouldn't abandon the team as you have. And like someone else said earlier on the thread you wouldn't do it to Albion and we've been consistantly more shit week in week out than England in our respective league...!

Or could it be that you and Sheebo will not accept that we look great until we come up against a decent team and then we look 2nd rate? I'd love us to be good I've just been let down way too many times to believe the hype that people like you and Sheebo believe before every tournament. We very very seldom live up to the hype and it gets a bit wearing after a couple of decades.

It's not a desire for England to disappoint, it's an expectation and the players generally do turn out to be rubbish on the big stage.

To be honest I just LOVE the feeling before Euros and WCs - the country getting excited etc- and I always will. I never once said we'd win the WC - I said Spain would (and was right :lol:) but i pointed out we had a good chance which we did and always have done - if we played to potential.

As for coming up against a good team - that's rubbish. Croatia were v good as you know and we DESTROYED them home and away. Algeria were poor really and we were awful that night. We just didn't turn up at the WC it was nothing to do with opposition. You'd have surely said England were at least as good if not better than Germany before the WC started? Most people did - the bookies did etc...

I don't delude myself but I have a passion for football and for being English (i'm prob one of the few people on here really hoping for England to catch india in the commonwealths medal table!?). I do come accross deluded on here on England threads at times and when i read things back I realise that at times - for me it's just my passion - the complete opposite to how you feel it seems...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody hell. Are you sure you're not just saying this to be deliberately argumentative? We all agree England's world cup performances were poor (no point in going over all that again) but worst performances over four games ever? Not even close. Euro 88 finals and the 1994 W.C. qualifiers spring immediately to mind - and we weren't exactly earth-shattering in 2006 either.

Culminating in the Germany debacle, yep I stand by it. I am trying to think of another game where we looked as incompetent and off the pace all over the pitch and ended up so well beaten. Take the players we had, the quality of the opposition in those 4 games and I haven't seen worse display from an England team that I actually remember.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You do seem VERY sensitive on this subject. Who'd have thought it from somebody whose opening gambit on this thread was this:

Good point.

To be honest, and I have just admitted as much to Sam (Chesney), I lost my point quite a while back, it's more that I just get incredibly annoyed with how negative people are about England. It does my head in. As it would if it was the Albion. I can't help but want to defend England, like I said.

Simster - you are right, I am wrong. I will admit I have talked some bollocks on this thread. I'm not going to be stubborn and pretend I haven't.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Weren't you one of the scores of people on here saying things like

"I just couldn't care about england anymore and dont think I ever will again"

And crap like that, you've certainly changed your tune and are now happy to laud it over people that either smartly saw it coming and mile off or actually stuck to their guns and still dont care?

Erm - NO! You couldn't be more wrong - you've got the wrong person. Lots of people tell me I come accross as England's biggest fan on here and some will say I'm deluded.

I would like it if Mellotron / Chesney Christ / Brovian / Simster / Hans Kraay / Herr T or someone on here can just confirm this for you.

Looks like you've gone out of your way to pick a fight here - not a wise move really. I'll await the apology no?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No you weren't - if you were you wouldn't abandon the team as you have.

Not your place to decide that, as you haven't got a scooby how passionate I used to be. If you can be arsed to read my responses on this thread you will understand why I have given up on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here