Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downtime next week [Apple content] - iPad 3/HD day today!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1737]METALMICKY[/MENTION] not sure why I was quite so tetchy over the simple matter of some SD cards!

you are speaking to a convert, but one who thinks apple have it wrong for not including removable storage on the iPad.

As others have said - they've been working on iCloud and iTunes Match for a long time, and clearly didn't want users to become 'used' to have the option of additional storage which they'd then remove when these services went live. It's one of the 'joys' of having a single regulated ecosystem (ignoring my sarcasm, there are plenty of real advantages).

I would like to get into Apple products, as I understand that they are better than the competition - the issue I have is that I currently have none, and to truly get the full benefits of the ecosystem I'd need to spend an absolute fortune (e.g. on an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and MacBook) which I don't have, and I don't see the benefits of buying any one individual part (given the high costs involved).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As others have said - they've been working on iCloud and iTunes Match for a long time, and clearly didn't want users to become 'used' to have the option of additional storage which they'd then remove when these services went live. It's one of the 'joys' of having a single regulated ecosystem (ignoring my sarcasm, there are plenty of real advantages).

How does that work when you're on a flight, or in an area where you do not have access to WiFi or 3G? A Micro SD card would have neither of those problems.

How does that work when you're on a flight, or in an area where you do not have access to WiFi or 3G? A Micro SD card would have neither of those problems.

I agree entirely, and am very grateful for my ability to install extra memory into my HTC phone; but Apple probably reason that the 8/16/32GB of inbuilt storage is enough for those occasions.

One of the advantages of the 'open' Android system of licensing is that if one hardware maker doesn't do what you want then you can pick another; and as such things that are in the consumers interests tend to be included pretty quickly as standard.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I'm hoping that the iPad 3 will be a kick ass tablet with loads of new features so that I can justify buying one to replace my original iPad.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm hoping that the iPad 3 will be a kick ass tablet with loads of new features so that I can justify buying one to replace my original iPad.

You might be disappointed then. Other than better screen and faster, what other features can they add? Most improvements come in the software via iOS updates.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
As there are a lot of Apple gurus on here can someone help me with an Iphone ?
Saving contacts from a Iphone

Much appreciated.

Not sure about the first generation iPhone, but you may need to back up your iPhone by right clicking on device when connected to mac/PC in iTunes (not syncing). When this is done update to latest software, then do a restore (same way) so it puts all your data back on your phone, then go into settings on mac/pc and set up an i cloud account and this copies anything across. I am not an expert but this is how I did it on an i phone 3.

If in doubt book a free (think they are) 15 minutes with a genius at the apple store on Churchill Square, I am sure they would show you how in seconds.

Apple Retail Store (United Kingdom) - Churchill Square

Click on genius (on the right) learn more

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Just use the camera kit as described here: TidBITS iPhone iPad iPod: Increase Your iPad Media Storage for Just $49. Easy.

But, if you can't store enough media on a stock iPad to get you through a flight then you're doing something wrong.

It's all very well, sticking a 5 year old iphone reader in the ipad, but it seems a little clumsy considering this is Apple we're talking about, and again, it's a little gadget, prone to getting forgotten, lost, or pocket fluffed up.

As for storage and space, I'm not doing anything wrong, I keep a lot of PDFs and photos on my iPad for work, they take up a lot of the space, I often have to remove stuff from it to make more space, ideally, all my work related stuff would be on a memory card, then no need for swapping stuff off and on all the time. I know it won't happen, Apple believe we all live in a WiFi/3G world, well that doesn't stack up in this country.

My point in my original post is that with Windows Tablet about to launch, despite Apple fans preference for all things Apple, from a business point of view, and for work for me, and many others, a tablet with removeable storage could become more attractive. I don't understand how hard it is for Apple to not see this as anything but a positive request.

So iCloud is an option, if you can get connected, but then it costs, and 20GB of data costs more than a memory card, and you have to pay annually.

Please note, I am a fan of Apple products, I have many of them, and use them all the time, and will probably choose to do so for the foreseeable future, I would just like to see this one tiny improvement to this product.

It's all very well, sticking a 5 year old iphone reader in the ipad, but it seems a little clumsy considering this is Apple we're talking about, and again, it's a little gadget, prone to getting forgotten, lost, or pocket fluffed up.

I agree with this.

My point in my original post is that with Windows Tablet about to launch, despite Apple fans preference for all things Apple, from a business point of view, and for work for me, and many others, a tablet with removeable storage could become more attractive. I don't understand how hard it is for Apple to not see this as anything but a positive request.

The same could be said for Android tablets (which do have at least USB use) but it hasn't happened at all. I can see that a tablet running the same OS as a desktop could have advantages, but the latest Windows Phone have received a pretty mixed press and my understanding is that most people aren't very optimistic about the prospects for Windows 8 in the mobile/tablet space.

So iCloud is an option, if you can get connected, but then it costs, and 20GB of data costs more than a memory card, and you have to pay annually.

This is entirely the point. Under the current system, subscribe to iCloud and you have to give money, annually, directly to Apple. Alternatively, Apple include the ability to read from SD card, lose the subscription and don't sell any memory cards as everyone buys the stock ones from Amazon on the cheap. How on earth is that to Apple's advantage?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The same could be said for Android tablets (which do have at least USB use) but it hasn't happened at all. I can see that a tablet running the same OS as a desktop could have advantages, but the latest Windows Phone have received a pretty mixed press and my understanding is that most people aren't very optimistic about the prospects for Windows 8 in the mobile/tablet space.

This is entirely the point. Under the current system, subscribe to iCloud and you have to give money, annually, directly to Apple. Alternatively, Apple include the ability to read from SD card, lose the subscription and don't sell any memory cards as everyone buys the stock ones from Amazon on the cheap. How on earth is that to Apple's advantage?

Android tablets are a bit shit, well the ones I've tried are. There are mixed reports about the Windows offering but I have heard some very good things, but for sure it will be a specifc OS option for tablets, not bought on a CD, but coming preinstalled on the devices, as is iOS and Android.

And of course I understand Apples process for iCloud, its a money making thing for them, and let's face it, they have never been backward in that area. But if they lose sales to other products, surely that will be a greater loss to them than getting iCloud subscribers. :shrug:

Android tablets are a bit shit, well the ones I've tried are. There are mixed reports about the Windows offering but I have heard some very good things, but for sure it will be a specifc OS option for tablets, not bought on a CD, but coming preinstalled on the devices, as is iOS and Android.

And of course I understand Apples process for iCloud, its a money making thing for them, and let's face it, they have never been backward in that area. But if they lose sales to other products, surely that will be a greater loss to them than getting iCloud subscribers. :shrug:

My understanding is that Windows 8 is designed for both desktops and tablets - i.e. that it will be the same operating system on both. This could lead to some very smart synergies potentially. Not sure of the details though.

My point is (so far at least) Apple haven't so far lost any market share through the lack of an SD card slot. You're talking about a hypothetical situation where they may in the future lose it - I think that's unlikely; as 3G/4G and wifi coverage improves, the cloud is going to become a more viable solution, not less.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
My understanding is that Windows 8 is designed for both desktops and tablets - i.e. that it will be the same operating system on both. This could lead to some very smart synergies potentially. Not sure of the details though.

My point is (so far at least) Apple haven't so far lost any market share through the lack of an SD card slot. You're talking about a hypothetical situation where they may in the future lose it - I think that's unlikely; as 3G/4G and wifi coverage improves, the cloud is going to become a more viable solution, not less.

As I understand it, W8 will have a dedicated version for tablets/mobile, written and configured specifically for ARM processors. There will also be a number Office compatible apps built into the tablet version. We shall have to wait and see.

My point was, that I would be pleased to see an iPad3 (or 2S) with an SD card slot, as it would put it straight at the top of my shopping list to replace my current ipad. I very much doubt I will by a W8 tablet regardless, although I can see businesses doing so, my company included, which would help me workwise.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They have nearly $100bn in cash so they can forward buy vast quantities of all components to a level no-one else can compete with.

Interesting piece in the is week's Private Eye (1308) about the mounting pressure on Apple over the human rights records of its suppliers. Despite Apple's vast, vast cash mountain, it seems ethics don't figure very high up their list of priorities. One of the companies to be investigated is the notorious Foxconn, scene of mass worker suicides, a fatal explosion and "slave-like" conditions, reports the Eye.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
You might be disappointed then. Other than better screen and faster, what other features can they add? Most improvements come in the software via iOS updates.

In reality, I'll probably get one anyway because it will look better, run faster and be better quality than any other tablet available including my original iPad. I didn't see the advantage of upgrading to an iPad 2 but I'm hoping that the 3 will be that much better therefore justifying (to myself) the additional purchase!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Regarding an SD slot on a future Ipad. I see Apple don't provide one on the 17inch MacBook Pros, but do on the smaller screen size models. Grrr! Anyway, if they are worried about the cash cow ICloud they could do a Sony and go for a proprietary slot. Wouldn't be popular but Sony seem to get away with it.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I've heard the announcement will be iPad 3, I know there is supposed to be a new iOS software release on the 9th as well but don't think that warrants an announcement as such. Been waiting quite a long time for this new software though as it is supposed to fix AirPlay issues from an iPhone 4S :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here